Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:08 pm

When They Say, "Get A Life" What are They meaning exactly?

I have a perfectly viable happy existance-

But I'm plauged with not understanding what their version of what it, a person's existance, should be-in general.

I know they are actually meaning something....-but what is it. How unfairly unclear!

If I could find out I could infiltrate their ranks more subtley...mu hah hah hah

That is if I could stand it.

In the meantime. Does anyone have a Stuctured Definition of what an NT life entails?

I'd be interested to know. It would help me not offend them so much. And I could stop cramming my version down their throats for awhile. You know. I'd like to understand them more.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Last edited by SeaBright on 30 Jan 2007, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

30 Jan 2007, 12:18 pm

It means:

Someone thinner than you.
Someone cuter than you.
Someone richer than you.
Someone who is more famous than you.
Someone who lives a jet set life.
Someone less crazier than you.
Someone with common hobbies like golf.
Someone with better social status than you.
etc

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 12:22 pm

Hey, was this inspired by my comment in one of the other threads? Cool. 8) When somebody says "get a life" to me, I assume they refer to my relative lack of social development compared to an average individual. But perhaps there's more than that? If somebody is doing something another considers silly or childish, the same response might be elicited. It's definitely something worth thinking about, since I'm constantly told that phrase.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:48 pm

nicklegends wrote:
Hey, was this inspired by my comment in one of the other threads? Cool. 8) When somebody says "get a life" to me, I assume they refer to my relative lack of social development compared to an average individual. But perhaps there's more than that? If somebody is doing something another considers silly or childish, the same response might be elicited. It's definitely something worth thinking about, since I'm constantly told that phrase.

No. But post link? 8)

I mean outside of the 'put down' version of it. Even in 'put down' commentary they are referring to.....something....

is it.
Married and completly unhappy with waaaay to many kids.
And some boring acceptable hobby-such as tupperware. (though tupperware IS cool)
And church on sundays.
Avon sales
or a job at the strip club.
and tri weekly tans.
or... what?

I grasp and think....but no one is sticking the bottle in my hand on this one.

I think they DO actually have an acceptable format for living. I just can't get one of them to SPELL IT OUT.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:49 pm

It's useless. nevermind.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:50 pm

In markaudette's dictionary, "Get a life." means "You're a tool."

:wink:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:03 pm

To me it means having more than just a job. It might mean more to them. I never use the expression, but I have been known to say, "You need a girlfriend," to people who seem to have too much time on their hands. :)

- Emerson

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 1:03 pm

SeaBright wrote:
nicklegends wrote:
Hey, was this inspired by my comment in one of the other threads?

No. But post link? 8)

Yeah, there's a link to my post here. On second thought, the whole topic was more or less about getting a life, but I can't take back my words at this point. ;) It's definitely a frustrating phrase to hear, so I'm glad I can hear other people's interpretations.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:05 pm

In Alternative's meaning of NT phrases, "Get A Life" is a phrase that the opposing person uses as a last resort as they can't think of anything else to say to you after either being proved wrong by you, or you telling them something useless to them.

That's how I see the phrase though.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:08 pm

SeaBright wrote:
nicklegends wrote:

No. But post link? 8)

I mean outside of the 'put down' version of it. Even in 'put down' commentary they are referring to.....something....

is it.
Married and completly unhappy with waaaay to many kids.
And some boring acceptable hobby-such as tupperware. (though tupperware IS cool)
And church on sundays.
Avon sales
or a job at the strip club.
and tri weekly tans.
or... what?

I grasp and think....but no one is sticking the bottle in my hand on this one.

I think they DO actually have an acceptable format for living. I just can't get one of them to SPELL IT OUT.

Yes, they mean your list and yes, they think this is actually a life. Don't overthink it. Trust me, they don't. The typical NT thought process about life consists of about 5 seconds of actual thought and 5000 hours of emotional drama in which THEY are trying to figure out what kind of life they should have to fit in with everyone else. In other words, their so-called life is an illusion. If you started asking questions about this 'life,' you would quickly discover that it has no real meaning to them at all, it is merely what they think they should be doing with their life. They do not get the concept of actually having a life of their own that they thought up and they make the decision of having.

When one of them actually crosses that line and shows me that they have made a rational decision about the life they actually chose instead of blindly following what they were told to do or thought they should do, then I will change this theory. Until then, my findings are 100% that the above is true. That being the case, I know only enough to get along with them peacefully and I do not put myself out any further to deal with the irrationals.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:09 pm

People have told me that wasting time on philosophy is stupid. They say this as they force themselves infront of the T.V. for 4 hours a night where they then pass out. Oh, during that time, I like to think their brain is turned off.

Oh, as for random socializing. Asking about the weather is a waste of time and discussions that follow are a waste of time. If this is what they think a "life" is, then I'm lost on it.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:19 pm

get a life is a short way of expressign dissaproval with a person or their actions.
suggest to much time on their hands to persue pointless obsessions which all aspies do, because we make time to do stuff.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:23 pm

I think NT's say this when we blurt out something they know very little, or nothing about. For instance, some NT might mention they heard something about the Hubble telescope on the news. (They don't read, they listen to bubble-headed news readers.) And one of us blurts out a five minute recitation regarding the Hubble telescope, the budget of NASA, and why it should be repaired and kept in orbit. To the NT, they've just been shown up as being "dumb" regarding the subject. So the first thing that comes into their dim reptilian mind is to mock us, and say "Geta Life!!" What they value is conformity. "Let's all do something different together ! !!" I'm amazed at how they fret over 'fitting in'. It's whatever direction the herd is going. The NT life slogan is "The nail that sticks up, gets pounded down." They're scaredy cats when it comes to actually doing and being different. We make them sweat, so they attack us. Simple, really.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 1:41 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I think NT's say this when we blurt out something they know very little, or nothing about. For instance, some NT might mention they heard something about the Hubble telescope on the news. (They don't read, they listen to bubble-headed news readers.) And one of us blurts out a five minute recitation regarding the Hubble telescope, the budget of NASA, and why it should be repaired and kept in orbit. To the NT, they've just been shown up as being "dumb" regarding the subject. So the first thing that comes into their dim reptilian mind is to mock us, and say "Geta Life!!" What they value is conformity. "Let's all do something different together ! !!" I'm amazed at how they fret over 'fitting in'. It's whatever direction the herd is going. The NT life slogan is "The nail that sticks up, gets pounded down." They're scaredy cats when it comes to actually doing and being different. We make them sweat, so they attack us. Simple, really.

You got it. Seabright, why exactly are you talking to these people? Are you being forced to do so?

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 2:00 pm

When people aren't trying to be mean but say "get a life," I think they are, in a way, worried about you. Fun and relaxation for most NTs is very different from fun for most of us. For them, for the most part, it is hanging out with friends, watching a movie, going to the bar/getting drunk, shooting pool, etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but my enjoyment comes from very different things. Most of the time people worry about me when I'm spending an absurd amount of time teching a play. For them it is work but for me it is different. Equipment failures are actually enjoyable for me so long as they don't interfere with other things because the process for fixing them are a lot like a simplified version of a differential diagnosis on House. I don't have any close friends so hanging out with people is usually a non-option. Some aspects of my school work is also pleasurable for me. I've been working on a massive essay on Ethics for over 3 months now. I already got an A- for the uncompleted work and the class is over but I am going to continue to work on it because I think I am on to something significant (and possibly publishable). All of my class mates were essentially telling me to get a life when they found out I was doing much more than the minimum requirements. The pursuit of knowledge (so long as it is not jumping through hoops) is very fun for me.

I think that most NTs just can't imagine the things that aren't fun for them are fun for anyone else and then they think that all we do is work work work. I have become reasonably satisfied with my life even though it, apparently, is without fun or relaxation just because I get my fun and relaxation from other sources.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 6:28 pm

markaudette wrote:
In markaudette's dictionary, "Get a life." means "You're a tool."

:wink:

To which I would take that as a compliment:

While still being aware that i am not getting the phrase "tool" in this context.

Hearing your a tool, my first thought is "wtf, tools are good things"

What is it to be a tool?