Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CTCD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2007, 11:01 pm

I'm FINALLY getting contacts because I refused to wear glasses which were driving me insane.

What are they like?

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2007, 11:18 pm

For me, a pain in the ass, but other people seem to like them.

CTCD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2007, 11:19 pm

NeoPlatonist wrote:
For me, a pain in the ass, but other people seem to like them.

Explan why they are a pain in the ass

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 11:29 pm

Yeah, I've needed glasses for somewhere around 8 years but I never really wear them because they give me a headache sometimes, so I'm considering contacts as well.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 11:40 pm

I need contacts. I hope to get coloured ones. :)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 11:45 pm

So far, almost every quirk of mine has been explained by AS. One more quirk.....

My eyes have a mind of their own. I only had ONE glaucoma test in my life, and NOT for lack of trying! I doubt I could wear contacts. 8-(

Steve

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:12 am

I can't handle contacts; the notion of having to stick them in my eye totally freaks me out. So I wear glasses, which is fine with me. I only need them to drive and to see something across the room.

ammerique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2007, 12:29 am

I used to hate wearing glasses until I started wearing contacts... due to my high degree of shortsightness and astigmatism I don't have the luxury of getting disposable lenses...

the ordeal then starts of having to clean them, deproteinise them weekly etc and not to mention the costs of getting cleaning solutions and tablets.. after a year I gave up and when back to hassle free glasses

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 3:02 am

I can't stand putting things in my eyes. I even struggle with eyedrops.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 3:07 am

I have astigmatism and am very nearsighted.I wore contacts for years because I thought they looked better then glasses.I had enough trouble attracting a boyfriend.I thought they were a pain because I was always ripping them.I liked to be outside walking in woods and any dust in my eyes seemed to get trapped under the lens and drive me nuts,my eyes always felt dry and sratchy.I tolerated all the above for about 20 years out of insecurity about my appearance. I am "off the market" now,so dont have to bother with how I look.

I was never bothered by sticking my fingers in my eyes to put them in but trying to wash them between two fingers requires more digital control then I have.I was always pressing to hard and ripping them.If you can get the disposable kind it probably is no big deal...but back in the 80's,contacts for astigmatism cost $100.-$200.a pair...that can get pricey real quick.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

30 Jan 2007, 11:34 am

Yeah I hate contacts to. Funny thing is everyyear my glasses rx gets stronger but my glasses get smaller. I bought some from a mail order place http://www.39dollarglasses.com/ I think thier made in France. Super thin Seiko® 1.67 Super High-Index Lenses
and I get an anti-reflective coating. Those special features add about $50 to the cost so like $90 and I got an excellent pair of glassses.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:47 pm

I've worn contacts since the soft ones hit the market. I don't have a choice, because I'm soooo nearsighted if I wore glasses, they'd be the veritable coke bottle thickness. As to putting them in, that's no problem, they pop in. BUT I hate taking them out as you have to pinch them on your eye to remove them. (UGH) They've gotten much slimmer and comfortable over the years. I couldn't live without them, to tell the truth. Sometimes I wonder what really nearsighted people did before contacts were invented???

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 5:07 pm

I've worn contacts for 12 years now, and I had glasses for years before that. Well, I still have glasses, for those times when I can't wear my contacts.

The contacts can take some getting used to if you're hypersensitive, like me. It's like having a quarter of an eyelash in your eye all the time. You can feel it, but it's not the holy-crap-searing-pain of actually having an eyelash in your eye. Glasses make me sore behind the ears, so I get pain/discomfort either way.

CTCD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2007, 5:50 pm

Mnemosyne wrote:
I've worn contacts for 12 years now, and I had glasses for years before that. Well, I still have glasses, for those times when I can't wear my contacts.

The contacts can take some getting used to if you're hypersensitive, like me. It's like having a quarter of an eyelash in your eye all the time. You can feel it, but it's not the holy-crap-searing-pain of actually having an eyelash in your eye. Glasses make me sore behind the ears, so I get pain/discomfort either way.

Uh oh now I'm worried

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

30 Jan 2007, 5:59 pm

CTCD wrote:
Mnemosyne wrote:

Uh oh now I'm worried

soft lenes were no problem for me. But the rigid gas permeabale ones I hated.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 6:17 pm

I'm nearsighted....I've tried for contacts 3 times over the years....I could never get adjusted to them being in my eyes. One time I wore them for months trying to convince myself I would finally get adjusted to them with time...they made me about nuts. :(