The unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RandyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2013, 1:58 am

Sometimes I feel like that is the case with me. Often times when I really want to work on something I tend to put just about everything into it. But other times I've had were no matter how hard I try, I just feel like I cannot be bothered to do it. This often happens when I've had to write essays for college. Something simple like a 3 page essay takes me 2-3 days to write (mainly due to the fact that I mostly don't care about the forced subjects.).

realityIs

28 Oct 2013, 2:49 am

RandyM wrote:
Sometimes I feel like that is the case with me. Often times when I really want to work on something I tend to put just about everything into it. But other times I've had were no matter how hard I try, I just feel like I cannot be bothered to do it. This often happens when I've had to write essays for college. Something simple like a 3 page essay takes me 2-3 days to write (mainly due to the fact that I mostly don't care about the forced subjects.).

AAAhhh college papers. I put them off until too late and suffer....

What are you doing in that 2-3 days? Watching t.v.?

I think the general idea is to take every thing interesting away, and after X words you can do SOMETHING for Y minutes. Then when you are done, you are free. It then comes down to if you can carry out the plan.

I should take my own advice. Nevermind, I am just talking to myself. Sorry to have bothered you.

...arrgh .... didn't work. Ok what did work is to say 7 minutes of work and then a break of 2-3 min. This is my break - yeah (daydreaming :D) !

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2013, 5:35 am

A very familiar phenomenon to me. If something catches my interest it's nearly impossible to refrain from engaging in it; if something doesn't, it can be next to impossible to do it.

I wish I could give advice on how to handle it, but I don't really have a silver-bullet strategy for it. If I can make myself realise that pursuing interest X hinges on first taking care of uninteresting task Y, then that can help.