Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2015, 5:30 pm

Does anyone have anything to say about the speed at which we do things when we are on the spectrum?
I have been feeling really down recently, my health and circumstances took a dive, and this morning I
found a lot of comfort in doing things very slowly. I was alone.

It made me think of my cousin, who I believe is an aspie but doesn't know it. She has always been very slow moving
in everything she does. It used to make my mother angry, and my husband seems to just hate her, citing the slowness as one big reason. Actually I don't like her much either, but I think if she knew she was an aspie she'd be much easier to get on with. The pain of being treated badly for unknown reasons and always trying hard to please really twists undiagnosed aspies up.

Since my family is unaccepting like that, it makes me think, maybe my idea of the speed at which I should move when
doing housework (for example) is learned, not natural. Perhaps I have always been pushing my neurology
(word needed) to do things faster than it really can.

Perhaps I should slow down a lot, even if it makes my husband mad, I mean I don't have much to lose there.
What do you think?

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 6:10 pm

I do certain things extremely fast, other things extremely slow.

One has to go at one's own pace. One should not adjust one's pace for others (unless your pace makes you late for things).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 7:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do certain things extremely fast, other things extremely slow.

One has to go at one's own pace. One should not adjust one's pace for others (unless your pace makes you late for things).

I agree. Maybe a neurotypical can cope with being rushed, but I can't.

I seem to be like a juggernaut. I start slowly, I can get to a high speed if I'm given enough time, it can take me a while to come to a halt, and I can't change direction suddenly. I can get a huge volume of stuff moved (processed) in one go. Trying to use me as a small car is a misuse, likely to cause a crash, which can harm me, the driver, and the load.