Disconnection between pain and expression

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 5:23 pm

How many people here have a problem with not registering an expression that tells people you're in pain?

I was noticing the other day after cutting myself, that despite the pain, my face stayed expressionless. I think this is something that has caused problems with doctors I've seen; like maybe they didn't think me as serious because my expression was disconnected from the extreme pain I felt.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

I definately have a problem with that. I also have a problem putting my pain on a scale when they ask about your pain on a scale of one to ten.
The last time I was in hospital after the nurse asked me the one to ten question and I couldn't answer she said, "You know if you're not feeling pain you can say 0?" The thing is, I was in pain. I just couldn't plot it. If they gave some examples that I could relate to like 1 being a papercut and 10 being those migraines where you vomit and black out then that would make it easier.
I also tend to sit there quietly and space out instead of complaining.
It is a problem though. We don't get taken seriously.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 6:21 pm

I feel and look agitated for some time before I'm able to articulate being in pain. So often not taken seriously either.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 6:43 pm

It takes me a while to register that I have hurt myself, or to accurately express the level of pain I feel.
If its serious and I am aware of that, communicating about it makes me feel like I'm exaggerating, because I know there is a disconnect between the level of pain felt and how seriously I've injured myself... It felt like a bone snapped when I fell, but its not that sore

Its not a good thing, because by the time I can genuinely say I'm in agony the injury has worsened.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 10:35 pm

Amity wrote:
It takes me a while to register that I have hurt myself, or to accurately express the level of pain I feel.
If its serious and I am aware of that, communicating about it makes me feel like I'm exaggerating, because I know there is a disconnect between the level of pain felt and how seriously I've injured myself... It felt like a bone snapped when I fell, but its not that sore

Its not a good thing, because by the time I can genuinely say I'm in agony the injury has worsened.

When I broke my toe, the skin was broke open and I was bleeding a lot and all I could do was stare at it and go, "Oh, I broke my toe..." It hurt so bad, but my face didn't register it, I was so disconnected while still feeling it.
I need to learn how to show pain better so I don't get taken for an over-exaggerater. Whenever they ask me to pick a number on the pain scale, I usually think of XKCD: Pain Rating which obviously doesn't help, lol.

I have started thinking about the worst pain I've felt (I was going in and out of consciousness unable to speak) vs the every day pain I feel and figure something on that scale.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 5:26 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
Amity wrote:

When I broke my toe, the skin was broke open and I was bleeding a lot and all I could do was stare at it and go, "Oh, I broke my toe..." It hurt so bad, but my face didn't register it, I was so disconnected while still feeling it.
I need to learn how to show pain better so I don't get taken for an over-exaggerater. Whenever they ask me to pick a number on the pain scale, I usually think of XKCD: Pain Rating which obviously doesn't help, lol.

I have started thinking about the worst pain I've felt (I was going in and out of consciousness unable to speak) vs the every day pain I feel and figure something on that scale.

Being disconnected while feeling it... that is a good way of describing it, for me I don't know if this is adrenaline related/disassociation/hyposensitive. XKCD: Pain Rating, lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 6:26 am

Pain, for me, is often a "delayed" response. The only time I feel pain right away is when I stub my toe. Even when I fall, it takes a few minutes for the pain to really register.

The intensity of the pain I feel doesn't become "clear" until I've experienced it for fifteen minutes or so--or perhaps longer.

I don't think this is "abnormal," though. It's the nerves "catching up in time," so to speak

I've felt a decent amount of pain with paper cuts--probably up to a 4 a few times.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Pain, for me, is often a "delayed" response. The only time I feel pain right away is when I stub my toe. Even when I fall, it takes a few minutes for the pain to really register.

The intensity of the pain I feel doesn't become "clear" until I've experienced it for fifteen minutes or so--or perhaps longer.

I don't think this is "abnormal," though. It's the nerves "catching up in time," so to speak

I've felt a decent amount of pain with paper cuts--probably up to a 4 a few times.

Just thinking about paper cuts makes me feel the pain! *shudder* 8O

I just wish I could show people how I feel, rather than them assuming because my face doesn't match that I'm making it up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:34 pm

I know what you mean.

I once broke my wrist in a basketball game, and the coach insisted I "get back in there!" He thought I was a malingerer, and faking pain.

Fortunately, there was a kid who knew about wrist injuries playing, and saw right away that I had dislocated and broken my wrist.

If there's one thing that I'm NOT, it's a malingerer.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I definately have a problem with that. I also have a problem putting my pain on a scale when they ask about your pain on a scale of one to ten.
The last time I was in hospital after the nurse asked me the one to ten question and I couldn't answer she said, "You know if you're not feeling pain you can say 0?" The thing is, I was in pain. I just couldn't plot it. If they gave some examples that I could relate to like 1 being a papercut and 10 being those migraines where you vomit and black out then that would make it easier.
I also tend to sit there quietly and space out instead of complaining.
It is a problem though. We don't get taken seriously.

I don't feel most pain very much, so a serious injury doesn't appear to hurt me as much as it others. As far as that pain scale they have, I can't rate myself on it either, so I just tell them whatever they want to hear so that they will go away and let me go home. I've never bothered to look in a mirror when I have been injured, so I can't tell you if it registers or not. Probably not.