Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2013, 7:47 am

I know BMI values becomes less relevant the shorter or taller an individual is, but I'm also wondering if BMI values applies to autistics. My BMI reading tells me I should be 80kg, but I have never weighed that. I usually weigh 75kg, but at the moment I am struggling to get my weight past 70kg. I lost a lot of weight during my recent relationship bust-up, was down to 60kg. I'm over 6ft tall.

I wonder if BMI values apply to autistics, given our issues with eating and muscle tone. Any comments?

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:06 am

Ive no idea.

I have the opposite problem. Despite all the exercise I do I can't lose weight and I am carrying more than I need thanks to the antidepressants I was once taking.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:12 am

BMI is not accurate. It doesn't take into account body fat, waist size, age nor physical complexion.
This applies to all population.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:45 am

I just want to add my 2cents about BMI. I am a 57YO man and I exercise regularly and am a vegetarian. According to the BMI chart I am around 25lbs overweight. I feel healthy and decided not to try to apply someone else's standard for what I should weigh. The BMI does not take into account a person's physical stature or muscle weight. There was this little guy I used to work with that smoked and drank to excess; he was a beanpole but according to the BMI he was the standard of good health.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 9:01 am

Aspinator wrote:
I just want to add my 2cents about BMI. I am a 57YO man and I exercise regularly and am a vegetarian. According to the BMI chart I am around 25lbs overweight. I feel healthy and decided not to try to apply someone else's standard for what I should weigh. The BMI does not take into account a person's physical stature or muscle weight. There was this little guy I used to work with that smoked and drank to excess; he was a beanpole but according to the BMI he was the standard of good health.

That is a very good point!

I am overweight myself but don't smoke, rarely drink, eat a clean diet (even if not completely vegetarian) and feel physically healthy all the same.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Dec 2013, 11:32 am

Being overweight is a risk factor for cardiac disease, even if you eat reasonably healthily, exercise, and avoid smoking or drinking excessive alcohol.

And yes, it applies to autistic people too.

The main "problem" with BMI is that it fails for people with very high muscle mass, such as rugby players. Despite that, it is unhealthy to be overweight, even if you are otherwise healthy.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:43 am

neobluex wrote:
BMI is not accurate. It doesn't take into account body fat, waist size, age nor physical complexion.
This applies to all population.

Yes.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Being overweight is a risk factor for cardiac disease, even if you eat reasonably healthily, exercise, and avoid smoking or drinking excessive alcohol.

The main "problem" with BMI is that it fails for people with very high muscle mass, such as rugby players. Despite that, it is unhealthy to be overweight, even if you are otherwise healthy.

Well I wouldn't be overweight if the weight would move. I lost 9lbs then got stuck despite going to the gym 4 times a week, working weights, swimming, doing cardio, walking etc.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

BMI is a farce. My BMI is as high as 40-something (morbidly obese) ! !! But obviously that's not the case, as I have a body fat percentage of 4.9. Whoever came up with the hare-brained BMI chart is a moron.

[img][800:1024]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/kx250racer/Riptabs2013_zps1aa8fa37.jpg[/img]

Charles

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:23 pm

BMI doesn't work for me, if I weighed what it says I should weigh, I would feel very fat and unhealthy. It doesn't take into account my body type.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Dec 2013, 2:02 pm

bumble wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Well I wouldn't be overweight if the weight would move. I lost 9lbs then got stuck despite going to the gym 4 times a week, working weights, swimming, doing cardio, walking etc.

I wasn't saying "people with high BMIs are lazy slobs!", merely that high BMI is a risk factor for heart disease, even though some people with high BMIs are perfectly healthy muscle machines. If all you knew about two people was that one had a normal BMI and another had a high BMI, the smart money is on the high BMI one to develop heart disease. Of course, the normal BMI person could be a slouch who eats a low calorie diet, and the high BMI guy could play rugby for New Zealand, in which case you'd need to rethink things, but BMI is still a risk factor and not "hare-brained" or "inaccurate".

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:09 pm

I can't say that it's something I worry about to be perfectly honest. I just try and eat sensibly.