Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:15 pm

I live in mental health supported housing. Nobody here except me has any knowledge of autism.

Everyone else here is so social. Almost every time I leave my bedroom, I get someone wanting to interact socially with me. The carers visit every day and I can't bear them coercing me to go downstairs and talk with them and the other residents.

How can I get the message across to them that I'm autistic and I cannot cope with social situations?

I don't mind communicating by typing, it is speech that is difficult and exhausting.

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2013, 12:30 pm

Either tell to them how you feel about the situation face to face, or for example if you find that hard/uncomfortable how about writing them a letter?

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm

the letter is a good idea. I live in a rooming house and like to keep to myself. I have found that the more you try to keep to yourself the more people want to talk to you? let them know that it takes all your energy, even if it is just people talking to you and you do little talking. many people have come and gone, and a lot of people want to talk to me and not talk to everyone, they would knock on my door to ask me something even if their are other people around. they would bypass them(in the general area) and knock on my door. I find that making a joke out of it will get them to stop and not make me look like an a- hole in the process.
the caregivers are who you want to start with.