Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:46 am

If people with AS can be misdiagnosed with other conditions, why can't people with other conditions be misdiagnosed with AS? It seems like a lot of people here believe that everyone with an AS diagnosis must be on the spectrum.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

They can be misdiagnoses with AS, but it's less frequent because AS is more recent and health professionals have more experience and knowledge about disorders described, for example, 50 years ago, so they prefer give a well-established diagnosis in case of copmlicated cases.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

It is likely that people could get misdiagnosed with AS. However, the condition is kind of rare and the symptoms are kind of conspicuous. I don't think most practitioners know to diagnose someone with autism if they are on the higher-functioning side of the spectrum. Because of the rareness of AS and its recent addition as a diagnosis (then getting taken away), the much greater likelihood is that a person with AS will not get diagnosed because someone misses the signs. It took me seven years to find a psychologist who had any experience with AS because of where I live in the U.S. He gave me the diagnosis and I trust him because of his experience with the disorder. Other people just treated my depression.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

Of course people can get misdiagnosed with AS. I have seen posts online by people who say they were misdiagnosed because they can't identify themselves with the symptoms and they see their other "symptoms" were caused by other things like their environment. Sometimes kids are too quickly labeled over a few things like someone on the Social Anxiety forum said he was diagnosed with it because they thought he didn't have empathy (he chose to not care about others) and he said things that were inappropriate (he knew they were inappropriate but said them anyway. It sounded like he was diagnosed over those two "symptoms" and it just sounded like a bogus doctor he had or whoever made the diagnoses. Even a few members here have said in the past they were misdiagnosed with it as well.

I am also sure autism experts can misdiagnose autism too but it may be rare but mistakes happen.

I hear lot of people get diagnosed with it and they don't even have it and people who do actually have it tend to not get diagnosed. I don't know if that is true or not and if an expert says it, does it make it true?

I think I would trust an expert on it than someone who doesn't know much about it and isn't qualified to diagnose someone with it. I think they are more likely to misdiagnose than someone who knows a lot about it and has worked with it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2013, 3:51 pm

I think that the possibilities of being misdiagnosed with AS are equal to those of being misdiagnosed with another disorder.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 5:01 pm

The really isn't a pill for AS, but there are plenty of pills for other conditions.
Pill pushers, um, sales reps for pharmaceutical companies, um, I mean doctors go for the quick fix and misdiagnose because it's easier for them to just toss pills at a problem.

Diagnosed in 2005

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:06 pm

droppy wrote:
I think that the possibilities of being misdiagnosed with AS are equal to those of being misdiagnosed with another disorder.

I agree.