Has Stimming Ever Gotten You Into Trouble?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:04 pm

Because it has for me... I remember sitting in my sixth grade Science class, just messing around with my hands at my lab table.

My teacher then immediately assumed that I was putting makeup on. Lol, just what? I didn't even wear makeup at the time, (and I still don't). 8O

Eventually, he got so fed up with me, that he yelled at me in front of the entire class... There was also another girl who was getting yelled at, but that still didn't make me feel any better... I felt like crying for the rest of the period.

I'm pretty sure he felt bad afterwords once my aid told him I was on the spectrum, though. And even after that day, he began acting nicer towards me...

So, has anyone else had a similar experience to mine? :?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:16 pm

It's never gotten me in trouble but people have told me to "Stop it!"

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:17 pm

I've had people give me grief about my side-to-side swaying several times because it distracted them while they were trying to talk to me, but I can't recall a time it actually got me in trouble.

I do remember a lot of complaining when I was a kid because I would always lean chairs back and make them rock, even if they weren't rocking chairs - mothers have a fit when you do that in their expensive dining room furniture and teachers hate it because the metal caps on the feet of school chairs would dig gashes in linoleum floors.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:23 pm

Mainly teased

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

I have never gotten in trouble from stimming. No one ever complained at what I did except telling me to sit down when I would pace.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:57 pm

I didn't get into much trouble for stimming, but my back-and-forth rocking has annoyed my peers to the point that they would ask me to stop it.

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

Yes, I was constantly told to "Stop drawing, look up and pay attention". I would go into 'auto-sketch mode', which would get me to a relaxed enough state, to actually be able to absorb the material being presented. I would, of course, stop when asked, because, 1) I never wanted to get into trouble. 2) I hated attention being drawn to me. 3) my lack of knowledge as to why I was unconsciously sketching did not provide for the ability to explain or justify my behavior, which had been perceived as rudeness, total lack of interest or regard for my education. et al, yet I was an extremely well behaved, mild-mannered, consciences child/person, in general.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

I've never gotten into trouble, but I've annoyed people before with some louder stimming, like tapping a pencil on a desk.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

One low-functioning autistic, whom was in therapy with me and one of my autistic friends, was upset because he said the psychologist who was looking after us was talking too quickly and he started flapping his hands wildly and she got angry at him and said "Quiet hands!" and his hands immediately slammed onto the table and he started to cry. This was the administration for my elementary school. If you flap your hands, you need to sit on them or someone yells "Quiet hands!"

Slowly, me and my autistic peers started to repress our stims. Until middle school. I'm thankful for the administration not being jerks (as much).

At first, we started stimming subtly, but on occasions where one of us is in distress, stimming gets big.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2013, 7:58 pm

Willard wrote:
I've had people give me grief about my side-to-side swaying several times because it distracted them while they were trying to talk to me, but I can't recall a time it actually got me in trouble.

I do remember a lot of complaining when I was a kid because I would always lean chairs back and make them rock, even if they weren't rocking chairs - mothers have a fit when you do that in their expensive dining room furniture and teachers hate it because the metal caps on the feet of school chairs would dig gashes in linoleum floors.

I still do that, just now it's when no one's looking <..< >..>

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2013, 8:15 pm

I got into trouble a lot when I was young for repeating back what I heard. Also got into trouble for cracking my ankles and my leg jumping.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:50 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
One low-functioning autistic, whom was in therapy with me and one of my autistic friends, was upset because he said the psychologist who was looking after us was talking too quickly and he started flapping his hands wildly and she got angry at him and said "Quiet hands!" and his hands immediately slammed onto the table and he started to cry. This was the administration for my elementary school. If you flap your hands, you need to sit on them or someone yells "Quiet hands!"

Slowly, me and my autistic peers started to repress our stims. Until middle school. I'm thankful for the administration not being jerks (as much).

At first, we started stimming subtly, but on occasions where one of us is in distress, stimming gets big.

This last part sounds like a good and healthy way to stim, to usually stim subtly, but occassionally to stim big.  This sounds eminently sensible.  I hope teachers and just people in general can be open and accepting of this.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.  Have you even tried a squeeze ball?  And the part earlier where delaSHANE was talking about sketching as a method to help her get into a more relaxed frame of mind where she can then listen and understand better, have you ever tried something like this?

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 08 Dec 2013, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:55 pm

I don't understand how anyone can get in trouble for stimming that is just normal or something lot of people do and it's not even loud or disruptive. Is that what they mean by an impairment if it gets you into trouble because some people are really that closed minded and want you to be a zombie?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2013, 10:57 pm

My wife hates it. She didn't even like it when I put a stone in my pocket to give my hands something to do without people looking.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2013, 11:03 pm

Willard wrote:

I got in trouble for this multiple times in Elementary school. Though the teacher's explanation for this was because I might fall backwards.

I annoyed my boss the other day for playing with a candy wrapper due to the sound of the paper being annoying.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

enigmeow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2013, 8:35 am

Danimal wrote:
My wife hates it. She didn't even like it when I put a stone in my pocket to give my hands something to do without people looking.

That seems rather extreme. Is her issue that your hands are in your pocket?

The only time my stim's ever are a issue are when in a movie theater or on a couch watching a movie/tv with other people. The never-ending movement drives everybody around me crazy in those situations.

And, in a theater you cannot even start messing with your phone due to the light off the screen