My 15 year old son is not talking to anyone

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ragnar275
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2013, 11:49 am

I am new to this forum & hoping for some help. My son from first marriage is 15 years old & was been diagnosed with Aspergers around 8 years ago. I live in Texas & he lives in another state with his mother. Lately, his mother has told me that he is not talking to anyone except me - not to his teachers, classmates, friends or even his mother. I communicate with my son by cell phone (text & calls). What can I do to help him communicate with others?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Please understand my statements are challenging, but not hateful, spiteful or angry...

Why does he need to? It is very neurotypical to force communication. Chances are (and I cannot make this statement for CERTAIN, but I suspect) that he was quiet one day, and everyone started commenting on it... then he got uncomfortable and it feeds back on itself.

Simply put... if he doesn't have anything to say, he doesn't need to talk... and often, most NTs are not worth talking to in the minds of many Aspies... especially the young...

I am tooting my own horn here... but I write a blog series designed to facilitate NT/Aspie understanding... I think it might give some insite... The "care and feeding of your aspie" entries specifically http://wayoutonthecorner.blogspot.com

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2013, 12:24 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Please understand my statements are challenging, but not hateful, spiteful or angry...

Why does he need to? It is very neurotypical to force communication. Chances are (and I cannot make this statement for CERTAIN, but I suspect) that he was quiet one day, and everyone started commenting on it... then he got uncomfortable and it feeds back on itself.

Simply put... if he doesn't have anything to say, he doesn't need to talk... and often, most NTs are not worth talking to in the minds of many Aspies... especially the young...

I am tooting my own horn here... but I write a blog series designed to facilitate NT/Aspie understanding... I think it might give some insite... The "care and feeding of your aspie" entries specifically http://wayoutonthecorner.blogspot.com

this.

also, when i was around that age, i also pretty much became mute to everyone. try helping him find a hobby if he doesnt already have one. before i found how interested i was in music and drawing, i was nothing short of a zombie, just a shell with no personality walking around. although i still find myself going through months of not talking and then a couple months of being somewhat a normal guy (i just deleted my facebook a couple days ago for whatever reason) but yeah, id say help him find something hes interested in to get him to open up some. maybe he'll grow out of it, maybe not, but he obviously trusts you a lot if you're the only one he talks to

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 12:54 pm

Probably overwhelmed.

If school is doing it (most likely), then there's not much you can do. Perhaps find a way to have some overwhelming things avoided.

Rarely spoke in high school over here (to the point of being mute as the years went on). Leaving was the only fix, but I had no label then, so support was out.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 1:47 pm

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

My communication at that age was limited to short household exchanges with my parents, no conversation to speak of, just "yeah" and "no" and "okay, fine" - stuff like that. Most of my life outside of school I spent in my room, drawing, painting or reading with music on. Throughout most of school, I was effectively mute. Only for a brief period in 6th grade and the last 2 years of High School did I ever have actual friends. Coincidentally, it was about that time I took my first job, in the communications industry and started talking for money and I haven't shut up since.

Actually, that's not accurate - I can do standup for hours in a closed room by myself. I'm still primarily silent around live people. :silent:

Point being, it's not unusual for Aspergians to be untalkative. It's kind of a natural state for a lot of us.

One of the reasons I've never been too keen on yakking it up around other humans is that my brain doesn't work like theirs do - they rarely understand or care about what I'm trying to say, frequently misinterpret and seem to love to argue with me. Anything I say can and will be used against me at some later date if not today, so it's just better to remain silent. :roll:

ragnar275
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Wow - thanks so much to everyone who has posted - your comments are very comforting & insightful. I will certainly take your advice & just not worry so much.
Fyi, my son loves video games & I have taken his lead - purchased an xbox & play online with him whenever possible. His mother has told me that this has helped him - will see what other activities we can share that he likes.
Also, will provide updates on my Aspi on this thread. Can thank y'all enough for your kind words - will look at your blogs as well for further insight.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2013, 8:40 pm

ragnar275 wrote:
Wow - thanks so much to everyone who has posted - your comments are very comforting & insightful. I will certainly take your advice & just not worry so much.
Fyi, my son loves video games & I have taken his lead - purchased an xbox & play online with him whenever possible. His mother has told me that this has helped him - will see what other activities we can share that he likes.
Also, will provide updates on my Aspi on this thread. Can thank y'all enough for your kind words - will look at your blogs as well for further insight.

That's really cool that you are spending time with him online. Too many parents don't understand these days that it is possible to hang out online, especially when playing video games. this made me smile :D

I'm looking forward to more updates in the future.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

Tollorin wrote:

If you are not a Mental Health Professional, statements like this assume a level expertise that is not accurate... We are discussing an autistic spectrum individual, a condition that is known to have non-verbal episodes... Introducing another condition is unnecessary...

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:35 pm

ragnar275 wrote:

We do what we can... which is not much in many cases, but still we try

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm

I'm 40 and I still don't talk, if I can get away with it.

The only time I do talk is at work because my job requires me to and even then it's scripted.

There is nothing wrong with being quiet or mute. It doesn't mean he won't be happy in his life.

Stop worrying. :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:06 pm

At first glance I was thinking you were saying, "My son isn't communicating with anyone," and I went "uh-oh, that's a problem". But then I saw he was texting, so that's a lot better. It seems he's just given up on talking out loud--he can still communicate.

I second the idea about selective mutism; that can happen to many of us especially when we're stressed out.

Keep communication open with him, and don't push too hard--creating anxiety around communication will just make things worse.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 3:35 pm

I wanted to tell you that I wrote an entry of my series "Care and Feeding of Your Aspie" based on this thread...

it is HERE

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:44 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Chances are (and I cannot make this statement for CERTAIN, but I suspect) that he was quiet one day, and everyone started commenting on it... then he got uncomfortable and it feeds back on itself.

This happens to me. If someone criticizes, or comments on me being quiet, I'll want to talk even less. Sometimes I just don't feel up to having conversations.

Don't try and force conversation on him, (if he's anything like me) it'll most likely only push him farther from wanting to talk.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

Try sharing a room with him doing quiet (separate) activities. Just sit quietly by him, and see what happens.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:40 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Chances are (and I cannot make this statement for CERTAIN, but I suspect) that he was quiet one day, and everyone started commenting on it... then he got uncomfortable and it feeds back on itself.

This happens to me. If someone criticizes, or comments on me being quiet, I'll want to talk even less. Sometimes I just don't feel up to having conversations.

Don't try and force conversation on him, (if he's anything like me) it'll most likely only push him farther from wanting to talk.

Absolutely