Right 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Middle 35%  35%  [ 23 ]
Left 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 65

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:13 pm

I found the "Which brother has autism" thread interesting, so I decided to create my own.

Which of these 3 brothers do you think is autistic and why?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm

I would guess the right guy cause he is not grooming himself to a "clean cut" guy look and he is not wearing a watch. I say that cause the lack of "grooming for others" would make me think he is the most independent-minded or least caring of what others think of him. Not wearing a watch means he does not care for the fashion statement of a watch, and/or does things on his own time.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:27 pm

There is honestly no way to tell. Autism does not have any distinguishing physical characteristics whatsoever.

Diagnosed in 2005

Rigor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2013, 8:38 pm

left

Dave1985
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

This kind of thing is fun, but aren't we just reinforcing stereotypes by doing this? And what would these people think about the things people are saying about them?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 8:55 pm

Yeah, we did this sort of thing already and most of us got it wrong, too. As Aspies we would love to find some clue to correlate physiognomy to our autism, and then categorize, etc. That's what we do. But it seems that this line of investigation is a dead end.
Sorry to be a killjoy.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:29 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Yeah, we did this sort of thing already and most of us got it wrong, too. As Aspies we would love to find some clue to correlate physiognomy to our autism, and then categorize, etc. That's what we do. But it seems that this line of investigation is a dead end.
Sorry to be a killjoy.

I understand what you're saying. My reason for posting this was because of something that happened at work recently. Apparently, I am considered "weird" by a new coworker who I've barely interacted with.

I was just interested if anyone could pick out the "oddball" in a group of people (one of the people in that picture is me). I understand that a single picture is not the same as being around someone for coming to a conclusion about what kind of person they are, but I can't help but be curious.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:13 am

jetbuilder wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
Sorry to be a killjoy.

I understand what you're saying. My reason for posting this was because of something that happened at work recently. Apparently, I am considered "weird" by a new coworker who I've barely interacted with.

I was just interested if anyone could pick out the "oddball" in a group of people (one of the people in that picture is me). I understand that a single picture is not the same as being around someone for coming to a conclusion about what kind of person they are, but I can't help but be curious.

I've wondered this myself. I went to 3 different schools, and was considered an oddball at all three. Since I wasn't aware of ASD until the last year, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Now I suspect that my behavior/traits may have seemed a bit strange and were obvious enough that people picked up on them pretty easily. Looking back, I suspect those would include poor hygiene, social awkwardness, clumsiness and immaturity.

Oh, and I think the autistic one in the pic is on the right. One thing though...the one on left seems to be doing some sort of stimming with his hands, like twiddling his thumbs...doesn't like having his picture taken perhaps?

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 12:20 am

I guessed the one in the middle because he seems like he isn't sure what to do with his hands. I have that problem when I'm in photos...or anywhere really. I am always wondering where my hands should be and feeling awkward about it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:36 am

Dave1985 wrote:
This kind of thing is fun, but aren't we just reinforcing stereotypes by doing this? And what would these people think about the things people are saying about them?
I think of it as more like trying to pull a Sherlock Holmes--you know, figure out information about a person based on their appearance.

Like, if you saw me, you would probably be able to figure out I was autistic, or at least that I had sensory issues, even if you couldn't watch my body language or hear me speak. I'm female but don't wear makeup. If you checked the back of my shirt, you might be able to see that I've cut the tags out of my clothing, which is all loose, soft, cotton clothing. I've cut my hair very short, but there's no other indication that I'm trying to make a fashion statement. My shoes are always wide and sturdy; my nails are always cut short. Looking closely at my skin you might see faint scars, evidence of self-injury. I wear glasses, which means I am more likely to do a lot of close-up work (reading and computer use), and that I either can't afford or can't stand contacts. You would also see that my clothing is clean, but often has a bit of cat hair on it, meaning that I am a cat owner who either doesn't know or doesn't care that you are supposed to clean off cat hair before you go out in public. Looking very closely you would see a callous on my hand where a crochet hook is held. You might also notice small stains or tears in the right cuff of my pants, where at some point the cloth was caught on a bicycle chain. I am fat and unathletic but my shoes show the wear that comes from walking for transportation, and the right one is more worn than the left, suggesting an uneven gait.

All of that together puts me firmly at least in the range of eccentric, low-income, physically sensitive, introverted, physically awkward, and more connected to animals than people. I'd give Sherlock at least a three-quarters chance of coming up with autism.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 2:50 am

I don't understand the point of this thread at all.

But in the sprit of it, how about in the group below:

YaminoKittykate
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2013, 4:52 am

It is difdicult to tell by just a picture. You would normally need to see the person in person to tell and even then it is hard. I chose middle because i think back to me and my brothers. both of the are about the same size hight and i am alot shorter. So, to be even, i stand in the middle. Even then how could people be able to tell? My brothers could have wanted to stand like that. We are all about the same hygenic wise and none of us have a proper smile. We never know what to do with our hands and have our heads in weird positions. The main difference in pics with us is that i am trying to scrunch up to avoid being touched by them but trying to look like it does not matter if they touch me. Plus, people show their autism differently. I avoid contact and don't like to meet new people. I make noises in public and have meltdowns no matter where i am. And, both of my brothers have autism too. How do people know that your the only one. One of my brothers shpw his exactly like i do mine but is better about hygene if he is reminded. He is also better at talking to people but avoids it as much as possible. The other doesn't like the noise of crouds but will wait to have his meltdowns or can figure out how to avoid them. He is fine with being touched and can hold a conversation. He still doesn't understand most verbal and physical "cues" but he can talk. No eye contact for any of us and no change. Anyways. You can't tell autism, all forms of it, by a quick glance or a picture. it is almost impossible.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 7:38 am

There´s no way to tell. There is no "oddball" there.
I just thought: Gosh, that is my father in the middle :-D

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:20 pm

I guessed the one on the right, simply because he isn't wearing a watch or any other jewelry. It makes me think he might have some sensory issues.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

@eric76:
It's the robot in the first row.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 12:48 pm

Ok ok! Well, I guess the one of the left. He just looks to me to be uncomfortable and he isn't really smiling.