Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

obviously in a world of neurotypicals we have to learn things that come naturally to others but it doesn't mean we are disabled. i have a great focus in details, something my dad lacks as an artist, he always says how jealous he is of my artistic abilities because i can focus more than he can. my sister hates my mind blindness (she has BPD) and wishes she couldn't understand facial expressions. My childhood friend rachel is envious of the fact i can be content in complete solitude. I dont need to have just any job in the world. i could stick to one job and be completely happy, unlike most people who want so many extravagant jobs and still wont be pleased.

we have trouble in a Neurotypical world because we would function more in a world of our own. when i talk to my autistic friends, i dont need to look at their faces to understand a message and they dont need to look at mine, my childhood friend (my only neurotypical friend) tends to say one thing and mean a completely different thing, she is hard to read and quite chaotic. i function better in a world made for an autistic person better than a world made for Neurotypicals.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

Unfortunately we do live in a world made up of, and specifically designed for, neurotypical people. In so far as interaction is concerned, both social and professional, people on the high functioning end of the spectrum are disabled -or disadvantaged if you prefer- relative to neurotypicals in that respect.

The other issue is the entire spectrum of autism. There are real cognitive disabilities, particularly in relation to executive functioning, for almost all autistic peoples on all parts of the spectrum. Further towards the low functioning side, disability is very prevalent and debilitating.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:34 pm

my mind is so spacey.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm

MrStewart wrote:
The other issue is the entire spectrum of autism. There are real cognitive disabilities, particularly in relation to executive functioning, for almost all autistic peoples on all parts of the spectrum. Further towards the low functioning side, disability is very prevalent and debilitating.

that is a point, i think i cannot live alone in my adulthood because i am so easily overwhelmed, i become self destructive and my priorities are a little whack, i forgot about that making this post.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 7:14 pm

Disability isn't a simple easy concept, though, is it. Someone can be disabled from walking and using a cane, or a wheelchair, but employed and living independently, or they might have high functioning AS and some executive functioning problems and social issues that others accommodate. But I guess there kind of has to be some kind of impairment/disability otherwise, it isn't really ASD.

And there's a lot of conditions that can, but don't have to be disabling. Depending on the severity and on what the person wants and needs to be able to do.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 7:17 pm

There are autistics who are more severe and are unable to cope.

Some learn skills and then lose them by burnout, or just lose them because they have trouble with their abilities being consistent in the first place, over and over again.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm

People with Aspergers Syndrome are socially disabled. Not because there is anything wrong with them, but because they are different from the crowd.

AS people are cats in a dog's world. You can imagine how much more difficult it would be for a cat to fit into a group of dogs than for just another dog.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

Not to be overly rude or anything, but...speak for yourself. Some of us do fall into the "disabled" category.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 8:44 pm

DarkRain wrote:
Not to be overly rude or anything, but...speak for yourself. Some of us do fall into the "disabled" category.

Agreed.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm

DarkRain wrote:

i understand, it can be confusing so bare with me. i guess i was too vague, what i ment was socially disabled, and by disabled, i ment differently, two autistic people can have a better conversation than an autistic person and a neurotypical

i, however, cant even wash my own clothes yet and i dont brush my hair and clip my nails. i need to be supported to do so.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2014, 11:07 pm

I'm disabled.

You can be not disabled if you want, just, you know, try not to make it about everyone.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm

people are really misunderstanding what im trying to say. i dont know how to put it in different words at all.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:30 pm

i guess what im saying is, we have abilities that Neurotypicals lack and they have abilities we lack. we gained abaility in other ways and lost abilities in others. we are disabled in comparison to a neurotypical but we also have an advantage that they dont. i was just trying to create a positive outlook

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:31 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
people are really misunderstanding what im trying to say. i dont know how to put it in different words at all.

I think you are saying that autism is about being differently-abled, not necessarily disabled. And some of the things that seem like disabilities are actually just problems living in a world that is not made for autistic people.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:34 pm

starkid wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

I think you are saying that autism is about being differently-abled, not necessarily disabled. And some of the things that seem like disabilities are actually just problems living in a world that is not made for autistic people.

something like that, we have other problems but, its so hard to put into words, thanks for trying to understand though :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

You could give me a trillion dollars and a million slaves -- I'd still be disabled and unable to do most of the things normal people do.