what is the reason that we like walking on our toes?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 11:09 am

and does anyone else enjoy walking on the heels of his shoes? it's nice, but it doesnt beat toe-walking. what is the reason for this? hyperactivity?
can you imagine the footprints you'd leave in the sand on the beach? smaller but deeper, with the toes more pronounced.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 11:35 am

All I know is that walking on my toes is a habit I got into when I was in marching band in high school and in college. We had to march backwards on our toes.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 11:53 am

Great question. I never thought about this before, but I think it requires more balance, so being on the edge, between things and therefore represents the place between two different dimensions, so kind of not going either way. Eventually, from a psychological perspective, a person does have to go one way or the other, and that can be threatening, as the person may unconsciously fear that he lose himself, so toe walking would be a good compensatory mechanism, somewhat akin to stimming. It should be mentioned that when I was pregnant with my second child, a single mother at age 40, and a big step for me to dare to dare to have that child, I could not get enough of being physically on the edge of things, such as sleeping on the very edge of the bed with part of my body even hanging off. It was extremely comforting to me. Have never done it before or since and did not do it with my first pregnancy when I was married. Psychologically, though, in terms of thinking, I am very interested in edges, and am also attracted to bad boys and edgy situations in general, though not as much any more. I kind of miss it, actually.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

Efficiency?
Moving forward, it seems counterproductive to place the back of foot on the ground?
Waste of time really.
Ball/Toe is for forward action ("on the ball")?
Heel is for is balance when standing?

Actually I find I do it
1) people who heel walk make more noise against floors/stairs. I don't like more noise.
2) because sometimes putting heel down jars spine.

I don't think I'm really a heel walker by trade - my parents don't recall a predilection for it - but I do find myself shopping for shoes with lower heels (not easy to find) and when younger I always found my sister's walking extraordinarily loud - making me wonder how it was she didn't hurt her feet 'clomping' that way all the time.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm

I'm short so it's height, and I like dancing and danced a lot as a kid, which requires walking on toes.

I don't walk on my toes as much as I used to, but I also had messed up feet for awhile and my Achilles tendon (I think that's the one it's called) is quite short so I figured I should flex my feet more.
Better to go upstairs when on your toes, the stairs are short and might not fit your entire foot. It also uses different muscles.

Poor motivation

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:17 pm

I've never walked on them.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

Who's "we"?

My son is diagnosed with Asperger's and he has never toe-walked. I have met a few people with a diagnosis of Asperger's, adults and children, and none of them was a toe-walker.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

"We" are "toe-walkers", obviously :-p

Poor motivation

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

Without boring anyone with the explanation, have you ever watched an infant learning how to walk?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:55 pm

I did it between the ages of 12 and 15 to look taller.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

I've never toe walked. That seems highly uncomfortable. I know a NT girl that toe walks though and still does at age 24. Not sure why she does it. I always thought it was strange looking.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

I sometimes rock back and forth on my toes when standing in a que, but only because my normal rocking and swaying stims would cause me to bump into other people in such a crowded space. I've never "walked" on my toes, it sounds very uncomfortable.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

I find it painful to put weight on my heels (especially barefoot). I'm not sure if that's normal for autistics, or if I have some other weird physical problem, but I've been this way since early childhood. So for me, I walk on my toes for the simple reason to avoid pain.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

It gives me this sense of precision and balance. If I go up or down stairs I walk on my toes and also if I'm trying not to step on things. I exclusively walked on my toes when I first learned to walk. Now I only do it sometimes.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

It gives me this sense of precision and balance. If I go up or down stairs I walk on my toes and also if I'm trying not to step on things. I exclusively walked on my toes when I first learned to walk. Now I only do it sometimes.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2014, 3:13 pm