Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

I know IQ is not exact but I have an IQ of 160 as recorded by an educational psychologist.

But I live in supported housing with people who don't understand me. To be honest few people understand me clearly when I open my mouth as I come out with theories and calculations that I have done in my head on the bus home or similar.

I need an outlet for my theories and calculations without having to call my dad (he has a PhD in engineering) repeatedly to tell him. If I don't have any outlet, I feel like my brain will explode.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? What is your outlet?

A typical conversation at home:
P: look, the peas are dancing about in the saucepan
Me: those are the convection currents, which follow a certain pattern, it is due to entropy -
P: I have no idea what that means.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I know IQ is not exact but I have an IQ of 160 as recorded by an educational psychologist.

But I live in supported housing with people who don't understand me. To be honest few people understand me clearly when I open my mouth as I come out with theories and calculations that I have done in my head on the bus home or similar.

I need an outlet for my theories and calculations without having to call my dad (he has a PhD in engineering) repeatedly to tell him. If I don't have any outlet, I feel like my brain will explode.

Me: those are the convection currents, which follow a certain pattern, it is due to entropy -

Join Mensa.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

I can identify with not being understood.

However I don't have an IQ of 160. :oops: :lol:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

You might find contacts through one of these groups.
http://www.intelligencetest.com/links/IQ_Associations

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at that link. I've been thinking about Mensa, does anyone else have experience with Mensa?

Fogpatrol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2014, 3:30 pm

I scored 124 on that online IQ test, I feel dumb.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:34 pm

Apply it to your studies. Figure things out, create things, research things, write theses, join a lab or research group in your department, share with those people.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

The "OCD component" of my ASD fills me with a pervasive desire to uncover the order of things, so my brain is always thinking about what I know, how it relates to new information, and new order I have discovered.

I can understand that you want to relate to people, and share the new and interesting discoveries you have found. Perhaps you could setup a blog and link it to your profile, so it is a way of sharing what you discover, and then cite those discoveries in your posts when relevant.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

That doesn't seem like an IQ issue; that seems like a social issue. Whether they know what convection currents are or not (which is a matter of education, not IQ), most people will probably not be interested in listening to you talk much about them.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:49 pm

You could share your theories here on Wrong Planet, there is a lot of smart peoples on this site. I know that the site LessWrong also got a lot of smart peoples. http://lesswrong.com/lw/fqq/lesswrong_iq_survey/

SteelMaiden wrote:

How come the convection currents will follow a certain partern due to entropy? Shouldn't the entropy make them chaotics...

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

Enjoy the dancing peas and just answer the question. [use that intelligence to figure out how to explain it in an easily understandable style. ] THEN join Mesa.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Thanks, I'll have a look at that link. I've been thinking about Mensa, does anyone else have experience with Mensa?

Im in Mensa.

Its good.
I squeeked in with a mere 130 IQ.

Its a national group with local chapters. Get a local newsletter with special interest groups, and social events, and I get internet news from mensa about egg headed news about science discoveries and so forth. Resolved to get more active in it this year. Am also involved somewhat in the local aspie/autie support group.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm

sharkattack wrote:

Same here. My IQ is only 145. I people seldom understand me. I am not very science. I mostly study history and indoeuropean mythology and also psychology. Monologing is my biggest issue. It irritates folks but it brings me immense pleasure. I often feel neglected.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:22 pm

sharkattack wrote:

Same here. My IQ is only 145. I people seldom understand me. I am not very science. I mostly study history and indoeuropean mythology and also psychology. Monologing is my biggest issue. It irritates folks but it brings me immense pleasure. I often feel neglected.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

My IQ isn't much lower than yours, but if you start talking about convection currents or entropy with me, you lose me in about 5 seconds. We're all different in what we focus our interests on, and NTs and even other AS people can lose interest when the subject is not in one of their interests.

As others have said, it's a social issue, not intelligence. And also very likely lack of empathy. Most of us don't have intuitive social skills. We have to learn them, and suffer with the effects of not being understood until we learn, by applying intelligence and a lot of trial and error experience, how to handle social situations, and not all of us can learn that. I have some strong NT traits. How to behave socially isn't one of them. It took a long time, but it was kind of forced on me by what I chose for a career. You can't force anyone, regardless of whether they're fellow aspies or NTs, to have an interest in things that don't interest them, but are intensely interesting to you. For an outlet for this strong interest of yours, I would suggest using Google to find an appropriate topical website, join in, and share your theories and calculations there, among people of similar interests.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:35 pm

Fogpatrol wrote:
I scored 124 on that online IQ test, I feel dumb.

So did I. We are in the area typical for Phd.´s and MD´s.
Not too bad :wink: