Nvlders and aspies what kinda of problems do you have?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tiredrexus
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

I guess we're all different from each other... even if we nvlders all have similar problems and similar giftedness profiles. Describe the issues you have. I'll start with myself.

1. I've always had problems with maths.... sucked horribly at it. Especially the word problems. I couldn't for the life of me use the maths and math facts that i've learned to solve such problems... I just couldn't connect the words that i see infront of me to the maths that i've learned. It just doesn't click.. i can't see the relationship the math itself(the symbols and mathematical method) to what it has with how many times john went on and off the bus.

2. Visual details. While this isn't my greatest issue... but it's one of the prominent ones. I always seems to miss them or not process them or process them too late. It's especially annoying when the details are vital to solving or processing stuff. It's always that one annoying detail. That one f*****g detail or place that my brain hasn't processed that ruined stuff. I used to think I could train it away... but it never happened. I always take time to check all the details and get everything soaked in, especially if it's new material.

3. The processing speed. God I hate this part the most. It's probably what makes life annoying to deal with. I could live with all the other problems... if it wasn't for this annoying s**t thing in my head. What this does, is that it slows down everything and makes it hard for me to do things quickly without screwing up. If I try to do things faster... my brain just refuses. It takes me veritable hours to do something that could be finished in 1 hour. It literally triples or doubles the time it takes for me to do something. Such as repairing the door lock, or putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It's also the reason why I keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Things either go slowly or they never get done. It's like you're running on 64k modem while everyone else is using broadband internet. I mean you know you'll get there... you know you will... but it will take you almost forever to load.

4. Missing visual cues and not understanding sarcasm. Ok... to me this is the smallest problem. Missing visual cues.... most of this has to do with gesturing or people trying to get me to notice stuff. Like they'll point to stuff.. and I don't see it( well, atleast not right away, probably related to problem 2). Sometimes it's gestures... or fakeness I don't capture, which to me don't make any sense... and I really can't make out what it means or if they're being fake or not. Sarcasm.... it used to be a problem before(when I was younger)... I don't always capture sarcasm/irony.. but i've learned when it makes sense.

5. Social skills. I put it largely to not understanding people. My understanding of them is either pretty shallow, off the mark... or i simply don't understand them. So i never seem to appeal to people on any level. I just don't click with most people... my interactions usually end up with me/them losing interest or me just asking boring usual questions to keep the conversation alive. I don't know if this is just a common problem or a problem related to my NVLD or just the local culture. I don't know... i just don't seem to have that click. This is why i have relatively few friends. I rarely seem to be able to.... get relationships to an emotional depth and social depth. But maybe that doesn't have to do with NVLD.

I think by sharing our experiences we sorta get a deeper and better understanding of NVLD. So by all means... share your experiences with problems.

Tiredrexus
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

bump

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 12:25 am

Math

Consistency in hygiene

Social intricacies

Executive functioning

Sensories

Being mistaken for gay/ on drugs/ attentive

Anyway I read thread as "Evildoers" then "Neverlanders and aspies" - I suppose being a Neverlander fits as well