is being afraid of objects an autistic thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:05 pm

i heard about it, and sometimes when i see a bright red car, images of reckless drivers and accidents flash before my eyes. but it's not an uncontrollable fear. it's just mild anxiety.
anyone else is afraid of objects? i cant really relate to it all that much.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

I don't know if it's autistic, as much as associative.

I've had an irrational anxiety at the sight of those big rectangular swimming pool drain grates since I was a kid, because I'd seen a cartoon in which a villain releases a bunch of sharks from some underwater lair to attack the hero through a similar looking opening. I don't even remember the cartoon, though it sounds like something I'd expect to see on Jonny Quest.

However, your anxiety over red cars is not unfounded - statistically, drivers of red cars are more often involved in accidents and speeding than drivers of any other color vehicle. Insurance companies have known this for years.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 4:55 pm

I hate cars and the way people drive them and I'm lucky not to have visions of becoming road kill *every* time I see them ripping down the street no matter what their color.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:01 pm

I don't like cars or moving objects either, because my spatial perception is bad, and I have no way of judging how fast they're going, or if they're going to crash or hit me.

I'm also terrified of taxidermy, and run away panicking if I see it, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with autism, or if it's just a random phobia!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

It was one of the questions my mother had to answer in writing for autism-assessment, if as a child I was afraid of objects and i seems I was afraid of objects like the vacuum cleaner, I had every time a meltdown when it was running (I guess of the noise), I was afraid of certain lamps, cars, motorcycles and other things.
I do not have this fears anymore, though I dislike the noise or certain lights.
What gives me though visual overload are moving people.
I also have problems walking and the pattern of the surface is changing (like from the street entering a building or different sorts of floor pattern), my mind needs to adapt to it and up until then I feel very much "off balance" and cannot control walking that well (chance of bumping into things or people).

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

I have a certain amount of fear or anxiety or agitation over anything with and engine - or a motor like a vacuum cleaner or a drill. Colors like red, orange and yellow are used as warning colors so they can cause the same thing. Even in nature a lot of bugs that sting have those colors as a warning.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

Willard wrote:
I've had an irrational anxiety at the sight of those big rectangular swimming pool drain grates since I was a kid, because I'd seen a cartoon in which a villain releases a bunch of sharks from some underwater lair to attack the hero through a similar looking opening.

Same fear here. My Scout mom neighbor convinced my parents to sign me up to the Jr swim team. She and my father took me to the pool at the age of 6. When I refused to swim she took away the privilege of mowing her lawn. (A special interest at the time was lawn mowers) She still won't let me mow her lawn and I am 14 now. :x

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 1:25 pm

Telephone poles creep me out.

No clue why.

I don't think it's an autistic thing so much as an "XFilesGeek is wonked in the head," thing.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:54 pm

RichardJ wrote:
Willard wrote:
I've had an irrational anxiety at the sight of those big rectangular swimming pool drain grates since I was a kid, because I'd seen a cartoon in which a villain releases a bunch of sharks from some underwater lair to attack the hero through a similar looking opening.

Same fear here. My Scout mom neighbor convinced my parents to sign me up to the Jr swim team. She and my father took me to the pool at the age of 6. When I refused to swim she took away the privilege of mowing her lawn. (A special interest at the time was lawn mowers) She still won't let me mow her lawn and I am 14 now. :x

I was afraid of water during childhood, and in class we had to go swimming but I had meltdowns so finally I had not to do the exercises in the pool that the other children had to do but could stay outside of the pool.
Each child in class got badges of swimming degrees which are mandatory for that age, but I never got any.
I learned swimming much later and enjoy it, when the pool is empty.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

I hate balloons and drink cans. When I open them I have a cringe face as I don't want them to explode.