Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 8:25 pm

Like the other user I may also be getting re evaluated soon and actually from someone other than the school other than the state and even though I'm not too worried about it this evaluation might fall greatly or my family's opinion. I keep thinking maybe if she or he or whatever says I'm Autistic they will finally except it. But if they don't it will be the final blow that makes them never believe me. I'm afraid they won't understand me or be deluded by what my family says. Or some other therapists of had to deal with. Have a very hard time especially expressing and explaining my feelings or even recognizing them in myself or other people. Or what if they do get the diagnosis and I feel he thinks I was acting but if I don't understand some of the questions or know how to answer them. What if I am diagnosed with Asperger's because I can talk.

The promise I don't know what to do or act in the evaluation should I tell the person that I have trouble speaking things and expressing things and explaining them? What if I am the getting diagnosed with something else or nothing at all? what if they decide that I only that I "want to be Autistic"like my family says.

I heard one comment about the label who to them label doesn't matter

In a way I kind of agree with you but it another way it's like saying your black when you're white.Or like saying your hair is black but it's clearly blonde.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 4:29 am

jenisautistic wrote:
should I tell the person that I have trouble speaking things and expressing things and explaining them?

Yes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 5:19 am

jenisautistic wrote:
Like the other user I may also be getting re evaluated soon and actually from someone other than the school other than the state and even though I'm not too worried about it this evaluation might fall greatly or my family's opinion. I keep thinking maybe if she or he or whatever says I'm Autistic they will finally except it. But if they don't it will be the final blow that makes them never believe me. I'm afraid they won't understand me or be deluded by what my family says. Or some other therapists of had to deal with. Have a very hard time especially expressing and explaining my feelings or even recognizing them in myself or other people. Or what if they do get the diagnosis and I feel he thinks I was acting but if I don't understand some of the questions or know how to answer them. What if I am diagnosed with Asperger's because I can talk.

The promise I don't know what to do or act in the evaluation should I tell the person that I have trouble speaking things and expressing things and explaining them? What if I am the getting diagnosed with something else or nothing at all? what if they decide that I only that I "want to be Autistic"like my family says.

I am going through the same situation, I am going to be evaluated in a couple of months and I am feeling very anxious! Specially about what my parentes are going to think. When I get nervous/anxious my symptoms get worse, and I am certainly going to be nervous during the evaluation, so what if my parentes think I am exaggerating the symptoms or faking it to get a diagnosis??

Quote:
I heard one comment about the label who to them label doesn't matter

In a way I kind of agree with you but it another way it's like saying your black when you're white.Or like saying your hair is black but it's clearly blonde.

agreed. labels are importante, not for other people but for your own identity and how you see yourself and presente yourself to the world.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 8:37 am

Jen, not sure what to say, but I wish you the best.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 9:32 am

jen,
if were diagnosed classic autism in the past,they woudnt change it to aspergers because if had met classic autism criteria that woud disqualify from meeting aspergers criteria, ie; significant language and speech delay.
if were diagnosed PDDNOS its possible to be changed to either aspergers or classic autism,and some of us have had multiple ASD diagnoses,its all just a bunch of labels and doesnt really matter especialy in any country that uses the DSM manual.

a lot of people with aspergers have mutism its very common, as being verbal is an incredibly tiring process which will shut down when brain needs that power for more taxing things.

because are living in america,its the DSM they use which means its all under ASD and there are no specific forms of autism there anymore,so that means shoud be able to get better understood when older...hopefuly.

a dublin,ireland based cousin of mine has just been diagnosed with autism under the DSM, finaly at age twenty two,we have always got on so am not surprised to be honest,she has been special school educated her entire life and was diagnosed with mild intelectual disability,her brother has high functioning classic autism but he doesnt act any different to a mildish aspie,hes learnt to overcome a lot with meds and coping skills.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:34 am

jenisautistic wrote:
I'm afraid they won't understand me or be deluded by what my family says. Or some other therapists of had to deal with. Have a very hard time especially expressing and explaining my feelings or even recognizing them in myself or other people. Or what if they do get the diagnosis and I feel he thinks I was acting but if I don't understand some of the questions or know how to answer them. What if I am diagnosed with Asperger's because I can talk.

I had a lot of anxiety going into my evaluation as well. Prior to the evaluation, I had spent a lot of time investigating a bunch of stuff that possibly could explain what was going on inside my head (including Aspergers, Social Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety, Avoidant Personality, Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, Schizoid, etc.). I was hoping the diagnosis could provide some sort of “closure” (so I could move on). And, this desire for “closure” increased my anxiety.

I dealt with this by journaling. As this allowed me to organize my thoughts and memories. This made me a lot more comfortable during the evaluation meetings. With that being said, I was still quite nervous. And the Psychologist noted this several times in the Diagnostic Report.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

I hope you get the answer and closure you want. I got my closure recently and feel a bit better for it.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 7:52 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
jen,
if were diagnosed classic autism in the past,they woudnt change it to aspergers because if had met classic autism criteria that woud disqualify from meeting aspergers criteria, ie; significant language and speech delay.
if were diagnosed PDDNOS its possible to be changed to either aspergers or classic autism,and some of us have had multiple ASD diagnoses,its all just a bunch of labels and doesnt really matter especialy in any country that uses the DSM manual.

a lot of people with aspergers have mutism its very common, as being verbal is an incredibly tiring process which will shut down when brain needs that power for more taxing things.

because are living in america,its the DSM they use which means its all under ASD and there are no specific forms of autism there anymore,so that means shoud be able to get better understood when older...hopefuly.

a dublin,ireland based cousin of mine has just been diagnosed with autism under the DSM, finaly at age twenty two,we have always got on so am not surprised to be honest,she has been special school educated her entire life and was diagnosed with mild intelectual disability,her brother has high functioning classic autism but he doesnt act any different to a mildish aspie,hes learnt to overcome a lot with meds and coping skills.

Well when I was young I had no real diagnosises other then seizures. They found out I was severly physically delayed and mildly congtively delayed which was undermined They just threw me right into special ed and therapy my family tends to be very ingnornt stubbern and in denial plus I was an onley child that was taken away from being a word of the state by my grand parents from a bad home envirement when I was 1 so I guess they thought that's why this was happening . I never saw a doctor other then my neurologist and peditritrion untill 3rd or 4th grade when a saw a pycytrist due what they saw as bad behivour and refusal to do work. He diagnosed me with adjustment disorder and had therapy. I was written immature voice, interests attachment to objects.

Well how I got to autism is a long story but bacily people were constantly trying to pop my bubble so to speak. To shove me out my world .

On top that I had issues with wondering off and un aware of safety and having what they would call tantrums and ecoallia.

I might explain more but also look here

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5974487#5974487

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 8:43 am

It's not a job interview, or college admissions interview.

You're not there to impress anyone.

Just be yourself, and the therapist will figure it all out for you.

And it sounds like you're worried about contradictory things anyway- being judged as too functioning, and as not functioning enough at the same time.

If you're not articulate enough that in itsself will clue them in into how to assess you.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
It's not a job interview, or college admissions interview.

You're not there to impress anyone.

Just be yourself, and the therapist will figure it all out for you.

And it sounds like you're worried about contradictory things anyway- being judged as too functioning, and as not functioning enough at the same time.

If you're not articulate enough that in itsself will clue them in into how to assess you.

I'm also worried my family dinial will influence the evauater.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

Well if it's any comfort at all, I was so anxious on my evaluation a couple of years ago that it brought out literally all of my traits and I had a minor meltdown in the office. I was subsequently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (which I completely believe I have/had), ADHD (I've had this since I was 6), and Asperger's syndrome.

If they do learning tests on you, your performance differences usually diagnose autism, they did for me, I had a huge difference between verbal IQ and the rest, as in, verbal IQ was around 130 and performance/working memory 95. There are some tests you take at a clinical psychiatrist's office that are especially good at detecting learning disabilities, like the Wisconsin Card sorting test and the trail-making test.

Is this the kind of evaluation you're receiving? IF so just take it like a test, try to do well on it, the best you can, because if you're autistic, not saying for certain, but there is a chance you excel at very narrow things and are kinda bad at most other stuff. So this will show up and has nothing to do with the opinions of the staff.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

kirayng wrote:
Well if it's any comfort at all, I was so anxious on my evaluation a couple of years ago that it brought out literally all of my traits and I had a minor meltdown in the office. I was subsequently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (which I completely believe I have/had), ADHD (I've had this since I was 6), and Asperger's syndrome.

If they do learning tests on you, your performance differences usually diagnose autism, they did for me, I had a huge difference between verbal IQ and the rest, as in, verbal IQ was around 130 and performance/working memory 95. There are some tests you take at a clinical psychiatrist's office that are especially good at detecting learning disabilities, like the Wisconsin Card sorting test and the trail-making test.

Is this the kind of evaluation you're receiving? IF so just take it like a test, try to do well on it, the best you can, because if you're autistic, not saying for certain, but there is a chance you excel at very narrow things and are kinda bad at most other stuff. So this will show up and has nothing to do with the opinions of the staff.

Idk it might be the one with the parent interwiew

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm

AH interviewing your parents. Mhmm, well one thing for sure is that they probably can't pass their BS off on professionals as well as they think they can? I mean, it's going to be a red flag if they are openly in denial-- Denial is a defense mechanism, the professionals would be trained to see that and would consider it a negative against your parents, not against you.

My parents deny my autism as well, they even went so far as to pass my neuropsychological evaluation off to their friend the forensic psychologist. Over the past couple of years I just keep doing things and saying things like I always did but now I go 'well since I'm autistic, this is WHY I do blah blah blah' so it forces them in a way (not a good way) to have that dialog with me. Of course I'm obsessed with autism and learning everything I can about it (along with my own pet theories as to why, etc. ) so I try to resist talking about it to my parents as I know it's a special interest rather than what they want to talk about.

I've had several upsetting visits where I've overloaded and yelled at my Mom or Dad, so I'm working very hard at getting them to understand me, though I know I'm tiring I just have to understand, need to know, etc. to the point of $##$%@..

If I may say so, sometimes people just can't accept reality, they don't want to, for some reason. I feel like this is the way it is with my parents. They adopted me, I was always troubled, they agree with all the stuff I point out that's autistic, they want to help....

but they just can't accept that their daughter is autistic. And that's on them. Not on me. So think about that too, I know it's hard tho, really I do. I struggle with this every day, I so wish I could be understood without being thought of as "less than".

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Idk it might be the one with the parent interwiew

This might really end up helping you. If they see your grandma and mom are in so much denial, they may realize they have to do something to help them understand. When I was a kid we didn't have programs for kids with Autism, I'd never even heard of it. I have no experience with it obviously, but I find it really hard to believe that anyone who had half a brain would have let your grandma deny you those helpful services for so long. Maybe these people will be more on the ball. Also, you can discuss it with them.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

kirayng wrote:
AH interviewing your parents. Mhmm, well one thing for sure is that they probably can't pass their BS off on professionals as well as they think they can? I mean, it's going to be a red flag if they are openly in denial-- Denial is a defense mechanism, the professionals would be trained to see that and would consider it a negative against your parents, not against you.

My parents deny my autism as well, they even went so far as to pass my neuropsychological evaluation off to their friend the forensic psychologist. Over the past couple of years I just keep doing things and saying things like I always did but now I go 'well since I'm autistic, this is WHY I do blah blah blah' so it forces them in a way (not a good way) to have that dialog with me. Of course I'm obsessed with autism and learning everything I can about it (along with my own pet theories as to why, etc. ) so I try to resist talking about it to my parents as I know it's a special interest rather than what they want to talk about.

I've had several upsetting visits where I've overloaded and yelled at my Mom or Dad, so I'm working very hard at getting them to understand me, though I know I'm tiring I just have to understand, need to know, etc. to the point of $##$%@..

If I may say so, sometimes people just can't accept reality, they don't want to, for some reason. I feel like this is the way it is with my parents. They adopted me, I was always troubled, they agree with all the stuff I point out that's autistic, they want to help....

but they just can't accept that their daughter is autistic. And that's on them. Not on me. So think about that too, I know it's hard tho, really I do. I struggle with this every day, I so wish I could be understood without being thought of as "less than".

Have they ever told you you want to be autisic or that your just misbehaving? Or even mentally ill.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

You should print out some of your more memorable posts from here and bring them with you, just in case they can't get the full picture from talking to you. You might know which ones I mean.