Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 8:49 pm

How do loud notices effect you? They hurt my ears and Makes it so hard to concentrate on work I now have new noice canceling headphones that might help from howerd light. :?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
I now have new noice canceling headphones that might help from howerd light. :?

Tell us if they work well. I just looked up Howard Light. I may try to get a pair someday.

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm

Loud noises startle me, and even continuous noises bother me, especially those found on public transportation. I have a set of Bose Noise Cancelling Quietcomfort headphones that I carry everywhere with me when I leave my home.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

You might wanna look into seeing if high pitch/frequency sounds bother you as well. like sounds in the 15K - 20K range. I don't know about you but those Bose noise canceling headphones are just junk to me. There expensive and give off an annoying high pitch sound that gives me a headache.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2014, 9:53 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8[/youtube]

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm

They make me irritable, stressed, and sometimes, I can feel them through my whole body in a weird way. My counselor suggested noise cancelling headphones, but I don't know when I would wear them. Would I just wear them all day every day? I don't think I'd want to, and I don't know what specific times random loud noises will happen.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

Yes - loud noises bother me. I have earplugs I wear for when I'm in noisy places. Went to Disney last years and wore my earplugs most of the time there.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

Loud noises bother me and I have been known to put my fingers in my ears IN PUBLIC because a noise is particularly bothersome such as a loud machine running or something.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Loud noises definitely bother me; sometimes during a bad thunderstorm, I would often wear earplugs or put my fingers in my ears due to how loud the thunder is at times. I also recently started wearing earplugs when I go to see fireworks because of the loud noise.

FelisIndagatricis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2014, 2:44 pm

I take foam earplugs with me wherever I go. They came with a plastic case, so they're available in my purse whenever I need them. Loud, sharp noises are the worst.

Several years ago, my husband and I got to do an "executive" level general medical exam. When they tested my hearing, the nurse came around the corner with her eyes opened widely, and she said apprehensively, "You have remarkably good hearing."

Skyhunter
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2014, 3:05 pm

i haven't been officially diagnosed with an autism spectrum thing yet, but my sensitivity towards noise is one of the main reasons i think i might be on the spectrum. i've been sensitive about noises for as long as i could remember - i would have panic attacks in grade school during fire drills because they would startle me and the alarms - combined with talking and yelling kids that are excited to go outside - are just so loud and overwhelming. now i'm an adult and i carry earplugs in my purse wherever i go these days. they really help when i have a panic attack due to too much sensory/noise input. i have panic disorder, but i'm wondering if it's connected with an autism thing. i'm afraid of a lot of specific noises too but i won't list them since it's a long and weird list.

noises in general are extremely overwhelming and a lot of times i wish i was deaf just because hearing anything hurts my head and freaks me out. i don't necessarily have good hearing - my hearing is actually pretty poor because i was an idiot when i was younger and played music with my earbuds way too loudly, but just any audio input is annoying. i have misophonia, too. i hate 'mouth noises' like chewing or smacking or mouth breathing or even gentle humming/singing and they make me extremely angry. i used to beat my brother up when we were kids when he'd make a certain smacking noise with his mouth when he slept and he'd get upset because it was obviously something he couldn't control. i don't sit at the dinner table because the sound of people eating or talking while they eat is just overwhelming, and it's frustrating because i really want to sit with my family during mealtimes.

sorry for the tl;dr! i'm new to the site.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 3:08 pm

Skyhunter wrote:
sorry for the tl;dr! i'm new to the site.

Welcome to the forums. :P

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 3:26 pm

The sound type is often freezing me or anxiety-producing.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2014, 3:46 pm

Loud noises have always bothered me. My parents were careful not to buy toys for me that made noise, and I couldn't watch movies at the movie theater without plugging my ears until i was around 13.

Even today, it physically hurts to listen to things like my sister putting up dishes.

I'd like to get some noise-cancelling earbuds or something, but they're all super expensive.