Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2014, 2:21 pm

I hate being gullible. I've been tormented my entire life by having this impulse (not sure if that's the right word) to believe what people are saying.

The other day at work, one of the guys had a shake cup filled with an off-white drink. I told him that it looks just like breast milk. I didn't think it was when I said it, but just made the observation. His reply though was, "it is." Like a fool, I said, "wow, really? Why are you drinking breast milk?" Needless to say, the rest of the shift, people kept coming up to me saying outlandish things, and I my impulse was to believe them. It's been like this forever, and it gets to the point that almost don't want to believe anyone. It's safer that way, but I feel that doing so would further isolate me from others so I've resisted that temptation.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm

I used to be very gullible, and I still am gullible, but I'm more overly-skeptical now, and neither are that good.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2014, 2:29 pm

I decided to assume that people are telling lies by default. Probably that's just as bad..

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

Gullible and naive both - but have gotten much better at not being that way over the years.

People still manage to pull my chain though :?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm

More so than I have ever really wanted to admit. I just tend to take people seriously and take them at their word no matter what. Even if I can feel deep down that something is off. It's like something just makes me automatically believe what people say.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

Unfortunately I still am. How many times do I keep hearing "I am just messing with you"? I can also get confused easily too when someone says something bull and I wonder what do they mean not even realizing they are just joking or whatever. I also believe everything (not literally) I hear.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
I decided to assume that people are telling lies by default. Probably that's just as bad..

Been there, done that. Yes it is bad. But on the other hand so is being gullible. When does one move from too gullible to too paranoid ?. It's so complicated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 3:38 pm

I have a default to believe people too. It means people can easily take advantage of me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

I'm pretty gullible, too--but I'm also watchful.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 6:03 pm

used to be. think i have a good balance of trust and caution now.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2014, 11:58 pm

Quite the opposite! I see hidden motives and intentions in the actions of others, leading to trust issues with them.

Case in point; my brother just bought a Chrysler P.T. Cruiser car for $3,500.

My initial reaction? "so I wonder what needs to be fixed and how the engine is, because that car costs $7,000 - $8,000 in that condition".

I always read the fine-print of contracts and try not to get 'sold' or 'lured into' things because I know how human greed knows no limits and I refuse to condone it through my own ignorance.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:04 am

I'm super gullible and my friends have a bit of fun with that at my expense.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:09 am

perpetual_padawan wrote:
I hate being gullible. I've been tormented my entire life by having this impulse (not sure if that's the right word) to believe what people are saying.

The other day at work, one of the guys had a shake cup filled with an off-white drink. I told him that it looks just like breast milk. I didn't think it was when I said it, but just made the observation. His reply though was, "it is." Like a fool, I said, "wow, really? Why are you drinking breast milk?" Needless to say, the rest of the shift, people kept coming up to me saying outlandish things, and I my impulse was to believe them. It's been like this forever, and it gets to the point that almost don't want to believe anyone. It's safer that way, but I feel that doing so would further isolate me from others so I've resisted that temptation.

You've just reminded me, your WrongPlanet membership fee is overdue, can you forward it to me sometime during the next few days please. It works out at $1 per post you've made. :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:11 am

He might believe you!

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2014, 10:58 am

I've been the guy sent on the joke errands all my life. The dough patch, 50 yards of flight line, relative bearing grease, and so on.

Last edited by FallingDownMan on 06 Jun 2014, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:18 am

FallingDownMan wrote:
I've been the guy sent on the joke errands all my life. The doe patch, 50 yards of flight line, relative bearing grease, and so on.

Can you pop down to the trade counter please and ask them for a "long weight". :wink: