Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 2:28 am

This post from goldfish:

goldfish21 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=kp[/youtube]

inspired me to start a thread about positive things. It could be something, or someone, that amazed you (in a good way), but it doesn't have to be something extraordinary, it can be small things, ordinary people who were nice to you, something that inspired you, something that gave you hope, something that gave you a moment of happiness, something that touched you, etc.

Myself I really like stories about people who are different, whether autistic, or have a brain that is different than the average person, and who are gifted, so I will start with Daniel Tammet. He is an autistic man who is very good at mathematics and can also master new languages very quickly. I always wanted to learn other languages but I am always too lazy lol I think he is very lucky because it is so easy for him. I think the guy is amazing.

Here is a video about him: http://www.wimp.com/manrecites/

And here is another video about him, on youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vs6R5YZQ3c[/youtube]

P.S. #1: for the ones who don't know, Kim Peek, the man Rain Man was based on, died in 2009.

P.S. #2: one of my favorite shows on tv was Touch, with Donald Sutherland, David Mazouz, and other good actors. Unfortunately its been canceled, but I liked the show, especially the first year, there was many great moments eventho of course it was not real.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2014, 2:33 pm

I think Susan Boyle is pretty amazing.

She walked out onto the stage on Britain's Got Talent in front of millions of people. They all laughed at her because of her because of her frumpy appearance and odd conversational style. No one could believe it when she started singing, they couldn't believe that someone so strange could sound so beautiful ! !!

At the end of her audition, she was so much in her own world she just walked off the stage without waiting to hear the judges reaction.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECmXi8dv9s[/youtube]

Before becoming famous she lived a very ordinary unpretentious life. She had a talent and something she loved doing and she pursued it.

She was recently diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:34 pm

Oh yes I remember this! It was a great moment, her mother would have been so proud of her. And she's had a pretty nice career since :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:36 pm

And she took care of her mother before she passed away, even after she was famous.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
And she took care of her mother before she passed away, even after she was famous.

I don't mean to be a pain ... but I'm pretty sure her mother died before she was famous.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2014, 7:27 pm

Lots of magic in just in the last couple weeks-

I visited a friend who volunteers at a wonderful restored farmstead and we got walk around the old house, gardens, and barns right before dark with no one else around-so ethereal!

I was on my way to a big hiking club event in a small town. Right before it started, my prescription sunglasses lens fell out and I was in a total panic. The only possible place in a small town to stop was Walmart. Yes, they did have an optical center, no one else was in there, the guy working there fixed the glasses right away for free (and turned out to be a member of the hiking club and we had a great conversation.)

A few days later, in my little town, I took some broken hand tools to the hardware store and the owner helped me pick out the right nuts and bolts-a job that would have taken me hours. It cost 32 cents.

Then a few days later, I was hot and dirty from a long hike and stopped at the store for an ice cream bar. The young man behind me told the clerk he wanted to pay for it. I said no, that was okay, and he said no, he just wanted to buy something for someone else.

Four of my neighbors volunteered to help me move an appliance that we had to take down some steps.

An old friend gave me a beautiful new t-shirt because I couldn't afford to buy one with our club logo.

Not your ordinary few weeks!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:33 pm

I was in Amsterdam two years ago on Whitsunday, just walking along a canal when suddenly I started hearing all these bells ringing. I stopped to listen, and they kept ringing for about 10 minutes, or maybe longer IDK. I started to feel more and more moved, and eventually I stood leaning against the railing with tears streaming down my face, swept away by the amazing sounds and sensations.

The church across the canal was performing what's called a peal, where they ring their entire carillon one bell at a time, over and over again until they have rung in every possible order. In math, we call that a permutation of the set of bells. Math and bells, it just doesn't get much better than that in my book.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 30 May 2014, 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:36 pm

Wow LongLeaf, that was a really nice week! And a lot of good people. :)

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:37 pm

It sounds pretty cool jrjones, I would love to hear that!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:33 pm

Susan Boyle's mother died in 2007, not long before Susan became famous.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Susan Boyle's mother died in 2007, not long before Susan became famous.

Yes that's what I thought, a little bit before she became famous. I'm sorry she didn't get to see her at Britain's got talent, she would have been so proud of her :)

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2014, 9:40 pm

I had to go to the store today, but when I finally got to it, and checked the weather (it had been sunny all day), the weather forecast said it was going to start raining soon thereafter. I decided to go anyway. As soon as I got out it started raining.

Doesn't sound very nice, but the thing is, it didn't rain very much. Just enough to make the grass and trees and bushes a little wet and also give that amazing summer rain smell in the air.

I was like I could smell every plant around me, because the rainwater intensified their aromas! I'm usually a very composed person, but I find myself bursting out with laughter several times during that 15 minute walk.

Also lately I've become really fascinated by flowers. If I'm walking somewhere I stop to look at the flowers, count their petals, examine how they grow, sometimes smell them. Sometimes I just sit down and look at them for a long time. I think they are all really amazing, and everytime I see a flower that I haven't noticed before I feel like I've learned something important, even if I don't know what or why.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 12:03 am

I really like the smell after the rain ... except a few times when for some reason it smelled like fish lol (could be because I live not far from the coast, but still its at least 50 miles away, or maybe more I'm not sure). And to see the new flowers in the spring too. And I'm glad that it turned out to be a good day for you!