I would like some opinions and insight - much appreciated

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2014, 3:25 pm

As an illustration student I am doing a personal project to enhance my portfolio. I am doing a small guide to aspergers. While I am drawing from my own experiences, I also want to get a general consensus as to the common experiences from other people with aspergers and other conditions that exist alongside aspergers. Also coping mechanisms- I know routine is an important one. I for example do rely on the consistency and no change. I do thrive with a strict scheduled routine but trying to put that in place myself causes more anxiety so I rely on the structure of school/college.
I am also interested in the most frequent feelings about life and the world, people, own mind. From my perspective- to give an exampe- is fear,confusion,frustration,feeling lost, struggle. I know not everyone experiences that, so I am interested in other perspectives. Just a general insight- nothing too personal.
Thank you

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2014, 3:45 pm

Maia - I frequently feel as if the 'real' world is contained on the other side of an invisible barrier and I am like a moth trying to get to the light through a glass window pane. The continuous effort is exhausting, and it has taken me a lifetime to realise that the struggle is not worthwhile - it just gives me more and more bruises.

Good luck with your project!

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2014, 5:06 pm

do you want responses only from people with aspergers or diagnosed with Autism and PDD-Nos as well?

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:29 pm

Here is a blog that you might want to check out. It is called "experience our senses" and there are a couple posts on it that describe what it is like to have sensory processing difficulties. The posts that I'm mentioning are written from the perspective of a person with autism. There's also stuff about Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) which is comorbid in the majority of autistics.

Here's the link: http://experienceoursenses.wordpress.com/

There are also some brief mentions of coping methods and emotions associated with it. I'm not sure if this is a little bit more specific than you are looking for, but I still think it might be worth a look.

maia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2014, 3:48 am

Hi Alyosha, It is a broad guide so I welcome replies from people with autism and PDD-NOS. I am just writing a little more on Aspergers because I am writing from my own experiences which is Aspergers.
I had a look at that blog. They describe very well what it is like- definitely useful to give clarity.