Repeating the same song over and over again?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm

Sometimes I like to listen to the same song over and over again. Currently I am listening to a song by Deadmau5 - Brazil 2nd Edit. I've been listening to it on and off all day yesterday, and today. I've had it on repeat right now for 3 hours.

I find that repeating a song that inspires me gives me huge bursts of inspiration and determination, the longer I listen to it the more inspired I continue to be.

But, the problem is I am always conscious of whether or not other people notice I am listen to the same song over and over again. Which causes me to feel a bit worried, or nervous, for doing it. So I tend to feel forced to switch tracks.

Am I just odd, or does anyone else think like that?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:09 pm

I got hooked on a Blondie song called "Slow Motion" in my last year at University, and played it pretty loudly about 20 times a day over a three or four month period.

I remember being asked to turn the sound down on several occasions, but the expression on the faces of those who asked me suggested they thought my obsessiveness was pretty weird!

In the early seventies, there was a series called Colditz in the UK, about the notorious WW2 German POW camp. In one of the episodes, an inmate started playing the same piece of music over and over, in order to feign insanity and get himself repatriated. When his scheme eventually succeeded and he was back in Britain, he was immediately confined to a psychiatric hospital, as he had driven himself genuinely mad!

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2014, 5:15 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I got hooked on a Blondie song called "Slow Motion" in my last year at University, and played it pretty loudly about 20 times a day over a three or four month period.

I remember being asked to turn the sound down on several occasions, but the expression on the faces of those who asked me suggested they thought my obsessiveness was pretty weird!

In the early seventies, there was a series called Colditz in the UK, about the notorious WW2 German POW camp. In one of the episodes, an inmate started playing the same piece of music over and over, in order to feign insanity and get himself repatriated. When his scheme eventually succeeded and he was back in Britain, he was immediately confined to a psychiatric hospital, as he had driven himself genuinely mad!

That last paragraph worries me, lol.

Talking of Blondie - or of that era - I still listen to Phil Collins - Easy Lover every now and then, and when I do that gets repeated over and over.

If it wasn't for the fact I feel conscious of others maybe noticing I am playing the same song over and over, I think I would honestly play the same song on repeat for weeks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:32 pm

Well....it's a heck of a lot better than being self-destructive!

There was a time when I obsessively listened to "Israelites" by Desmond Dekker and the Aces."

Also: "Pata Pata" by Miriam Makeba

"Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks

And many others I can't think of off hand.

"You Really Got Me" by the Kinks literally saved my job when I was 19; otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to get up to go to work.

Right now, I have "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones in my head.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:34 pm

I can listen to or sing or hum the same song over and over for hours or days at a time. A couple of my all time favorites to hum are Sleepers Awake (J. S. Bach) and some of the themes from the soundtrack of the Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars) particularly Darth Vader's theme.

Wreck It Ralph

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm

I have listened to Stars Of The Lid's "Artificial Pine Arch Song" several times a day, almost every day for over the past 3 years.

Something about harmonising really sooths me. When I was very young, I discovered harmonising chords on our home organ. I would listen to it for hours. I knew it was weird but I didn't care. Now, I realise it was a form of stimming.

I do listen to other things (brown noise, cosmic noise, ambient noise from Discovery One, alien music, etc.)

I also love all genres from classical right through to [you name it].

Goa was big in my life several years ago and Drone has been for a long time now!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

I've spent as many as four hours repeating the same song on Youtube. It gives me a little high.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

a_dork wrote:
I've spent as many as four hours repeating the same song on Youtube. It gives me a little high.

Lol, since my posting I've checked out the Blondie song on Youtube, and ended up watching it about 10 times in succession!

Still a brilliant song, and it also reminded me why I was so keen on Debbie Harry!

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm

I used to listen to the same song for days to weeks. Sometimes it started sounding different, somehow, and then I had to change it. Sometimes my sisters insisted on singing along, and I hated that, so I had to change it. But otherwise it would just play over and over and over, until I found a new favorite. I didn't think it was weird, though.

And even though I don't usually listen on repeat anymore, they still get stuck in my head. "Loving the Alien" (Velvet Revolver) has been there for a few days. Before this it was "Blake Says" and before that was "Juke Box Hero." lol

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 9:32 pm

For me it's usually the same book on tape over and over again. I sometimes listen repeatedly to the same chapter, or CD if its not on my iPod or iPad. Or I watch the same movie or TV show over and over. On the rare occasions when I do listen to music I often out the same song or group of songs on repeat. I think it might have to do with the comfort of familiarity or another manifestation of the autistic tendency to do repetitive actions.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 12:46 am

I do, often. Apparently when someone else is upstairs in bed with a fever, it makes them think they've lost their mind..

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 12:52 am

I sometimes have this, but these days it's usually no more than 3 or 4 times. Sometimes I'll be walking outside with my discman, and a song will come up which I'm really fond of, and then I'll repeat it if I was distracted by something and failed to fully enjoy the whole song.

It used to be that I'd listen to a song on repeat a couple of times when I was younger, but these days it doesn't happen that often.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 2:05 am

I do this sometimes, but usually not a whole day, but I can listen to the same song many times in a row, and then again the next day. I also do this with movies, especially the Lord of the Rings, and now also The Hobbit movies. I think I have watched the LOTR movies at least a hundred times so far, there has been a period where I listened to the first movie every single day, now I watch other movies too, but I still watch both LOTR and The Hobbit movies pretty often.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2014, 6:36 am

I keep on repeating this commercial but only when no one is around. The catchy tune gets me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xTjejvnBJfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motherof2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2014, 8:23 pm

jayjayuk wrote:
Sometimes I like to listen to the same song over and over again. Currently I am listening to a song by Deadmau5 - Brazil 2nd Edit. I've been listening to it on and off all day yesterday, and today. I've had it on repeat right now for 3 hours.

I find that repeating a song that inspires me gives me huge bursts of inspiration and determination, the longer I listen to it the more inspired I continue to be.

But, the problem is I am always conscious of whether or not other people notice I am listen to the same song over and over again. Which causes me to feel a bit worried, or nervous, for doing it. So I tend to feel forced to switch tracks.

Am I just odd, or does anyone else think like that?

I have been listening to 6 albums of Deadmau5 for weeks in the car.

TrueScientist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jun 2014, 5:47 pm

I can never fully like a song the same way after the first few plays because
it gets boring and predictable for me.
It doesn't matter what others think of what music you listen to, especially if
you're using earphones or listening privately some other way.
People have listened to weirder stuff than one track on repeat for hours.

I sometimes repeat songs because I visualise certain things and then recall them;
e.g. if I visually created a movie fight sequence in my mind with a song,
and I wanted to play that scene again, it would help to play the same song again.
But then it gets difficult thinking of new stuff to visualise with the same song so
I switch songs.

I'm not even sure if it's normal or if most people visualise when they listen to music.
Obviously if I'm doing something like reading, my attention to the music is limited
and the visualisation stops or moves to what I'm reading about.