Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Weinmann1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2014, 5:59 pm

Does anyone else begin to feel uneasy when you:

Post a question, wait a while, still no response. During this time, questions posted at a similar time in the same section are being answered?

Or am I the only person this happens to? ( I know I'm not but it feels like it)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

It's somewhat of a random thing.

However, I believe it's possible that some WP "veterans" might be answered more readily than relative "newbies."

If you post ANYTHING about autism, especially as it involves something like "executive function," I believe you'll get plenty of responses.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

I haven't even scratch the surface of all the messages here. I imagine it is the same for others, and isn't because others are avoiding answering. I wouldn't take it personally.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm

I answer things I have an answer to. 8)

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

YES. I automatically assume no one is going to reply because I'm unpopular for whatever reason. So it's always a nice surprise when people do.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:36 pm

I'm slightly insecure. I check my threads constantly, but always convince myself that someone will eventually answer

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:51 pm

Nah, it's just how forums work. Most will have no answer, while others can only give first hand experiences. Also with the nature of forums, it will take time to be seen or responded to depending if other more popular threads bump your thread down the pages, depending on the activity or how the sub-forum or the site is. I have a rule when it comes to getting a questing needing answered, wait a week before bumping the thread, patience is key.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:57 pm

I think you have to introduce a topic which is relevant to the lives of most people here.

Autism is the most relevant thing. Introduce a facet of your autism, such as executive function difficulties and synesthesia. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

Or, if you like controversy, you could speak about your frustration out of not getting social cues during a date. People will come streaming to your thread.

If you introduce a topic about, say, yachting, you won't get any responses at all.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 8:48 pm

I get ignored ALOT, especially when I bring up anything that has to do with taking action to improve lives of all Autistics.

I hate it when I get no replies. I get super sad. About once a week or so, I'll go into General Discussion and look for the threads with no replies and go out of my way to respond to them because I am afraid that they might feel the same. There are a few people here who it seems do the same for me. [ I am grateful]

There are certain types of questions with either super simple answers, and also ones that lead to a bit of sniping that seem to get the most responses. [ make a post about how wonderful AutismSpeaks is, or anything that might be regarded as sexism, and I guarantee many responses.] Also,ironically, I have noticed that "small talk" posts are ussually answered.

Please do not be sad. Please do not feel that you are not one of the "cool kids." I think you are super awesome.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 8:55 pm

Vicky's right. Just respond to some of the other threads--you'll get known that way.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm

I think almost none of my posts have been acknowledged today.

ChameleonKeys
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2014, 9:05 pm

Personally, there are a lot of posts I read with interest but do not reply to. This is not because the poster didn't make a good thread or because I don't wish them well but more because I have a limited amount of time and energy and can't give everyone the type of reply I feel they deserve. It is also because people often don't like what I contribute anyway and I get really tired of people's replies implying cruel and negative things about me when I went to the trouble of taking the time to try to reply to them and contribute something to their discussion. I get really hurt so don't reply further, or I do type another reply but don't post it. I also don't reply if someone else has already replied with what I would have said or has replied with a better answer than I would have given. For example, if you have a thread with only one reply but it's a very good one; it might well be that it has been seen by many people who all just felt that they couldn't contribute anything that wasn't already in that one fantastic reply. It's not always about the number of replies, it's often about the quality. There are threads with a huge number of replies but only because they contain a heated argument between respondents or a great deal of derailment and they're not actually adding anything relevant to the OPs intended area of discussion.

If you want more replies, I suggest naming your posts in regard to an issue rather than something personal (I've noticed when people make their thread about themselves only they tend to get less replies than something that everyone can contribute to). Threads that are about Autistics collectively rather than using the word "I" get more replies. I also suggest trying to be gentle with those who reply even if they come across poorly, insensitively, bluntly or as a bit verbose or pedantic - Those are common features of many replies yet many of us are insulted for replying in typically Aspie/Autie ways. Also, if someone asks for clarification of what your question is, then do explain further. I find if I ask for clarification because I want to reply but am unsure what the OP wants to know specifically, they very rarely reply kindly, if at all. I'm sure it's because I have an unpleasant manner and am rather unlikable but it's not intentional on my part. I won't ever win any popularity contests and I'm not charming or charismatic but I do care deeply about others here and when I reply it's not out of obnoxiousness (even if that's how people perceive me) but rather because I want to contribute and they genuinely want answers. Unfortunately when I realise that my answer is not going to make them happy (even if I know I'm right) I tend to back off to avoid the unpleasant reactions when I don't tell them what they want to hear. Also, think about the time you post. Some posts are made when less people are online (because of both differing time zones and lifestyles) so they are slower to receive replies. They are also often pushed down the list by popular posts which people are already involved in so aren't seen quite as easily.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:07 pm

That's not true, Reticient; you seemed a very active member today. You were rather prominent throughout the day.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's not true, Reticient; you seemed a very active member today. You were rather prominent throughout the day.

If by 'prominent' you mean I 'posted a lot and was just kinda 'there' rather than being included in conversation', then sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:28 pm

This is true: most people don't "converse" during threads. They just post their "take" on the particular topic at hand.

It's very rare that my posts actually get an overt response. However, despite that, I've acquired a little bit of a reputation on this Forum--I don't know how good--but a little bit of a reputation.

You've probably acquired a reputation, too--probably a good one.

People do read what you say. Since many people are autistic, they are, perhaps, too shy to respond directly.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

I would not take it personally. This is a huge forum, and it's kind of chaotic here, so a lot of threads (and posts within threads) just slip through the cracks. Plus the majority of people here have some sort of trouble communicating, so some people may read and just not know how to respond.

I don't even read a lot of threads myself, and it's not that I want to ignore anyone, or slight them, but I just don't have the mental energy to invest myself in a lot of discussions. And I mostly just read here in general and rarely venture into the other subforums. I have noticed that threads in some of the other subforums just drop like lead balloons, and I think that is because not as many people read those.

I am more often uneasy about the kinds of replies I get, rather than not getting any. I am especially uncomfortable when one or two people keep responding to me over and over. I don't want to ignore anyone, but I simply cannot engage people that way.

I would guess that a lot of people here have varying personal reasons why they might not read or respond to things, and it is not anything to do with you.