Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntda
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2007, 1:03 am

did anyone ever have that problem? my neice talks and talks. its music to my ears but the teachers have a problem with it.she is an aspie with adhd.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 1:40 am

How old is your niece?

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 5:11 am

I used to be like that but not any more. I think part of the reason I talk to myself so much is just needing to talk but not wanting to inflict it on anyone! :lol:

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:42 am

It can be signs of both. It just depends on where she is in the spectrum of her AS and how much influence the ADHD has on it. She's probably talking about her special interest. Actually, if her teachers know she has this, they should really expect it and not be driven crazy by it.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 10:04 am

Yes, I used to be in trouble a great deal for this as a child, especially at school. I cannot remember much, but I do remember I would either be talking a lot, or wander off alone.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

auntda wrote:
did anyone ever have that problem? my neice talks and talks. its music to my ears but the teachers have a problem with it.she is an aspie with adhd.

---

Women in general like to talk. Often there is a pattern pretty close to reviewing everything which happened during a day. In my view, some of it is normal (likely genetic in nature) and part of communication skills.

It can take some children a while to realize that social manners tend to promote less speech/or give and take talking vs endless, monologue talking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manners

At the same time, in the world of religions and politics, there are religious leaders who can talk for hours and hours and hours with no questions allowed and politicians who can give four hour speeches with no questions allowed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictatorship

Those religious leaders and politicians do not meet the criteria of aspies with ADHD.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 9:52 pm

My 5 yr old son who was diagnosed as PDD-NOS/possible Asperger's and the school assessed him for ADHD, and said that he has the characteristics, talks all of the time too. He is either talking, singing out loud, making noises, clapping, he is very rarely quiet. He can talk in perfect sentences, that make perfect sense, but he also likes to babble and make up silly words and ask repetitive questions, and repeat stuff that he has heard over and over----It is driving us crazy!! ! I adore my little boy, and like you, and am so very grateful that he is verbal, but man, sometimes I wish he could give it a rest! He has issues with this at school too, and I am afraid that if he can't get it under control, that they will want to continue to place him in special ed courses. I wish I knew what to do about it!

Good luck, and hopefully, someone else can give some advice!

Rachel88
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2010, 3:52 pm

scrulie wrote:
I used to be like that but not any more. I think part of the reason I talk to myself so much is just needing to talk but not wanting to inflict it on anyone! :lol:

i talk to myself , a lot lol, well wen my mum n her bf r out lol. its a kind of comfort thing, i dunno how to describe it, please dont call me crazy :(.

CMD
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2010, 4:45 pm

Yes, and I still have the problem when it comes to discussing anything that I am interested in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:54 pm

I've caught myself, rambling on, at the mall, yesterday evening. I didn't realize that I talk so much, until I was listening to myself. I talked about the dinner at the clubhouse, my job placement officer, my mum, baseball, birthday bags, The Kinks and how people say the word, ret*d so casually, in less than 5 minutes.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:18 pm

Rachel88 wrote:
scrulie wrote:

i talk to myself , a lot lol, well wen my mum n her bf r out lol. its a kind of comfort thing, i dunno how to describe it, please dont call me crazy :(.
Crazy is not a bad thing sometimes. And normal is boring. So... yeah, if somebody says "weird" to you around here, it's likely to mean, "Hey! You're one of us!" (And this is coming from a proud weirdo, so you know it's true!) People 'round here do things like talking to themselves all the time. It helps us think.

Anyway, I don't think it's very good to try to stop a child from talking. We are so very prone to social phobia and selective mutism that the more we talk, the better. Teaching conversation skills, or how to learn to talk "later" rather than "now"... that comes in useful. But never, never, "shut up". Kids should speak and be heard; otherwise, how will they learn to communicate?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 6:21 pm

Callista, I agree with you about the talking. It is not so much that I mind hearing my son talk so much as I mind all of the annoying noises that he makes. They are not quiet noises. They are loud and obtrusive, and he has complete control over them. At first, I thought that he had Tourette's, but from what I have seen and read about Tourette's, they do not have control. My son does have control, but it seems that he just likes to do this. Last night, I said to him "Please stop making these loud noises. It bothers people and it scares people. I asked him if he wanted me to make those noises all of the time, and I tried it a couple of times, and he did not like it either. But, it didn't stop him from doing it more today.

One of our problems is that I suspect that my husband is a very high functioning Aspie, and he is going absolutely crazy with the noise levels. He doesn't mind the talking or the singing, but it is the obnoxious noises that get to him. I really wish someone could help us!! !

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

I barely talk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

I still talk a lot. I have been talking a lot since I was six.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 6:28 pm

Yep, that was me as a kid. Until I started getting bulled in JHS. Then I shut up.

But when I was little I was constantly talking, nonstop, cuz I was interested in EVERYTHING. And I would talk over other people. My mom had to tell me "Let your brothers have a chance to talk."

I'm still a talker when I'm around people I am comfortable with.

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm

I tend to talk and talk about topics that I find interesting even though everyone else wants the conversation to move on. My NT friends have developed subtle hand signals that let me know when this is happening so I can stop.