Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

The tittle doesn't fit well because it'll be too long.

But here's the question: What's the difference between an aspie who doesn't want a 'cure' or being an NT, and those who are willingly want to be an NT? What distinguishes them aside from their reasons of their desire of being one with the NT?
I would like to know their weaknesses, morals, strengths, views in life, spirituality, their sexuality, etc. in general. Like which of them do they care about humanity more? Or which of them is more of a bully? Which of them is more 'vulnerable' to depression? Which of them is more prone to be homosexual? Which of them are ready for responsibilities and consequences? ... And so on...

And I'm aware these answers and opinions will change overtime...
Please don't answer or judge someone else's answer when replying. No arguments too. It's all opinions. Keep it subjective.

I don't desire cure or being an NT.

*cuts*

Edna3362 wrote:
The question isn't about who wants to be an NT.

The question is the general differences between an aspie who is a curebie, and an aspie who doesn't want to be an NT... excluding their wants or reasons to be an NT/reasons not to be an NT respectively. Like which of either aspies are likely to be more depressed, or accepted, or happier, and so on...

I'll be stopping here...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 05 Sep 2014, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

I don't want to be NT .. I just want to not have this crippling socializing part of AS. :)

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

I do not think anyone really wants to change the way they are if they didn't have to.

We have to change if they want to achieve certain things in life since our society is not going to change to accommodate and accept us the way we are. It's a sad reality but also an unavoidable one. Some people are forced to change more than others to accommodate their wishes and goals.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm

qFox wrote:
I do not think anyone really wants to change the way they are if they didn't have to.

We have to change if they want to achieve certain things in life since our society is not going to change to accommodate and accept us the way we are. It's a sad reality but also an unavoidable one. Some people are forced to change more than others to accommodate their wishes and goals.

Screw that if society doesn't start changing and accommodating its varying population its likely to burn...Society has changed to do a somewhat better job of accommodating or accepting other groups of people, granted not entirely with any of them either still stigma for lots of people.

Not a society I'd want anything to do with.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 7:47 pm

It's very simple: I don't want to be NT--I want to be me.

Sometimes, I feel like I have to adjust myself to the NT world; sometimes, I don't

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 7:53 pm

I have no desire to be NT. I want to be the way that God intended for me to be, and he intended for me to be on the spectrum.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 10:14 pm

The question isn't about who wants to be an NT.

The question is the general differences between an aspie who is a curebie, and an aspie who doesn't want to be an NT... excluding their wants or reasons to be an NT/reasons not to be an NT respectively. Like which of either aspies are likely to be more depressed, or accepted, or happier, and so on...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2014, 12:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

Society has changed to do a somewhat better job of accommodating or accepting other groups of people, granted not entirely with any of them either still stigma for lots of people.

I think society has changed to do a whole lot more of accommodating other groups of people to the point that we don't really know what an achievement is anymore. Everyone gets a trophy regardless of the quality of their performance and everyone gets a diploma and a college degree as long as they enroll. In my experience, what I've seen is discrimination/stigmatization of individuals who like to go their own way about things and earn their achievements by merit. It doesn't matter that you have the experience, skills, or talent to get such-and-such position. They want the giggly social butterfly of a person who's just so likeable that the needed experience, skills, or talent can be fabricated with ease anyway. And then people complain about stuff not getting done...

I think there was a time when you could hold achievements by merit to your name. Now you can't.

Tiffany_Aching
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2014, 1:00 am

I suspect that a curebie is more likely to be accepted by allistic society, simply because they're perceived as being "good" and wanting what's "best" for them. IE, to become more like allistics.

People who don't want to be allistic are generally treated with suspicion or disdain. Like there's something extra wrong with them. Because allistics already think autistic people are broken, the idea that we might not want to be "fixed" is impossible for them to comprehend.

When I say broken & wrong I mean from the allistic POV. It's just my guess though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:54 am

MatchingBlues wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Society has changed to do a somewhat better job of accommodating or accepting other groups of people, granted not entirely with any of them either still stigma for lots of people.

I think society has changed to do a whole lot more of accommodating other groups of people to the point that we don't really know what an achievement is anymore. Everyone gets a trophy regardless of the quality of their performance and everyone gets a diploma and a college degree as long as they enroll. In my experience, what I've seen is discrimination/stigmatization of individuals who like to go their own way about things and earn their achievements by merit. It doesn't matter that you have the experience, skills, or talent to get such-and-such position. They want the giggly social butterfly of a person who's just so likeable that the needed experience, skills, or talent can be fabricated with ease anyway. And then people complain about stuff not getting done...

I think there was a time when you could hold achievements by merit to your name. Now you can't.

Well aside from large corporations that influence the government rather heavily, and the upper class or above don't really think this society is doing a whole lot for people who need actual accommodations and more acceptance rather than stigma and blame for their problems rather than help(not saying no one should ever sort out any of their own problems...but some things do require help like severe mental disorders, mental/ physical disabilities, being in poverty ect.

Also I enrolled in college, went to college and dropped out of college and do not have a degree....you have to do more than enroll in my experience...and for various reasons I couldn't get through it. So how is it everyone gets a trophy regardless of performance. Also yes there is stigma/discrimination towards anything that is not 'typical'....we're all supposed to get a job, either be or be good at pretending to be bubbly and overly friendly on the job, go have a family or get married and live a normal life with at least two cars and one of those suburban sort of nice but made of rather cheap materials houses going your own way is not really approved to much cause we need to depend on corprorate crap apparently....then society looks down on people who have a difficult time functioning in this crap society.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2014, 2:17 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well aside from large corporations that influence the government rather heavily, and the upper class or above don't really think this society is doing a whole lot for people who need actual accommodations and more acceptance rather than stigma and blame for their problems rather than help(not saying no one should ever sort out any of their own problems...but some things do require help like severe mental disorders, mental/ physical disabilities, being in poverty ect.

Also I enrolled in college, went to college and dropped out of college and do not have a degree....you have to do more than enroll in my experience...and for various reasons I couldn't get through it. So how is it everyone gets a trophy regardless of performance. Also yes there is stigma/discrimination towards anything that is not 'typical'....we're all supposed to get a job, either be or be good at pretending to be bubbly and overly friendly on the job, go have a family or get married and live a normal life with at least two cars and one of those suburban sort of nice but made of rather cheap materials houses going your own way is not really approved to much cause we need to depend on corprorate crap apparently....then society looks down on people who have a difficult time functioning in this crap society.

You ask how it is that everyone gets a trophy regardless of performance. I see that you live in Colorado, and not South Texas. It seems my observations don't fall in line with what others see. I would be fine with accommodations granted for those with the problems you stipulated. However, what I see in the education system, both in at the high school and college levels, are accommodations based on race and the assumptions that come with race. It seems to me that everyone gets a trophy. At least here. This is the first form of discrimination, followed by the individualism ("going your own way") that you've described that is in such conflict with the highly collectivist, religious, family-oriented and sheltered dynamics I see here. If you're not of a certain protected racial group, despite your disadvantages, you're expected to go after whatever success is because it's assumed you have the resources. And if you do well, you are seen as "stealing" from the already dominant group.

It's never been imparted to me that I'm supposed to get a job or be sociable. In fact, I get asked how it is, in spite of things that happened, that I am able to have a full time job. In seriousness, I have had people suggest I collect disability so no one has to go through the horror of dealing with me. Different people aren't allowed to do well or even attempt to fit in without heavy scrutiny and scapegoating.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

MatchingBlues wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You ask how it is that everyone gets a trophy regardless of performance. I see that you live in Colorado, and not South Texas. It seems my observations don't fall in line with what others see. I would be fine with accommodations granted for those with the problems you stipulated. However, what I see in the education system, both in at the high school and college levels, are accommodations based on race and the assumptions that come with race. It seems to me that everyone gets a trophy. At least here. This is the first form of discrimination, followed by the individualism ("going your own way") that you've described that is in such conflict with the highly collectivist, religious, family-oriented and sheltered dynamics I see here. If you're not of a certain protected racial group, despite your disadvantages, you're expected to go after whatever success is because it's assumed you have the resources. And if you do well, you are seen as "stealing" from the already dominant group.

It's never been imparted to me that I'm supposed to get a job or be sociable. In fact, I get asked how it is, in spite of things that happened, that I am able to have a full time job. In seriousness, I have had people suggest I collect disability so no one has to go through the horror of dealing with me. Different people aren't allowed to do well or even attempt to fit in without heavy scrutiny and scapegoating.

Well I don't think race is a disability...however what do people want a trophy for so bad anyways, those seem kinda bulky and useless(joking I know you don't mean a literal one pretty sure).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 10:08 am

I think it's all right to give trophies for "trying," though I'd rather they be given solely for winning.

ASD people who are "curebies" tend to be irritated by their ASD traits. They want to assimilate into the "NT" world without emphasizing their strengths. They usually don't see the STRENGTHS involved in being Aspies/Autistics--only the weaknesses. They want to be "cured" of the ASD, rather than allow their strengths to complement the strengths of "NT's" whom they come in contact with.

I don't believe in "separatism" between people with ASD's and "NT's." Usually, it not that people with ASD's WANT to be "NT," it's that they know that, in order to succeed in the world at large, that they have to assimilate, at least to a degree, with the "NT" world. They don't want to be "NT's" necessarily; it's more like they are pragmatists who are smart enough to know that total separation from the outer world is, usually, a recipe for failure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think it's all right to give trophies for "trying," though I'd rather they be given solely for winning.

ASD people who are "curebies" tend to be irritated by their ASD traits. They want to assimilate into the "NT" world without emphasizing their strengths. They usually don't see the STRENGTHS involved in being Aspies/Autistics--only the weaknesses. They want to be "cured" of the ASD, rather than allow their strengths to complement the strengths of "NT's" whom they come in contact with.

I don't believe in "separatism" between people with ASD's and "NT's." Usually, it not that people with ASD's WANT to be "NT," it's that they know that, in order to succeed in the world at large, that they have to assimilate, at least to a degree, with the "NT" world. They don't want to be "NT's" necessarily; it's more like they are pragmatists who are smart enough to know that total separation from the outer world is, usually, a recipe for failure.

Then there are those that see it as a problem in the world, that there isn't tolerance for things like ASD and other mental conditions and that 'the world at large' really sucks if in order to have any form of success in it you have to pretend to be something you're not and be damn good at it...or else failure.

PaulHubert
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

I don't want to "be" NT, but I want to have adequate NT skill sets where I am weak so I can live a healthy and normal lifestyle; growing is important, people who don't don't live a fulfilling life and don't tend to contribute much to society in their lifetime.

I don't appreciate aspies who say "I refuse to edit myself"...yet still complain about having a severe social deficit. Being considerate of others applies to everyone, even if it entails changing yourself just a bit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 1:54 pm

PaulHubert wrote:
I don't want to "be" NT, but I want to have adequate NT skill sets where I am weak so I can live a healthy and normal lifestyle; growing is important, people who don't don't live a fulfilling life and don't tend to contribute much to society in their lifetime.

I don't appreciate aspies who say "I refuse to edit myself"...yet still complain about having a severe social deficit. Being considerate of others applies to everyone, even if it entails changing yourself just a bit.

Being considerate of others and trying to be more NT are not the same thing.

Also why is a normal lifestyle considered growing, what is wrong with abnormal lifestyles? Also how do you define contributing to society?