Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Hotlava
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2014, 7:28 pm

Hello I'm new here. I'm not sure if I'm on the spectrum or not though a lot of people in my family suspect I might be. However I don't know much about it but I have heard that usually people on the spectrum have uneven cognitive profiles. And that usually neuropsych evaluation should be able to confirm whether you are on the spectrum/ have aspergers or not. If anyone is familiar with neuropsychology please let me know. I'm not sure. I have been the type to think that something like ASD would be able to be picked up on an IQ/neuropsychological evaluation easily seeing that it would be uneven. Is this true for everyone or is it possible to be NT and have an uneven cognitive profile? I'm a little confused. Thanks for your time.

fossil_n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2014, 1:32 am

Yes, neuropsychologists can diagnose ASD, in fact they are probably the most qualified/have the best assessments for diagnosing it. My diagnosis was made by a neuropsychologist.

However, they do not diagnose based upon an uneven cognitive profile. An uneven cognitive profile would probably suggest an issue, maybe but not neccessarily ASD depending on how it is uneven. An ASD diagnosis will be made based upon the two main criteria in the DSM: impairment in social interaction and restrictive, repetitive behaviors and interests. Other common issues related to autism such as sensory sensitivity can also contribute to the diagnosis, but those two main criteria must be met.