Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 10:55 am

I've been reading an article on body language and it talked about (amongst other things) the body language people use. It talks about stance, posture, gestures, eye contact etc.

My question is this. Do any of you confirmed Aspies use gestures when you speak? Hand gestures? Body gestures (is there such a thing as a body gesture)?
I never do. I don't think I'd even know how to move my hands to covey non verbal messages apart from threatening ones (which I'm not like).

Help me on this! Please.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2014, 11:02 am

My body barely moves when I speak unless I put a concious effort.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2014, 11:43 am

I think I only have facial expressions for nonverbal communication, but I'm honestly not entirely sure and I might occasionally use hand gestures. I'll observe and update later.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 3:30 pm

Yeah, I use some gestures and body language, like flipping the bird, thumbs up, pointing with index finger, using the signs to indicate "come", "stop" and "shush", nod, shake head, shrug, and crossing my arms. I probably use them less often than NTs, but I do find myself using them without thinking about it. IDK if there are other gestures I make, those are the ones I know I do. I also know how to reject someone in body language, but sadly for me I do a lot of the same things by default, which isn't good when I don't wanna block them off.
And in a dream more than a decade ago I used a posture to look tough.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Last edited by Skilpadde on 14 Oct 2014, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:24 pm

It's not like I never use gestures (because I do sometimes) but I don't do it very often. I pretty much only use the minimum amount of gestures, facial expressions etc. that I need to get by. In social situations I have to consciously think about making gestures, looking people in the eye, smiling etc., though a lot of the time I don't do it anyway. My psychologist says my face is mostly just "flat" and that I don't use gestures that much at all.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

I do. I had no idea about it untill I seen some surprise photos where I talk with friends, unaware there is camera pointed at us. I definitely have a body language since my body seems to be in constant motion there. My facial expressions seem weird, like a caricature, my body position seems unnatural. My friends seem almost static. I move like a kid compared to them. My expressions seem exaggerated.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 5:33 pm

i use a lot of hand motions, it helps me get words out faster, but as for body language, i do not understand a tiny bit of body language, it is a big mystery to me, so i dont know if i display body language because i dont know what it looks like or how to do it.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

I move my lower jaw but that's about all.