Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 1:00 am

I have seen on WrongPlanet that aspies are commonly "fair", (but I don't want to post in the thread I was saw it in because it was from 5 years ago). Also, I have heard that they often have red hair and light eyes. I don't look like this at all, I have dark brown eyes, dark brown hair and I can't really describe my skin tone but it's not pale like some people's, in fact, it is a bit darker than a lot of people's. Is there anyone else who doesn't fit the "aspie" look? I am not sure if the "fair" thing is true or not, but I have heard it.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 1:04 am

Don't worry about the hair color or eye color, that doesn't really make sense.

The closest I have seen for some type of agreement on how aspies look is that we look young for our age.

I look 15 or 16 and I am 19. My brother is 17 and could probably pass for 20 (we are pretty much the same height)

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 1:30 am

I have blonde hair and dark, dark eyes.
The only thing I can gather is that certain non-dominant traits might for some reason cluster in certain individuals-
I believe alternate handedness is more common on the spectrum, anecdotally, for instance-
so maybe a higher percentage of Aspies have lighter features than would be expected in the neurotypical population.
But there's far from a consensus about any of that.

to his Interest."

Niniel
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2012, 1:37 am

From what I have seen, people on the spectrum comes in all shapes and sizes:)

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2012, 1:45 am

I think there are quite a variety of people on the spectrum, but just for posterity--I have light brown (curly) hair, light blue eyes, and very fair skin. However, my mom (who also has AS) has similar hair, darker skin, and dark brown eyes.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2012, 1:48 am

Oh, and we also both look young for our ages.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 2:18 am

Alexender wrote:
Don't worry about the hair color or eye color, that doesn't really make sense.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 2:39 am

I'm a white guy that looks slightly hispanic. That means I'm tan with black hair/brown eyes.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 2:58 am

Not fair, no red hair, no light eyes. (I'm white, too.)

In fact, I only know one Aspie with red hair and light eyes, and he's in elementary school. 8O

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
so maybe a higher percentage of Aspies have lighter features than would be expected in the neurotypical population.

I don't think physical appearance has any correlation between whether someone is on the spectrum or not, I have black hair and brown eyes, I tend to think I appear serious, expressionless and distant which may be an indicator as you can see from my display photo, several of the males on here tend to have dark features, however the females tend to have lighter childlike features which is interesting.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 4:18 am

I am unsure if I have that(since I am so overweight that I don't have much of a look) but perhaps once I improve my situation I'll be able to see whether or not I have the "Aspie look".

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 4:21 am

Wolfheart wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

I don't think physical appearance has any correlation between whether someone is on the spectrum or not, I have black hair and brown eyes, I tend to think I appear serious, expressionless and distant which may be an indicator as you can see from my display photo, several of the males on here tend to have dark features, however the females tend to have lighter childlike features which is interesting.

to his Interest."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 4:59 am

I don't know where someone dragged that BS from, because fair hair and skin is common in the UK, so why would it have anything to do with having AS? I have pale skin but both my parents are pale too. My hair isn't completely blonde, it's more of a brown-ish colour. My dad has red hair in his family but I haven't got red hair.

I've met Aspies who have dark hair. Aspies do NOT have an albino trait in them. Just saying in case a thread comes up saying something like that one day (which wouldn't surprise me).

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:04 am

~sigh~

Mmmkay.

You or someone you know or your perception of people on here is completely irrelevant, mmkay?

The thread's question isn't whether ALL Aspies are X/Y/Z, so "herp derp, I'm not!" is pretty silly.

The question is whether MORE of them are X/Y/Z than NEUROTYPICALS, IE, a correlation between Asperger's and coloring.

to his Interest."

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2012, 7:56 am

Only one thing to say, shorter than average hair (most of the time)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 8:49 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
~sigh~

Mmmkay.

You or someone you know or your perception of people on here is completely irrelevant, mmkay?

The thread's question isn't whether ALL Aspies are X/Y/Z, so "herp derp, I'm not!" is pretty silly.

The question is whether MORE of them are X/Y/Z than NEUROTYPICALS, IE, a correlation between Asperger's and coloring.

But there is no correlation between AS and hair colour. This is what annoys me about WP - every possible feature on one's body is being associated with having AS, just because coinicidentally some of us have probably met more Aspies with blonde hair so they suddenly jump to conclusion that it must be something to do with the condition they have.

I've met more female with blonde hair than I have males, but I wouldn't say ''blonde hair is more common in females''.