Did you/do you receive special help from schools?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:24 am

I was just curious about people with AS who have ever received special help. I know most of them usually go on a 504 plan, but I was still wondering how many actually have had further help or not. I'm not considered as an aspie, but I was in resource classes with a mentor teacher to back me up. Resource classes are much smaller than the average regular classes and have modified homework and schoolwork (for those that don't know what they are in other countries).

I only had mild forms of disability. No one really took my learning challenges seriously, even when it was clearly right in front of them as well. D: I had trouble staying organized, concentrating in class and doing my homework at home. No one really did much to help me, and my parents actually gave up on making me do homework because it was such a huge hassle for me. My mom also fought with the schools I went to to get me an aide, but they only denied her request and said I didn't need one.

So, what about you? What kind of help did you receive? For those still in school, do you still get the help you need? Why or why not? If you could get any kind of help you wanted in school, what would it have been?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:29 am

I went to 'special schools" most of my pre-college academic career. I never received any academic help. I was counseled and/or punished whenever behavioral problems manifested.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:32 am

I didn't get any help until I started university. Now I'm getting some help, which I'm very thankful for. I get to take exams in a separate room, get one hour extra exam time (which I hardly ever use but it calms me down a lot to just know that I have an extra hour if I need it) and I have a "mentor" who helps me with planning. The "mentor" thing unfortunately doesn't work though. I hope that'll change. Oh and I've also gotten some help when it comes to oral presentations. I'm terrified of speaking in front of people so I've been allowed to start out small (presenting in front of the teacher or a small group of students) and work my way up. Last week I actually managed to speak in front of my whole class for the first time (I panicked before and I will most likely panic next time as well but hey, at least I survived).

I feel really bad about getting help sometimes. It worry that maybe things are easier for me than for the other students, but then I think of the reasons I need some extra help and I realize that's probably not the case.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:52 am

I didn't get any help, and for the most part didn't need it.
The only help I could have needed in school was in math. I've only had one math teacher who was good at explaining it for me, and he was just an extra teacher for a few lessons.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2014, 9:59 am

I got some, and I got offered more, but tbh most of the support was aimed at people with academic difficulties, which I didn't have.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 7:19 pm

Last year I attended a public school and received special assistance including a student helper to help me with my locker and getting from one classroom to another. But now I'm back in a special ed school.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Oct 2014, 8:20 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
So, what about you? What kind of help did you receive?

Absolutely no help whatsoever despite struggling in school. I was barely able to make the grades, constantly day-dreaming, lack of motivation, reclusive, and obviously the oddball in the classroom. I was, however, quiet and reserved outwards so no teacher paid any attention to me. During my whole 12-years of school, I was never given the opportunity to speak with a counselor, therapist, or even a teacher about anything pertaining to my educational needs. No help with homework either. I was literary left to sink and swim on my own when it came to my education. I left high school with less than a C-average and had to test up my grades as an adult. Oh well, at least I was in the top one percentile on the SAT.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

I never received any help at all.

Wreck It Ralph

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:25 pm

yes in fact I'm looking for some assistance with the classes I'm taking now I need a tutor and somebody to sit with me in class (an aide for a lack of a better word) to help guide me through the classes and perhaps translate what the teacher is saying into terms that I can understand and just guide me not to do my work for me. so far it's an uphill battle.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:26 pm

Congratulations Rebbieh, that is fantastic about your speech to your whole class. Well done! :thumleft:

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

JoelFan: your problem is primarily in math, right?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:45 pm

skibum wrote:
Congratulations Rebbieh, that is fantastic about your speech to your whole class. Well done! :thumleft:

Thank you, skibum. :)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:21 am

I did not. I had a 504, but I didn't request anything. I was given an individual locker, but I didn't ask for that and I didn't use it.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
JoelFan: your problem is primarily in math, right?

Math is a BIG issue correct however because the semester is going to end in Dec I'm being asked to write up essays based off of text from a book done in class which I can not reference back to because the book(s) I need are not being sold at the college or book stores near me and the teacher can not make copies due to copyright issues. So I'm having to recall things with a sometimes faulty mind or rely on cellphone pictures which sucks. Now also I'm having to juggle 4-5 different books in a 2-3 hour class I can't manage all that! 1 or 2 subjects I can deal with. So yea I need somebody to help guide me because I am having issues comprehending so much.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 1:49 am

I was on a 504 throughout elementary, middle and the first year of high school, but really only used it up to grade 7 (except for state assessments which I always got unlimited time for). I had a lot of trouble with my motor skills and staying organised, and had my homework and schoolwork modified until about the fourth or fifth grade because of my tendency to get easily distracted or frustrated, or the fact that it always took me forever. With no autism diagnosis, I received all this help as a result of my extreme prematurity (26 weeks) which caused physical and other developmental delays.

This semester in college is the first time I've requested special help for my disability; I couldn't get it before because I didn't have an official diagnosis, plus I didn't realise at the time that I needed it. I now get double time for my statistics exams, which is extremely helpful (the exam I took last week, I only had half completed by the time the standard hour and fifteen minutes was up). It's really the only support I need at the moment, since all my other exams are multiple choice and don't take very long, and I've figured out how to keep myself organised as I've gotten older.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:59 am

I had a school aid with me from 7th to 12th grade and I was also in the resource room. I also got my work modified. I was on the IEP from early childhood. I don't know if I ever had the 504 plan. I do remember going to special ed in elementary school and I was in a self contained room when I was six and seven. I went to a school for kids with developmental delays when I was 3-5 years old.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.