Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

How can I a High Functioning adult female have a good sense of humor. At my place of employment I found out about a year ago that I probably would be laid off. So! I decided to just be my autistic self and screw trying to fit in. It seems that I say things that really make people laugh. When I say laugh I mean laugh so hard they have tears in there eyes. For instance this morning I was in a team meeting. One of the managers said that there was a crime in his neighborhood and he said if he were to be questioned by the media he would have to act like an eastsider. Where I live the east side has a reputation for drugs and uneducated people. He said he would have to pretend he was drunk if they talked to him so people would know he was a real eastsider. I said why would you have to pretend you are a real eastsider. You are already like that? Everyone thought is was real funny, I at first was not trying to be funny and was quite serious but others thought it was hilarious.

I also bought some stick on's to put on the managers cubical windows. One of them said Ho Ho Ho and I put in on my manager Nicci's cube. Everyone was laughing because they thought I was calling her a Ho. "Slang for whore." I don't even have to try to be funny it just comes natural for me. When I was younger I was very introverted and did not talk much because I did not want people to think I was weird. I guess since I have aged I don't care what people think of me anymore. I will never understand how NT's view humor because most of the time what I think is not funny is funny to them and vise versa. So! I have learned to says or do things opposite of what I think is funny to get a good laugh out of the NT's I work with. I laugh allot at my own inside jokes every day. Most people would not see the humor in them so I don't share them.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

19 Nov 2014, 1:23 am

Dan Aykroid.

Same deal.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:32 am

Deb1970 wrote:
How can I a High Functioning adult female have a good sense of humor ... I don't even have to try to be funny it just comes natural for me.

I would argue that these people in the examples are not laughing at your sense of humour. You are not trying to be funny, therefore this is not your humour that they are laughing at. They are laughing at what they THINK you are intending.

For it to be your own sense of humour, it has to be jokes that you intended.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:49 am

I agree with yellowtamarin. You didn't intend to be funny so it wasn't your sense of humor.

Your comment about your colleague is one I would have interpreted the same was as they did, that you were making a quip about him already being the stereotype eastender.

Quote:
When I was younger I was very introverted and did not talk much because I did not want people to think I was weird.

Not talking out of fear is not what introverted means.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:17 am

I think I have a good sense of humor when people laugh at things I say that I did not intend to be funny.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

19 Nov 2014, 9:50 am

The irony in life is your sence of humor. Something like that. If you make people laugh, you have one. It is a natural thing. Most people that try to be funny to me seem rather dry, and dull.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:58 am

I'm high functioning and have a good sense of humour. It's because I understand what they think is funny. I just can't act in a way that allows me to join in. I can't keep a conversation going more than a couple of minutes but I DO KNOW what they think is funny. I'm smart. I'm quick and I know what to say on the spur of the moment but that's it. As far as conversation goes, I'm out!! !

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I'm high functioning and have a good sense of humour. It's because I understand what they think is funny. I just can't act in a way that allows me to join in. I can't keep a conversation going more than a couple of minutes but I DO KNOW what they think is funny. I'm smart. I'm quick and I know what to say on the spur of the moment but that's it. As far as conversation goes, I'm out!! !

I'm the same. I know how to make people laugh, I do it intentionally and unintentionally. Though I'm terrible at actual jokes. I am very good at silly/funny/whatever comments sort of humour.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

Half the time I do, half the time I don't.

Half the time I do, while it, half the time I really made people laugh, and half the time making people confused.
And the other half, half the time I unintentionally made someone laugh; half the time I end up being pissed because of it.
Goddamned 'halves of half'.

Can I say: ¼ Intentionally made someone laugh and people appreciates it, ¼ Intentionally making a joke ends up with confused people. ¼ Unintentionally being funny, people laughs, but I end up confused. ¼ Unintentionally being funny, people laughs; and I end up being pissed.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

This reminds me of that episode of Star Trek:TNG where Data wanted to learn to be funny. Unfortunately, he got a holodeck Joe Piscopo to advise him and it didn't work out.

Humor is usually ingrained in a persons personality and therefore hard to deliberately develop. Like others said, it doesn't count if you didn't intend it as a joke.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:41 pm

The stuff that comes out of my mouth half the time has a lot of people in stitches - they don't know whether to laugh or cry from what they tell me.

Sometimes the response to what I say is just "OMG I can't believe you just said that 8O " In those situtaions I've learned to smile and everyone then cracks up.

Truth is most of the time I'm not actually trying to be funny - it's just taken that way so I go with the flow.