Have you studied ASL (sign language)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2014, 2:37 pm

I've attended a few informal classes recently, and I can already tell I would have a lot of trouble with the facial expressions component. In a way, it's reminiscent of the trouble I often have with tones in spoken language. I guess if I would take an actual class, I would probably have to ask for extra help for the facial expressions since I can't really tell what expression I'm making much of the time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm

Not formally, but my best friend since high school & his wife are both deaf. I've learned a few signs & can finger spell with ease. I can also read lips. I find that I tend to focus on people's mouths in order to read their lips vs. paying much attention to their facial expressions. I can read facial expressions OK though. It's rare that I miss what someone's face is telling me.. but I do recall it when my ASD symptoms were stronger - I recall figuring out after the fact what someone was trying to convey with their facial expression vs. realizing in the moment. I'm sure I still make those mistakes sometimes, but in general I'm pretty good with it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:31 pm

Same with me----I know a few words, and can finger-spell. From the little I know, I think the facial expressions aren't any different than if you were speaking the words----but, if you're unsure about your expressions when you're speaking, then I don't think ASL would be easy / easier.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2014, 4:36 pm

No, but since I am learning BSL (British Sign Language) as a second language because I attend a school for deaf students, I can relate and have seen videos of people speaking ASL before. I've noticed that facial expressions and body language are a huge part of sign languages. A lot of people, when they sign, are so expressive with their facial expressions and body language. My signing classmates tend to exaggerate their facial expressions and I actually find this easier to understand than tone of voice. I have also been told that I need to work on my facial expressions but other than that, my signing is fine.

What I've found that helps me is watching someone pull a certain facial expression, asking what it means, noting it down and then trying to pull the same facial expression myself in the mirror. I also read manga and the facial expressions in manga and anime are very exaggerated, and in a way, that has helped me to understand certain facial expressions that I've found to be difficult to interpret.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2014, 11:42 pm

I have been learning ASL for a few years and I have gotten pretty good at it. I picked up the signs and grammer very easily and think my facial expressions are ok but not great. I've found I can understand facial expressions better in ASL than I can in English. This is probably because facial expressions in a spoken language are too subtle for me to pick up, but the exaggerated ones in ASL are easier for me to see and understand. I recognize enough of the facial expressions to understand the meaning of what is being said. However, in an ASL class I once took, I found, during a class discussion, that the other students picked up A LOT more from the facial expressions than I did.

Also I recently discovered that it is easier for me to sign than to verbalize when overloaded.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 12:11 am

I'd like to learn ASL because I find languages interesting, but I wouldn't have any practical use for it and probably wouldn't get far autodidactically. I wish there was media in sign languages. The facial expressions and eye contact would prevent me from ever actively using it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 1:52 am

I'm a qualified interpreter. Studying sign language has helped me understand a lot about body language and facial expression. It's much easier for me to sign than use spoken language. It's also acceptable to watch the lips of the other person instead of making direct eye contact.