Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Trikeman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2014, 3:13 pm

I am 75 years old and have no friends that I see socially. All the friends I have now are those I see at may volunter jobs. I would appreciate some advice.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 5:36 pm

Trikeman wrote:
I am 75 years old and have no friends that I see socially. All the friends I have now are those I see at may volunter jobs. I would appreciate some advice.

Invite the co-workers you talk to most in your volunteer work for a coffee at the nearest cafe after work. Offer to pay for their coffee and talk about anything.
Assume you're living alone but have neighbours around you. Slip a note under their front doors inviting them to a christmas snack at your place on a week day around the time people are getting home, but before dinner time. Go to the supermarket and buy biscuits and dip and make sure you have alcohol in the frig when people turn up.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 11:32 pm

I'm in the same spot... even online friends stop talking once we meet. I've heard people suggest meet ups, which people tend to make for hobbies, but people who've gone say it can be hard to see the same people regularly and start solid friendships. I'm about desperate enough to try.

Whether or not it's a good option depends on how much free time you have, I suppose. A lot of them seem to meet in the afternoons and evenings or on weekends.