Anyone else here with classic autism?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:20 am

I have what they basically call moderate functioning classic autism. I am very withdrawn, stim a lot, basically nonverbal in real life. I appear closer to severely autistic in my outward behavior. People ask me a lot of questions about my autism that I'm happy to answer. But I wish there was someone like me I could talk to on the forum. Some one I could ask questions about them and like compare notes or whatever.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 6:24 am

It seems like quite a few here would be able to say "yes, I did" but fewer people who can say "yes I do now".

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:20 am

KOR used to post more often around here but it's sporadic. You might like KOR's blog.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:06 am

I used to have classic autism when I was very young.

I could understand that you want to speak with others who have similar experiences with you.

There's somebody named Lumi (I believe), who considers himself to have "moderate" autism.

Whenever somebody has "other autism spectrum disorder" marked down as his/her "disorder," it's quite possible the person has classic autism.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:28 am

i have radical autism, not anything like those classical snobs and their stupid high culture, they think their so smart, pisses me off. Anyways, off to the skateboard park.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

He's just kidding.

People with classical autism tend to have the type of autism which Leo Kanner wrote about. Have you ever read him?

Some are nonverbal, some verbal. Some are very intelligent; others not so much.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:56 am

EzraS wrote:
I have what they basically call moderate functioning classic autism. I am very withdrawn, stim a lot, basically nonverbal in real life. I appear closer to severely autistic in my outward behavior. People ask me a lot of questions about my autism that I'm happy to answer. But I wish there was someone like me I could talk to on the forum. Some one I could ask questions about them and like compare notes or whatever.

You know. Your verbal and social skills may downright suck, I don't know. I've never meant you in person. But your writing skill are exceptionally good. especially in the comprehension level. Sometime I wish I had the writing skill that you have. A lot of people here on WP talk about how good your writing skills are.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 8:59 am

I would agree: your writing belies your self-assessment.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:30 am

I think you'd be surprised at the number of people here for whom passable to good writing skills "conceal" fairly autistic behaviors.

There goes that pet peeve again-- you can be pretty darn autistic and still write well. Writing can be "easier" than speaking.

Hell, I write and speak and I can "pass" for normal...

...and I spent ten minutes yesterday looking at the living room window, fondly remembering being a little girl, laying on my bed and licking the window, enjoying how smooth and cool it felt, wondering if my kids would flip out if I sat down in front of the window and started making like a puppy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:40 am

To be honest, I still feel like touching things all the time.

I have to fight the urge to push buttons and to open car doors when cars are in motion. I make sure the "child safety" thingee is operational.

I would purchase "BuyerBeware's" impressions any time!

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

i have classic autism too.

what buyerbeware said is vrry true. and i think some people forget that you can write fanytastically and still not be able to speak at all. ability to put ones thoughts together well in writing doesnt even necesarily improve everday communicaton. because writing is slower than talking and a lot of people wont accept written communciation as valid communication or if you dont talk or dont talk well people will assume your written communication wasnt written by you. or that bcecause you write well you must secretely be able to talk well. but its not true at all.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to have classic autism when I was very young.

I could understand that you want to speak with others who have similar experiences with you.

There's somebody named Lumi (I believe), who considers himself to have "moderate" autism.

Whenever somebody has "other autism spectrum disorder" marked down as his/her "disorder," it's quite possible the person has classic autism.

I agree, Ezra you are 14 and no one really knows what you'll be able to do as an adult.

And people would laugh at me now if I said I think I looked like how kids diagnosed with autism look when I was a child, but, well, I did. It's just not supposed to be possible to learn to function more than people expect. IMO, people trust what they see in the moment too much. And having something to contribute, which you do, is maybe more like important than passing for normal.

There's a lot of diversity here. I hope you find kindred spirits. Zombiegirl might understand some though she's I think more verbal. But we all are different.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2014, 10:23 am

I could probably avoid a diagnosis of even AS if I TRIED right now, however as a child I was totally severe autism until age 6.

My wife asks me all the time if I could please go back to my mask phase, where I had a fake persona I wore. But I can't. and I realize it isn't her fault.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

I am on the Aspergers Syndrome part of the spectrum and to be honest I find those who say they have classic Autism tend to have better writing skills then me my writing skills suck.

I remember EzraS had very low confidence until it was pointed out to him by a number of us here just how intelligent he comes across here.

I guess that is why the autism symbol is a puzzle piece.

I am going to be honest some people on the Aspergers part of the spectrum are in denial that they have Autism.

I along with many others accept I have Autism and I also accept that many people with classic Autism can do a lot of things better then me.

None of us got to pick and choose our symptoms and while I can understand the OPs desire to speak to people with a similar level of challenges I would just say I and I am sure many others are happy to help in anyway we can.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 1:07 pm

I have high functioning autism (I live in the UK so we still have Asperger's here but I am HFA). Although I am not really high functioning. I am only labelled high functioning because they say my very high IQ makes me fit that lablel, or at least that's what they say. I spend most of my time alone in my own world of science. I have severe sensory issues. I don't really connect with the outside world as I only really go out when someone is supporting me (unless it's a short trip like going to the newsagent). I make zero eye contact. Emotions are confusing to me. I get violent meltdowns frequently. And other stuff too. I only function at university with a full-time support worker and a free taxi service (I was nearly arrested last time I tried to go to uni by public transport).

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 1:32 pm

I also have high functioning autism and lots of difficulties. That's why I sometimes find it hard to understand 'Asperger pride' but hey that's because my theory of mind doesn't work! I have 10 hours support a day and can't go out alone. I don't have trouble talking any more but I used to. Your spelling is indeed fantastic, keep writing, it is your gift :)