Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:08 pm

I don't know if it's connected to autism or not... but I was curious.

I can be, but not for everything. I don't like the number 666 (which is why I had to post something asap). I also won't pick up pennies that are tails up either, even though I love pennies. D: Oh, and I HATE Friday the 13th. TT_TT I don't know why I'm like this either, but it does bother me sometimes. I always feel like I'll get bad luck if I don't follow certain things.

So, are you superstitious?

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

I don't believe in none of the cultural superstitious thing that we usually hear in Brazil (or those others like Friday 13 and 666 that you said), however i do have some things that once i notice (be it a coincidence or not) i can't get out of my head.
I remember once when i was a kid that i listened to a song in the morning and my day went totally wrong. Three days of that same week i heard the song again and on those same days i had extremely bad experiences, so i decided to never hear the song again xD

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2014, 5:59 pm

There's an old British superstition where seeing one magpie brings bad luck, and the only way to rid yourself of this bad luck is to salute the magpie.

There is a nursery rhyme for it too called "One for Sorrow". It goes like this:

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
never to be told.

I wouldn't call myself superstitious but I picked up the saluting response from my parents. I watched my parents salute lone magpies but didn't understand how seeing one magpie is supposed to bring bad luck.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:05 pm

I'm not really the superstitious type, but I can remember one time walking under a ladder and a tile fell off the roof of the house where the ladder was and missed me by about a meter.

I reckon that I was probably lucky on that occasion, but the cat on the other hand...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

Superstitious? Not I. No good-luck pieces, no personal rituals, and no reading of omens.

Not walking under ladders is nothing more than a common-sense act that is taught in safety-training lectures - there may be a reason that the ladder is there, such as someone taking a short break from fixing loose tiles on a roof ...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

I'm not the least bit superstitious that I know of.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 11:55 pm

I was superstitious when I was little. I used to avoid stepping on cracks. One time, my mum asked me why I kept stepping over cracks. I answered, "I don't want to break your back!" A girl that my mum babysat said if you step on a crack, you'll break your mum's back. I took that superstition literally.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 1:19 am

When I was young, literal-mindedness didn't helped and ended up breaking them all due to curiosity just to witness something absurd.
I'm not superstitious enough to fear it, but I'm being forced to follow it whenever someone's around me. Especially at funerals. And more so when I'm at more rural regions.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 1:48 am

I used to be very fascinated by Synchronicities. Kind of where things coincide in a weird parallel way.

These days, I'm very skeptical of most things, but I'm still curious about certain things; often thinking of how weird it is that we're even here or if there are other levels of reality behind what we perceive in daily life.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 11:12 am

I used to be quite superstitious but these days not much at all. Don't know why that changed - just did.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 9:26 pm

I'm superstitious in the sense that I enjoy daydreaming about metacosmological systems involving theories of causality which would literally be superstitions to some local nature-bound perspective.

Or to put it another way, I have room for superstitions in my worldview. But I don't subscribe to any common superstitious beliefs as far as I'm aware.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Aspergirl14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2014, 9:44 pm

I am a little. Mostly with numbers though, such as "triple 6" and unlucky thirteen, but I have certain numbers that I consider lucky or unlucky for no real reason, not sure why, I think I have a bit of an obsession with numbers :lol:

A couple of others such as not walking under a ladder, and seeing a magpie, or a black cat crossing my path are the only other ones I believe in now. I credit my superstitious nature to my mum, who was fairly superstitious when I was a child, though not so much now.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

I am with numbers a bit. Generally on even years worse things tend to happen (in my personal life) as opposed to odd years, which generally are better.

The thing is, I need things to be even. Like for a set amount of waffles, it needs to be cut so that it's all even. But at the same time, I dislike even years unless it ends with a 0. I have no logical way to explain this, it's been like this for a VERY long time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

I used to be as a young child. I thought that if I put my foot on the first tread of the stairs, the front door would pull itself off its hinges and come after me to kill me. If I touched any part of my body, then I had to touch the top of my head with the same hand within a few seconds, or I thought the part I'd touched would become diseased. At one point I thought that shaking my head or saying no would ward off back luck, while nodding or saying yes would invite trouble. These were completely my own ideas, and I never shared them. They held their grip on me because I had no proof that they weren't correct. Mostly I grew out of them, though to this day I can still feel very slightly uneasy if I touch a body part that I'm worried about.

I absorbed some of the folklore superstitions for a while - Santa, ghosts, the number 13, that kind of thing. I even had a strange dislike of all odd numbers, and a liking for the numbers 2, 4, 8, and 16, though I didn't associate them with luck. The school's scripture lessons had me believing the usual Christian beliefs. I looked into religion later, in the hope if finding out, and gradually came to the conclusion that the supernatural was pure fiction. My earlier programming still lingers very slightly - if I declare out loud that there is no god, I get a slight feeling that I could have jinxed myself. I also feel reluctant to walk under ladders.

Probably the oddest (and strongest) "superstition" I have is a feeling that complacency is very unlucky. I daren't crow about a victory in case it somehow gets taken away from me. I feel that I have to discuss risk in a very serious way, never dismissing it as ridiculously unlikely. Maybe it's from the biblical "pride cometh before a fall" thing, or maybe it's from all these movies and sitcoms where they so often portray people getting shaken out of their complacency for comic effect.

But consciously, I don't believe there are any supernatural beings or forces whatsoever. I think it's difficult to be human and have no trace of irrationality.