Oxytocin nasal spray - this could be for real

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2014, 4:31 pm

I read a while ago that direct administration of oxytocin could actually rescue social deficits in rats, even in adulthood.

So I recently purchased some Oxytocin nasal spray (the form used in studies), and today I took a dose, with a couple of herbs and a glass of beer....and it's phenomenal. It's the most sociable I've ever been in my entire life.

I would initiate conversations with people and continue them effortlessly, without any anxiety whatsoever. And there seemed to be positive feedback from my peers. And that's NEVER happened before.
What fascinated me the most is that my primary problem is ADHD, but today I forgot to take my medication (and usually when that happens the results are disastrous).

Have any of you guys tried this? Seriously

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

No, but weed has a similar effect on me.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:26 pm

agwood wrote:
I read a while ago that direct administration of oxytocin could actually rescue social deficits in rats, even in adulthood.

So I recently purchased some Oxytocin nasal spray (the form used in studies), and today I took a dose, with a couple of herbs and a glass of beer....and it's phenomenal. It's the most sociable I've ever been in my entire life.

I would initiate conversations with people and continue them effortlessly, without any anxiety whatsoever. And there seemed to be positive feedback from my peers. And that's NEVER happened before.
What fascinated me the most is that my primary problem is ADHD, but today I forgot to take my medication (and usually when that happens the results are disastrous).

Have any of you guys tried this? Seriously

Interesting,
but I have to ask, did you also get the feeling that you were a great dancer and that you could easily beat anyone around you in a fist-fight?

Those sort of things also happen when you ingest a substance that disables inhibitions.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

Oxytocin can be useful, but remember that, with human society, you will get the associated drama.

One worrying thing to me is that oxytocin is being marketed by some agencies as a panacaea, which it is not. It's pretty good stuff! It's amazing. However, it has limitations. Becoming knowledgeable about those limitations is important.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

How much was the spray?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 9:09 pm

Where did you buy the spray?

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2014, 9:12 pm

olympiadis wrote:
but I have to ask, did you also get the feeling that you were a great dancer and that you could easily beat anyone around you in a fist-fight?

Those sort of things also happen when you ingest a substance that disables inhibitions.
Oxytocin doesn't really work that way. What it does is enhance your sense of in-group self-identification, so you are more likely to have a strong sense of identity with classmates, acquaintances, and so forth.

The problem is that, with those social bonds, you also get the emotional baggage and drama that goes with it, so you end up with phenomena like that described here:

http://gillab.ku.edu/articles/SPPS516876_1.pdf

That doesn't mean that oxytocin is bad, but what it means is that you have to be conscious of the fact that oxytocin is going to have a set of effects that could have positive or negative outcomes. Your good judgment and moral integrity still play a huge role in your day-to-day socializing. This stuff will just change the tone and rhythm subtly, hopefully in a way that helps you.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 10:52 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

Oxytocin doesn't really work that way. What it does is enhance your sense of in-group self-identification, so you are more likely to have a strong sense of identity with classmates, acquaintances, and so forth.

The problem is that, with those social bonds, you also get the emotional baggage and drama that goes with it, so you end up with phenomena like that described here:

http://gillab.ku.edu/articles/SPPS516876_1.pdf

That doesn't mean that oxytocin is bad, but what it means is that you have to be conscious of the fact that oxytocin is going to have a set of effects that could have positive or negative outcomes. Your good judgment and moral integrity still play a huge role in your day-to-day socializing. This stuff will just change the tone and rhythm subtly, hopefully in a way that helps you.

Thanks, I didn't know this. I will look more into it.
hmmm, an identity booster.
You think the governments have been putting this stuff into our water supply?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 11:08 pm

I had not ran across this before.
I think this is very significant.

Quote:
"Oxytocin has also been implicated in the etiology of autism, with one report suggesting autism is correlated with genomic deletion of the gene containing the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR). Studies involving Caucasian and Finnish samples and Chinese Han families provide support for the relationship of OXTR with autism.[33][35] Autism may also be associated with an aberrant methylation of OXTR.[33] After treatment with inhaled oxytocin, autistic patients exhibit more appropriate social behavior."

"Some researchers have argued oxytocin has a general enhancing effect on all social emotions, since intranasal administration of oxytocin also increases envy and Schadenfreude."

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2014, 7:38 pm

To explain schadenfreude, it means pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. Yes, oxytocin is related to this. Consider this: sometimes, you will hear a person say, "I just can't wait to see that jerk get what's coming to him!" or someone hearing of another person's misfortune and shouting, "SERVES HIM RIGHT!" that's oxytocin at work.

It's also been implicated in racism. It's odd, but I never noticed black people being black at all before I started improving my social skills, and this is in spite of racial tensions being so bad in the place where I grew up that, although I was bullied in general, the only people who ever physically attacked me and injured me were black guys. I never attributed it to them being black or even really cared much that they were. Now I would not say that I am racist. However, I have to remind myself more often, when I see a black person, that the skin color is mostly superficial. It's a weird and unsettling experience for someone who, in the past, never observed these things. I used to be terribly preachy and judgmental on this issue, but I have more empathy now for those who never had the distance and perspective that I grew up with. I still see bigots as misguided, but I can no longer condemn them as "just bad" as I once did.

But yeah, as I said, oxytocin is a potentially double-edged sword. If you choose to use it, just never forget that there is no replacement for wise judgment and morality. You must not forget that with friends come enemies, and you must learn how to manage these complex emotions. It's not a toy.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 12:29 am

Persimmonpudding wrote:
To explain schadenfreude, it means pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. Yes, oxytocin is related to this. Consider this: sometimes, you will hear a person say, "I just can't wait to see that jerk get what's coming to him!" or someone hearing of another person's misfortune and shouting, "SERVES HIM RIGHT!" that's oxytocin at work.

Could many aspie symptoms be due to lack of Oxytocin, or inability to utilize it properly?
I posted here a couple of months ago about not being able to experience shadenfreude. I first noticed that as a young child because I saw other kids experiencing it and tried it myself.

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:

It's also been implicated in racism. It's odd, but I never noticed black people being black at all before I started improving my social skills, and this is in spite of racial tensions being so bad in the place where I grew up that, although I was bullied in general, the only people who ever physically attacked me and injured me were black guys. I never attributed it to them being black or even really cared much that they were. Now I would not say that I am racist. However, I have to remind myself more often, when I see a black person, that the skin color is mostly superficial. It's a weird and unsettling experience for someone who, in the past, never observed these things. I used to be terribly preachy and judgmental on this issue, but I have more empathy now for those who never had the distance and perspective that I grew up with. I still see bigots as misguided, but I can no longer condemn them as "just bad" as I once did.

But yeah, as I said, oxytocin is a potentially double-edged sword. If you choose to use it, just never forget that there is no replacement for wise judgment and morality. You must not forget that with friends come enemies, and you must learn how to manage these complex emotions. It's not a toy.

You sound like you have used it personally. Can you post a more detailed explanation of the effects of the drug? How long have you used it? How does it make you feel everyday? Are it's effects transient or are they long term?