Have you ever heard of an infant whistling?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:31 am

Ok, I think I have just about used up all my "new post" coupons for the evening, so I shall retire soon, however, have you ever heard of an infant whistling?

One of the most bizarre things I remember about my son, (Now being diagnosed Aspie) as an infant, was his being able to whistle at 3-4 months of age. This is an ability that he maintained all his life, and still whistles very well to this day.

He was 3/4 months old, and my mother would whistle to him all the time. Then, one day, he whistled back! He figured out that he was in direct control of this sound, and from then on, off he went!

I remember him whistling to himself at 3/4 months old. He would whistle in response to others whistling. (my mom would play games with him in the car while she was driving).

I KNOW he was this age, because I remember him DOING it at a residence we moved from when he was 4 months old, and unlike other memories of mine, my sister and mother can validate it with their own identical memories.

We found it weird and facinating, and maybe even a little creepy!

It seems striking to me that he would be able to "learn" this. As an infant, he also did a lot of cooing and babbling. He hit all the "normal" verbal cues right up to about a year of age. Then it started to drop off. Slowly, he fell to the lower end of the "normal" language development charts, just scraping by on aquiring skills at the end of the "normal" range. By 5 years of age, he had a bursting vocab, but poor oral communication.

The only language skill he did not develop in the normal range, was pointing or gesturing, in stories, or following fingers to objects etc. He was really delayed with this. Also, he often would not respond to his name, right up to 10 years of age. (maybe these are social skills?)

Anyway, I degress, (as I often do) I was just wondering, has anyone heard of a small infant whistling before?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:35 am

I didn't know that kids that young can whistle!

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:57 am

That's rare and uncommon

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 6:19 am

Starbuline wrote:
I didn't know that kids that young can whistle!

I still can't. Only can chirp.