Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 7:29 am

So you never dated?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 8:10 am

This is part of an answer I gave in another thread that is actually more relevant to this thread then that one.

I felt similar to a lot of males here as I entered my 20's, very discouraged that everybody seemed to be having these increadible experiences that I wanted and were to flawed to get. But somehow during the next few years during the 1980's, a few decades before me or anybody else knew what autism really was, and that I was autistic I had a gradual realization. I thought to myself that people all the time accept that some people will not be good athletes, or good at math and thus do not need to bother doing these things, why is there this huge huge stigma against people like me who are not good at sex and relationships? Why should this be true when I saw and continue to see so many people that are miserable often because they just they are just not good at it, but felt they had to engage due the constant messages sent by society? Getting upset about something that does not fit a pattern, very autistic of me :D . So I eventually I'm accepted this about myself. I made a conscious decision that if somebody expressed interest in me and I liked them I would try it but I would make no effort myself, and instead spend time on my work which was going well at that time and my special interests. I was quite content. Like with any decision there are good sides and bad sides. If you do not experienced what 98 percent of the people experience it puts you at a big disadvantage. As a employment recruiter once told me job hunting is just like like dating so if you have not done this the disadvantage is quite real. I still think in the end there have been more upsides then downsides for me ,but there is no way to know for sure as there is no way to go back to the 1980's decide to persue relationships see how it goes and then compare the two alternate versions of my life.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 8:28 am

Meh, just give up on dating and socializing, they are not worth the effort.