Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm

This upcoming Tuesday I will be starting the spring semester at a local college I've noticed that I don't have the same instructor that I did last semester which bugs me, Because my old instructor knew what I have Autism and a learning difficulty in math (she e-mailed the classed a week be for classes started and I was able to tell her about what I have and some of my difficulties) She was able to work somewhat on my level which really helped. I am really nervous because I know have two new instructors whom don't know anything about me and I have no way of reaching out to them before classes start to inform them. According to the special population director my accommodation(s) are still valid for this semester but still I'd like to give the new instructors a heads up Because I don't want to end up feeling like a yutz if the new instructor calls on me to answer something and I don't know or have the right answer for a "simple question"

Can anybody gimme some sort of advice so I don't get my self too worked up over this?

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2015, 6:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can either email your teacher(s) Monday or tell them on Tuesday, right? After class, you can discuss what accommodations you'll need. Most teachers only go over the syllabus or do introductory games for the first class anyway, so don't worry.

And I don't know if all schools do this, but mine has a list of all faculty/teachers and includes their email address, office address, etc... you may want to check if yours has something similar so you can email them before class. If you can't find one online, you might be able to call the school and get a list. That might save you trouble for future semesters.

Oh, and good luck :)
I'm jealous that you guys start so late!

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

Jezebel wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can either email your teacher(s) Monday or tell them on Tuesday, right? After class, you can discuss what accommodations you'll need. Most teachers only go over the syllabus or do introductory games for the first class anyway, so don't worry.

And I don't know if all schools do this, but mine has a list of all faculty/teachers and includes their email address, office address, etc... you may want to check if yours has something similar so you can email them before class. If you can't find one online, you might be able to call the school and get a list. That might save you trouble for future semesters.

Oh, and good luck :)
I'm jealous that you guys start so late!

Thanks,

I know last semester the only thing we've done was the introduction where each of us stood up and said our names and what we hope to accomplish (which I was really uncomfortable doing).

I checked and I'm not seeing any e-mails for my teachers and the special populations director doesn't have access to the instructors I would go in person the day before however the college is closed for the MLK holiday. I asked the Adult Ed dept if I could perhaps be placed in the class that my teacher from last semester maybe in they kinda barked back NO! We're not many any changes to your classes then they quickly followed up by saying we don't even know what classes/level she is teaching. So I dunno what else I can do.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 2:11 pm

well today I started classes (after waking up in a panic at 2:30am) needless to say math wasn't an issue this go around due to the fact the instructor did a few drills on addition & subtraction (in the hundreds/thousands) needless to say I got 99% of them wrong with the only one I got wrong was due to my own error. However the reading class was a different story I froze up in class my brain waved a distress flag and I nearly broke down just overwhelmed by everything being thrown at me and not having a clear enough direction so I did a 1:1 with the new teacher explained to her about what I had and how her directions with me needs to be clear to the point and if she wanted me to switch from one subject to another she would need to let me know in advance. I also told her I had an issue with transcribing stuff from a text book processing it and then writing back blank paper So she will furnish copies of the text book so that I can write on the paper and chose the best answer.

I'm starting to feel that college may not happen or the Job I'm working so hard to get to wont happen because of the difficulties I am having now. I'm almost at the point now if I am having such a hell of a time with "simple" stuff why even bother with the other stuff :-/

Is there anybody that has experienced what I am going through any words of advice.... anything?

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

Don't Give Up.

You may feel like this is small stuff, but as the parent of an apsie I can tell you that the fact that you actually talked to your teacher is a HUGE deal.

Be patient with yourself.

The skills you are learning right now to deal with the 'small' stuff are the same skills you will use later to deal with larger issues.

Good Luck and God Bless

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

Hey Buddy,

Don't give up! Those quizzes don't count, anyway. Just study hard, and go according to what's said in the syllabus. What are your classes this semester?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 7:59 pm

You've got plenty of time to make contact with your teachers. Early days yet. Beginning of semester is disorienting for everyone, especially autistics. Just try to keep an even keel and wait for a opportune moment to have a word with them.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys! As excited as I am about going back to classes I also dread going to classes because if there's something that I can not pick up on or comprehend of this brain of mine ends up waving a distress flag and I have to fight like hell with it in order not to become overwhelmed that on top of the bright lights of the class room it's over stimulating...It really take a lot outta me when I come home I don't even catch up on the news I make a mad dash to the darkest room in the house to decompress.

kraftiekortie, Math I've actually moved up a grade and over the winter hiatus I actually learned more times tables just kinda came on randomly I'm also in Writing I have to come up with a main idea for a topic find three supporting ideas and come up with a conclusion and stretch it out to 3-7 sentences to make an essay on the topic however the problem is I can't picture what I'm suppose to write the topics are of no interest to me so it's really hard for me to be engaged in the topic I dunno if it's an Autism thing or a boredom thing.