Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 6:30 pm

I mean literally, not metaphorically, do you have thin skin? Does your skin shred and tear at the least little abrasion? Do your hands dry out and crack badly in cold weather?

I get little cracks and cuts all over my fingers in winter. Some days they are so sore I can't stand to touch anything.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 6:33 pm

The backs of my hands get dry, cracked and itchy in winter. I put a hand cream on and that helps.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm

dianthus wrote:
I mean literally, not metaphorically, do you have thin skin? Does your skin shred and tear at the least little abrasion? Do your hands dry out and crack badly in cold weather?

I get little cracks and cuts all over my fingers in winter. Some days they are so sore I can't stand to touch anything.

This was happening to me every winter (little cracks and cuts), until a gardener recommended that I try Aveeno 24 hour hand cream. Its been more effective than other glycerin based hand creams.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 7:17 pm

I have pretty thick skin--but it tends to dry up and itch at least moderately--especially in winter, and especially as I get older.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

I have a big sensory issue with exposing my skin to the cold, can't even walk past the freezer food in the supermarket without feeling bad, so I habitually protect my skin from the cold, and therefore don't get any "real" problems from the cold, except for this:
I get very itchy skin in winter at times, usually the calves of my legs but it can strike anywhere. Scratching, which is hard to avoid, just makes it worse and gives me a visible rash into the bargain. Effective remedies are scrubbing the skin with a reasonably stiff brush, applying moisturising cream, and if they don't work, lots of Deep Heat cream as my doomsday option. That always works, and I don't mind the eucalyptus smell, though I have been criticised for subjecting others to it. I can't believe the torment they experience is as horrible as the torment I experience with untreated itchy skin though. I think I could tolerate moderate pain better than itching.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 11:30 pm

dianthus wrote:

Yeah, and my mother's is even more so.

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2015, 11:50 pm

ha I was so confused by just reading the title on whether it was literal or not.

Yes! Paper-thin. I have to used unscented, heavy lotions.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:02 am

I'd say so. I get cuts on my hands really easily, and I've never been able to develop calluses on them to toughen them up. :(

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 4:04 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd say so. I get cuts on my hands really easily, and I've never been able to develop calluses on them to toughen them up. :(

Same here. I guess it's a good thing I never had my heart set on playing any kind of stringed instrument. Putting my finger on a guitar string hurts like a b***h.

Whenever I open mail or cardboard boxes I get little cuts on my fingers. Plus it just wicks the moisture right out of my hands. Right now I don't even want to touch anything made of paper.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

My hands rarely get cut or dry - simply because I feel it is coming so I prevent it before it can happen. As soon as I feel cold I hide my hands in pockets or gloves. As soon as I feel something sharp under my fingers I let go of the thing. As soon as my hands start feeling dry I use some hand lotion.

I am so good with controlling my hands that my hands rarely get dirty or hurt although I touch everything anywhere I go (I am a sensory seeker).

I first realized it when I was a kid and I was climbing some clay cliff with my cousin. She ended up with totally brown hands which didn't get off despite washing yet my hands were normal color, with just a little dust on them which I easily flicked off by clapping. We were both surprised.

So while my skin is thin I instinctively know what to do to prevent any damage to it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

05 Feb 2015, 11:32 pm

I had really BAD Atopic Dermatitis as a kid which is a form of skin eczema & I also have skin allergies which causes my skin to dry out & itch & my scratching makes it worse. My skin started getting bad this winter for abit. I used a prescription cream to clear it up. I also started taking Prednisone which may be helping to stop the itching so I'm not scratching even thou my skin is dry it's not bothering me. I'll stay on the Prednisone till the weather warms up abit & we're not running the heater much.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 11:37 pm

I'm not thin skinned in either way, but I do get very dry skin in the winter when I have to use the heat. It doesn't tear or anything easily. My mother's did but it was because she was on blood thinners.

What I do for my dry skin is when I get out of the tub, before I dry off I put baby oil in my hand and rub downward over myself to put the oil on and wipe the water off. Then I towel off. When my feet, lower legs, and hands get really dry I put vaseline on before bed in a thick coat and cover it with either thick cotton white socks or thick white cotton gloves. In the morning it's absorbed and I have soft skin.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:35 am

Everything is relative. I thought my skin is delicate but apparently it isn't, especially after I got to know many Caucasians. They're always slathering lotion and cream on their skin, wear gloves to do anything and complain about cracks, eczema or dandruff. 8O My skin is completely normal looking and feeling, with small tight pores and I rarely use any lotion (which is lucky as I hate greasy stuff on my hands). So I guess if I don't have thick skin, I at least have medium skin.

If you're of Northern European descent, your skin is probably thinner and drier than most people's. I don't think it's an aspie thing.

Oh ya I used to get dry itchy legs in winter. I thought that was genetic as my dad, grandma and my sons had that, too. And we all tend to get itchy at the same time. However since I changed my diet to have more fat, my legs haven't been itchy for the last 5 years, dry winter or not, my sons don't get that any more either, obviously they eat with me. Butter and bacon are the secret to soft, glowy skin. :D

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:51 am

No I don't get cuts very easily so I think my skin is thick, it doesn't get dry in winter too, it doesn't have cracks too. My skin is soft, there were times when people touched my hands and they told me it was so soft which suprised them.