did you ever find something in the street?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:35 pm

weeks ago, i found a pair of slippers someone threw out. now, in my neighborhood, many people throw clothes in a pile on the sidewalk for poor people to take. i work for minimum wage, so i guess i qualify. i never take anything, just this once i saw how soft and sensory the slippers were, and there was only one ant crawling inside.

another time, my neighbors upstairs left a lovely cats toy, it's like a stick standing up with a thread and a toy mouse tied to its end. my cats love it and rub against it constantly and play with it. they stand on tow, and it's the cutest thing to watch them.

just to clarify, i didnt steal the toy. the neighbors left it in the yard, and i waited all day long for them to take it, and they didnt. i guess their cat died, and i feel sorry for them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm

I found $10 once. I also found my glasses which I thought I lost...after a bunch of snow had melted.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 1:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I found $10 once. I also found my glasses which I thought I lost...after a bunch of snow had melted.

oh, dear

I'm in the wrong section. thought this was random discussion. oops, sorry. my mistake.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 2:10 pm

I've found money before, and once I found a sack of weed that somebody apparantly threw out of the car - I don't smoke weed but I picked it up and gave it to somebody who does smoke weed lol. I've found single earrings a lot of times, and I once found a leather jacket at a park me and my friends hung out at - it was there the whole night and when I left to go home at dawn, I took it with me, I had already called it if nobody came back for it.

If you mean have I found things that people have put out for trash like that, yeah I have. Car batteries and once a bike. I'm on Freecycle too and folks put things out like that for the trash all the time but post on Freecycle to let others know it's there if they want to come get it. Where I live, we have to pay $10 and call the city to come get anything other than the trash that's in the can, and when I put something out by the curb it's fair game.

I think that if something is put out by the curb like that, it's fair game so it's not stealing. If you have any doubts as to whether or not it's garbage, just go to the door and ask. Where my mother lived, when people would get new furniture they would put the old stuff by the dumpster and if anybody wanted it, they could have it. I got a lamp that way once. It was frosted glass with patterns. My daughter painted it and it looks like a Tiffany now. :-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:19 pm

I've found money lots of times (not large amounts, $5 notes and once a $20). Best thing I ever found was a small figurine of a white leopard - it was special because I was walking home alone at 3am in the morning feeling tired, sad and sorry for myself and then I saw it in the gutter - I had chosen the white leopard as a "totem animal" a few months before. I picked it up and smiled and laughed and went home with an uplifted heart :)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

Here it's not uncommon for people to dump big stuff such as dirty mattress, old TV, old washing machine, old furniture etc in the front yard when they move out of a house. It's illegal but because they no longer live there, they don't care. Someone else will have to deal with the mess. Sometimes some other people may take something from there if they think they can make use of it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

Just the other day I just found a large bag of used pieces of carpet in the street. I'm not insane. I'm hoping to put them on my garden to kill the weeds. It's a trick I learned from some organic gardeners. I already covered half my garden with large black plastic bags, and that worked, but it was hard work securing them in place (the wind tends to rip them apart otherwise, as they're so flimsy), so I'm hoping this will be an easier job.

I've also found money, laminated chipboard, a nice red scarf, a long-abandoned bicycle (from which I took some parts to fix my own bike), and a few music speakers. When I was a boy I found a broken old radio, so I got some pliers and took all the components I could remove. People round here often leave unwanted stuff outside their homes. A scrap merchant takes most of it, but sometimes I get there first.

Quote:
oh, dear

I'm in the wrong section. thought this was random discussion. oops, sorry. my mistake.

Don't worry. They usually move wrongly-located topics to the appropriate section pretty quickly.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:48 pm

$20 in front of a Media Play store right before midnight for the release of one of the Harry Potter DVDs. I waited at the spot for about 15-20 minutes in case anyone returned and appeared to be searching for something lost. No one showed.

I didn't use to care too much about finding valuables until once, as a house manager for our local symphony hall, I found what appeared to be a young girl's wallet (bright-red plastic with nothing but $11 in it). I turned it into our security officers who managed the lost and found. A few days later, they said it had be claimed by an older disabled woman. She had attended a performance and dropped her wallet. She was glad we found and returned it.

It always makes me cringe when I hear of people who can least afford such losses experiencing the kind of distress that even a small loss might cause them.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 10:01 pm

Yes, I have found random money just walking around the area. Most of the time it is small change, but I have found some decent amounts over the years. My record is $350 in wadded up bills at a local spot that teenagers use to party at. It was probably someone's alcohol money that they dropped after getting either too drunk or busted by the police the night before. Needless to say, it was a good day.

If I find a wallet or purse, I will try to return it if I can. But, if there is no way to identify who owns it, it goes to the police. Then the waiting game to see if someone claimed it or not. I have gotten a few wallets that way (no real cash in them, but they were nice wallets)...

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm

I once found $20 when I was lost and penniless in a foreign city. It puts me in mind of something my aunt says a lot, "the universe provides".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 10:47 pm

I found an Irish coin, like before the EU currency if that is what they use now there...and also somewhat recently me, my brother and a couple other people found five dollars in a street drain thing, we tried getting it out with a stick but couldn't get it out so one of them came up with the idea to stick the gum they where chewing on the stick to get it which worked and so we got a pizza since there's 5.00 pizzas at the 7-11 convenience stores and we were close to one.

I also found some marijuana I lost because I accidentally left my bag unzipped and the wind was blowing...the next day I found it across the street from where I think it probably fell out stuck to a fence as I had it in a zipblock bag in a grocery bag I did not really think I would find it but that was cool.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm

I've found money before.

On a bus stop bench last summer, I found a bracelet - looked like blue and white topaz, but I'm pretty sure they're cubic zirconias. Fits my left wrist perfectly. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 11:22 pm

My son and his friend found a wallet with several hundred bucks in it on the sidewalk at the other side of the parking lot of the Arab store. It didn't turn out so well. His friend took some of the money. Dude threatened to kick my son's ass even though my son didn't take anything and was the one to turn it in. He said it made him rethink the whole idea of turning anything in like that. It's a small town so the guy in the store knew who my son was and told the guy who turned it in.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 12:45 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
My son and his friend found a wallet with several hundred bucks in it on the sidewalk at the other side of the parking lot of the Arab store. It didn't turn out so well. His friend took some of the money. Dude threatened to kick my son's ass even though my son didn't take anything and was the one to turn it in. He said it made him rethink the whole idea of turning anything in like that. It's a small town so the guy in the store knew who my son was and told the guy who turned it in.

Do you mean the dude was your son's "friend," and didn't want to get arrested for theft if the wallet was turned in and it became known that he'd taken some of the cash?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 12:56 am

When I was a kid, I was always picking up anything shiny, metallic or had an interesting shape, interesting rocks and stones. I kept my collection in my marble bag.

A digital watch (back in the day when they first came on the market).

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2015, 1:34 am

I found a mustache last week, I've never had a mustache and now I do!