Diagnosing stuff only if it's convienient

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 2:15 pm

I will admit I have mental health problems that are more serious than possible asperger's, but basically summed up with a direct quote from a psychiatrist I saw for a while: "That diagnosis would not change your treatment plan."

Many therapists and even doctors have stated that I have asperger's, but when a group of therapists diagnosed me... my caseworker said their diagnosis was invalid and that I don't have that.

On the other hand, so that I can have DBT therapy... they diagnose me with Borderline Personality! Nobody in the past ever said anything like that!

It seems that they are putting labels on people for there benefit and don't care if someone just wants to really know what's wrong with them!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

Welcome to the twisted and broken mental health system...that kind of thing really is not uncommon, unfortunately. The mental health professionals who genuinely do care about what they are doing and really want to help people sometimes have to jump through weird hoops to get clients/patients the treatment they need. The ones that don't care so much for peopels well-being slap labels on or might even decide someone with a certain disorder has nothing valid to say...which I imagine is infuriating. Its also kind of lazy on their part....easier to classify everything as a 'symptom' of that diagnoses when maybe its not the case. But yeah mental health services/treatment is kind of lacking at best and it really is a broken system.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2015, 2:33 pm

I'm ASD, never been diagnosed BPD, and I've had DBT.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:24 pm

I've been told that where I live dbt needs a diagnosis of borderline, anyway I got the diagnosis when I started therapy.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020