Can you destroy/erase medical record of autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2015, 11:48 am

I would like to have my diagnosis of autism removed so that I could be gauranteed freedom in things like sexual repreoduction rights. I want to have the same rights as an NT. Can my diagnosis be destroyed? I have been diagnosed under DSIV. Would a DSIV diagnosis count today in legal issues.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm

You already have the same rights as an NT. Whether or not a potential partner grants you the priviledge of having sex with him or her is another matter entirely.

You can ask to have your records destroyed, but whether or not the people or institution that retains your records complies with your request is up to them. But then you could always request a judge to order the documents destroyed; in which case, there would be a legal record of your request ... which can only be sealed, not erased.

Good luck!

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

When were you diagnosed? Did you ever have an IEP? Does someone have guardianship or power of attorney over you now?

People with Autism can have children, it is when the State finds you are not appropriately caring for the child is when they step in. And that goes for non Aspies too.

If you married and are getting a divorce, yes your Autism will be brought up, but that happens with mental illness, substance abuse....whatever.

If you had an IEP, that is a federal jurisdiction. I don't believe those can be destroyed, so you have that paper trial.

You can choose not to disclose, but how good are you passing as an NT?

You can believe the diagnosis is wrong. You can drop all supports and go it alone. Short of you being under someone's control, you can get birth control and have children.

You can't erase history. Do you believe you are autistic and don't want the label or you always felt the diagnosis was wrong?

Your question is vague.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

I want to erase my AS record off my medical records too. I keep worrying that sometime in the future they might decide to throw Autistic people in concentration camps, and I really cannot bear all that pain and suffering, it makes me feel sick now just thinking of it. So if I wipe my AS off my medical records then they will never find me, and I can live a free normal life like all my NT friends and family.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

Does it really matter? Whatever you have isn't going anywhere.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

The last thing I would want would be to have autism erased from my medical records. Do you know how difficult it is to get a diagnosis, or to re-affirm an old diagnosis that you lost the paperwork for? It's something I want all the medical professionals who treat me to know about, as well as government officials and potential employers. People may think I'm nuts, but it's something you've gotta know if you want to work with me. If someone can't handle that part of me, don't even bother I say.

Anyway, the future may look grim, but we're not quite living in 1984 just yet. You're not banned from having sex or reproducing just because you're autistic. You may not be able to donate sperm, but that's about the extent of it, and here, donating sperm is pointless since they're not even allowed to pay you.

Now, whether or not a potential partner wants to have sex with you really depends on how you act. If they know you're autistic, they most likely won't care, unless they're trying for a child. Even so, if you seem like a decent person and you're trying to have a kid with someone, more often than not, they still probably won't care if you're autistic.

It's easy enough for someone to lose the paperwork with their diagnosis, but seriously, don't do it. It's not at all worth it. If you're really insistent on losing it, people will still treat you the same for the most part if they can tell you're not NT. Losing your diagnosis won't change how random people without access to that information will perceive you.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 2:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I want to erase my AS record off my medical records too. I keep worrying that sometime in the future they might decide to throw Autistic people in concentration camps, and I really cannot bear all that pain and suffering, it makes me feel sick now just thinking of it. So if I wipe my AS off my medical records then they will never find me, and I can live a free normal life like all my NT friends and family.

You know what I totally understand. Not to long ago I was worried about the same thing. There could be a time when that happens; the government has a massive amount of control.

I was worried in case they would say I'm not competent to be able to live my life even though I am and lock me up.

:(

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:21 pm

I wouldn't want mine erased because it's there to help me in my adulthood for things like employment and social security. I have tried living the normal way too without relying on services and the government. I even went on unemployment when I got laid off from full time rather than collecting money from Social Security.

I am not going to join any army so I don't really care about the diagnoses. But hey if we ever start getting drafted again, at least they won't draft me and I won't have to worry about losing my life. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:39 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wouldn't want mine erased because it's there to help me in my adulthood for things like employment and social security. I have tried living the normal way too without relying on services and the government. I even went on unemployment when I got laid off from full time rather than collecting money from Social Security.

I am not going to join any army so I don't really care about the diagnoses. But hey if we ever start getting drafted again, at least they won't draft me and I won't have to worry about losing my life. :wink:

This. I would be lost right now if it weren't for my diagnosis. As far as being drafted goes, even though I would probably hate military life, I wouldn't mind the idea of risking my life and serving my country. Plus, I imagine learning how to use various military hardware would be quite interesting, and at times even fun.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 6:48 am

I don't know where you live.

In the USA, your medical records (for now) are not part of a public record. While technically they could be found (if insurance paid for the Dx or someone did a subpoena for your medical records in a civil/criminal proceeding), normally, if you tell a doctor to keep your record private and REVOKE IN WRITING any permission to release the records to other parties absent your written consent, that does a lot to make them private again.

Otherwise, not just anyone can find out about a prior Dx for Autism without your consent.

Also, most doctors only retain patient records for X years. They may not be able to destroy your file before that time, but after so much time, they may automatically destroy their copy if you are no longer an active patient. I only know this because often past medical records are irretrievable because of time passing and medical practices purging old files.