Anyone use to jump off swings as a child/teenager?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yingyyanging
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

Did you use to see who could jump the furthest?

Tesla1856
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

I sure did. Oh, how I remember the in-flight terror of landing too far away! It never went wrong though.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:52 pm

Oh absolutely! This was probably my favorite recess activity!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:54 pm

No, I was too scared to jump off swings. But I loved swinging slowly and closing my eyes and pretending I was high up in the clouds.

yingyyanging
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2015, 2:05 pm

It can be scary :)

Did you throw your hands up while in the air, like you're going 'Yeahhh'? Or just concentrate on jumping?

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:36 pm

I didn't. I just tried to swing as high as possible, I still do that if I happen to be near swings which isn't often.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

Seems like I spent half my childhood in a swing. I wasn't so much interested in jumping out (though I'm sure I did from time to time, like when the teacher called us in from recess), I actually loved the sort of weightless feeling and the hypnotic sensation of the rocking motion. I especially liked the sudden drop-sensation rush that came when you got as high as possible, paused mid-air for a half-second, then plunged back down again. Good times. :mrgreen:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:57 pm

I was not jumping to see "who jumps furthest" since I rarely had anyone to compare to. But I loved jumping off swings just for the feeling of being in the air. I was swinging just to get high enough and jump. Then stop the swing and repeat.

I also loved jumping off balcony, low roofs, big stones, stairs etc. And using the willow tree like Tarzan would. :lol:

EdWood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2015, 1:02 am

My favorite activity was getting as high as I could on the swing and when I was near the ground I would take off running and see how long it would for me to fall.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 1:10 am

Yes, I loved all aspects of swinging when I was a kid and still now.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 1:16 am

NO!! I was more like Oskar:

- Albert Einstein

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2015, 5:34 am

Not unless getting scared and jumping off because you were pushed too high counts.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 7:39 am

r2d2 wrote:
NO!! I was more like Oskar:

Haha. I was scared of the moving chains and their sound too. That's why I didn't like swinging for swinging. While swinging I was always staring at the connections to make sure I see when they are about to break because they were making sounds like it can happen any time. But I still loved jumping off so I was fighting my fear and going on the swings over and over anyway.

I was never letting fear overwhelm me as a kid. I understood fear as "Pay attention because it might become dangerous", not "It is dangerous so avoid it at all cost". I trusted my abilities to deal with actual danger if it shows up. My caregivers called it "no sense of danger" because I was often doing dangerous things. But it was different. I knew it can be dangerous but I trusted my ability to see and prevent an actual danger in time if it really shows up.

Last edited by Kiriae on 30 Mar 2015, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 7:42 am

That would have been cool...if I could have just jumped off the swings--but I was afraid of heights.

Until I was about 10 years old (1971), playgrounds didn't have rubber cushions surrounding the swings, slide, monkey bars, etc. I would have fallen onto concrete!

I was even fearful of going on the monkey bars.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2015, 7:49 am

Pretty sure like 99% of kids jump out of swings.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 7:57 am

That brings back memories. :lol: I was all about velocity, because further was better.