An insatiable and relentless feeling of utter boredom.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

21 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

I can't feel any joy or excitement. Only emptiness. No sense of despair or sadness.. Anger.. Nothing. Only insatiable boredom and disinterest - and maybe some times the usual discomfort that comes with autism. But that is all I "feel". Just boredom and discomfort.

Every day, I sit in the classroom, sit at home, walk amongst a plethora of people in a busy public place and feel nothing but absolute boredom. Watch television, nothing but boredom, surf the Internet, again nothing but boredom.. Go outside, still bored. :skull:

Has anyone else experienced this kind of boredom?

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:24 pm

This sounds familiar. It may be connected with depression. How long have you been feeling like this?

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2015, 3:53 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
This sounds familiar. It may be connected with depression. How long have you been feeling like this?

I have felt like this for about 3 years now, if not longer. The majority of my teenage years have been spent being bored tbh. :lol:

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:56 pm

Maybe you should talk to your doctor or a psychotherapist. Three years is a long time to be feeling so utterly bored.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2015, 4:01 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
Maybe you should talk to your doctor or a psychotherapist. Three years is a long time to be feeling so utterly bored.

I guess so. Maybe I have been depressed all of this time, I was just in denial and tried to normalize this boredom.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 4:02 pm

That sounds a bit like me when I was I the midst of a depression episode. Wellbutrin helped, though there are many other medication options as well.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 4:10 pm

Anhedonia by the sound of it. Yes I've experienced that, though I don't know if it was as strong as it seems in your case. Only cure I can think of is to find something to do that presents the right level of challenge - not impossibly hard, but hard enough to really give the brain a workout, with a good element of reasonable risk. Preferably something with a goal that will be of real value. I think a person needs a purpose, or they languish and get fed up with life. It probably won't make you happy until you've really started to get your teeth into it.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2015, 2:15 am

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:

I guess so. Maybe I have been depressed all of this time, I was just in denial and tried to normalize this boredom.

If depression is your problem (which seems likely), it probably wouldn't even require being in denial, just normal unawareness. Do you think of depression as sadness? Lots of people do, but that's only one symptom, and you can have depression without sadness. Having this kind of apathy instead of (or in addition to) sadness is somewhat common. Some people get anger instead.