Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

If you don't mention that you're an Aspie do people realise?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 18 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 41

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 2:19 pm

Until recently I was a NT... but in reality I was an undiagnosed Aspie, go figure!

The person who a few years ago mentioned she thought I was an Aspie, I had known for at least 3 months before I knew she was an Aspie, I treat her as a NT, just as I do many Aspies I walk past on the street or casually interact with.

Many things are said about NT's, many of which I'd also assign to Aspies too.

The more you make it us versus them the more it will be us versus them!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:42 pm

There was no "sometimes" option. Most people won't recognize it, a few will. It is not understood or is widely misunderstood. The odds are somewhat better that a younger person would recognize it.

Recognition you are an Aspie is a different concept then being one. Aspie/Aspergian/person with Aspergers is some you are or are not. I was an Aspie in the 1960's and 1970's when myself and no one recognized it because there was no knowledge of Aspergers. Now the DSM and many Autistics have stopped recognizing Aspergers. That does not mean I am not an Aspie.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:45 pm

rarebit wrote:
Until recently I was a NT... but in reality I was an undiagnosed Aspie, go figure!

The person who a few years ago mentioned she thought I was an Aspie, I had known for at least 3 months before I knew she was an Aspie, I treat her as a NT, just as I do many Aspies I walk past on the street or casually interact with.

Many things are said about NT's, many of which I'd also assign to Aspies too.

The more you make it us versus them the more it will be us versus them!

Since we are the minority in an environment of NTs, we try to mimic them so as to avoid friction and confrontation. That doesn't really make us like them at the core, and the differences do eventually come out. Trying to say that we are similar due to some shared outward characteristics just avoids the reality that we are different. If it were not true, then we would probably not feel like aliens here on Earth.

I think in most cases we probably prefer that other people do not notice the differences.
Generally speaking, society is not very accepting or understanding of differences.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm

How should I know if people realize?? I don't meet new people very often, and when I do, it's not like they tell me if they think I'm autistic.

I seem to recall my parents saying that someone said that I was autistic when I was like five, but that's all I know.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 3:07 pm

I have no need to declare my status on the autism spectrum, it's not necessary. When I meet new people within a short conversation they generally ask, "Why are you so weird?" That's the litmus test, not whether I declare autism or not. I tell people I'm non-conformist, it's easier for them to swallow than a diagnosis. My experience with declaring autism is that either people don't believe it exists and believe I'm making it up, or they'll find a way to extricate themselves from me like it's contagious. If I just say I'm non-conformist and make up BS for my behavior they're slightly more accepting.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 3:16 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I have no need to declare my status on the autism spectrum, it's not necessary. When I meet new people within a short conversation they generally ask, "Why are you so weird?" That's the litmus test, not whether I declare autism or not. I tell people I'm non-conformist, it's easier for them to swallow than a diagnosis. My experience with declaring autism is that either people don't believe it exists and believe I'm making it up, or they'll find a way to extricate themselves from me like it's contagious. If I just say I'm non-conformist and make up BS for my behavior they're slightly more accepting.

I'd just laugh or throw it back by saying something like, "why, what don't you understand?"

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 3:17 pm

When I work in say a factory, I'm labelled as a smart one, intelligent, know it all, etc, however if I go to a university bar I fit in quite well, also if I go to dinner at a "posh" persons house then we tend to get on.

In my experience people judge me not on an Aspie scale, but on a scale of intelligence or do I speak like I know what I'm on about. The other thing is if we have things in common, if I don't talk (can't in fact) about sport then I'm outcast in those groups, but if I'm in a group who are talking about maths and there's a football fanatic then its the sports fan who is outcast.

I live in a rough area full of young gangsta wannabes, many of whom are probably undiagnosed Aspies. Thing is they'll try to put down everyone and not just those they see as possible Aspies. Quite a few of the gangs do actually have Aspie leaders with ADHD, these bounce around with only 1 in 10 comments making sense, but since none of them generally make sense no one notices and they are happy someone else is making conversation.

I was sent to a residential place last year, there was this one Aspie, he was confident in what he knew, fanatical about what interested him, his only problems really were he believed he was different, he questioned the things he said himself in groups (asking for validation rather than stating it like he owned it), when we parted the only advice I had for him was to walk with more confidence, because unless he told you (by asking for validation) then you didn't really know.

Also with him, similar to me he covered his baby faced features with a moustache, me with stubble.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

One person picked up that I was not competent, why? No eye contact. Then there was another person who wasn't treating me well and who knows why and after I left to go wait in the car, she asks my mother "will she get lost?"

But the rest of the time I don't know if anyone can tell I am a bit off. They don't say anything. They might point out things I do and as a child I would be asked if I am ret*d. I was also labeled as weird by some kids at my school.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

A male colleague of mine is an aspie. On some levels he is the complete opposite of me. He makes 'forced eye contact', almost like you are a wall or something and he is just staring at you like he is talking to a shell. At the core, we have very similar traits, it's just that expressing myself and talking about my emotions and life etc has sorta become my thing. He on the other hand is not able to do so, well.. maybe not that easely.

Most of the other colleagues consider him and me 'weird'.
I think he knows he has asperger tho, but he never talks about it. He always says that he does not want to have a relationship with a woman who already has a kid between the age of 1 and 16. He is 36+ years old, but i think he is just making excuses. The real reason that has always been single is that he is unable to have a long lasting relationship, the same reason i am single. He also has a select few subjects that he can talk about during 'smalltalk' and always tries to force a conversation back to his thing.

A female colleague, much older and with much more life experience, lately started to tell other colleagues about the real reason why we both seem to connect and talk with eachother more easely than with anyone else. Kind of makes me concerned. Had to work with her a few days ago and for the first time in 7,5 years.. someone finally asked me about autism. Had me in tears, since all of my life i have been feeling like an alien. I could finally pinpoint what it was a few years ago when i learned about autism. She is the first to notice, everyone else will just think of me as a weirdo, i think my parents know in some way too..

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 3:53 pm

League_Girl wrote:
One person picked up that I was not competent, why? No eye contact. Then there was another person who wasn't treating me well and who knows why and after I left to go wait in the car, she asks my mother "will she get lost?"

But the rest of the time I don't know if anyone can tell I am a bit off. They don't say anything. They might point out things I do and as a child I would be asked if I am ret*d. I was also labeled as weird by some kids at my school.

I'd forget the school stuff now, that's a lot of kids crammed in together, s**t happens ;)

Once away from all that, things will happen but they get fewer and fewer, especially if can move into the right circles.

My Mom would have said something like, "will you ever grow up?" then smiled sweetly and starred until they felt uncomfortable...

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 4:03 pm

Suncatcher wrote:
A male colleague of mine is an aspie. On some levels he is the complete opposite of me. He makes 'forced eye contact', almost like you are a wall or something and he is just staring at you like he is talking to a shell. At the core, we have very similar traits, it's just that expressing myself and talking about my emotions and life etc has sorta become my thing. He on the other hand is not able to do so, well.. maybe not that easely.

I think he knows he has asperger tho, but he never talks about it. He always says that he does not want to have a relationship with a woman who already has a kid between the age of 1 and 16. He is 36+ years old, but i think he is just making excuses. The real reason that has always been single is that he is unable to have a long lasting relationship, the same reason i am single. He also has a select few subjects that he can talk about during 'smalltalk' and always tries to force a conversation back to his thing.

A female colleague, much older and with much more life experience, lately started to tell other colleagues about the real reason why we both seem to connect and talk with eachother more easely than with anyone else. Kind of makes me concerned. Had to work with her a few days ago and for the first time in 7,5 years.. someone finally asked me about autism. Had me in tears, since all of my life i have been feeling like an alien. I could finally pinpoint what it was a few years ago when i learned about autism. She is the first to notice, everyone else will just think of me as a weirdo, i think my parents know in some way too..

I can sometimes force the eye contact, I was always taught to do it in interviews, but its a concious thing. Or I do it when I've lost the plot and I'm trying to show that I am listening!

Has he spent much time with the kid? Have you asked him to have a "manly" chat with the kid?

Next time you could always say no if you wanted to when asked if you have autism (even if your boss or others know! (If challenged for saying yes to others, just say you only said yes because you were winding them up))

I keep getting asked which of my parents is an Aspie, supposedly its genetic...?

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 4:06 pm

rarebit wrote:
Suncatcher wrote:

I can sometimes force the eye contact, I was always taught to do it in interviews, but its a concious thing. Or I do it when I've lost the plot and I'm trying to show that I am listening!

Has he spent much time with the kid? Have you asked him to have a "manly" chat with the kid?

Next time you could always say no if you wanted to when asked if you have autism (even if your boss or others know! (If challenged for saying yes to others, just say you only said yes because you were winding them up))

I keep getting asked which of my parents is an Aspie, supposedly its genetic...?

My dad is a suspect...

I try to avoid the autism label in my work place, it can get me into trouble.

I think you are missing the point a little. He usually says that all woman at his age already have (young) kids and he doesnt want to take care of someone else's kid.

The real reason, ofcourse, is that he cannot have a long lasting relationship due to autism.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 4:13 pm

Suncatcher wrote:
rarebit wrote:
Suncatcher wrote:

My dad is a suspect...

I try to avoid the autism label in my work place, it can get me into trouble.

I just change the subject, if my parents want a diagnosis or to tell then that's up to them and not for me...

I try to avoid labels or else I'll try to contradict them, but I like a bit of fun to diffuse things so I can sometimes just state I was diagnosed as insane as a child and yes my Mom had me checked, then just stare intensely, but remember to laugh / smile after a few seconds, that really confuses 'em!

Someone gave me a Garfield mug as a child, the tagline was "keep smiling, make people wonder what you're up to!"

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 4:20 pm

Suncatcher wrote:
I think you are missing the point a little. He usually says that all woman at his age already have (young) kids and he doesnt want to take care of someone else's kid.

The real reason, ofcourse, is that he cannot have a long lasting relationship due to autism.

OK, I can understand that, also I don't want to have to deal with the ex...

Hmmm, not got much advice for that one then since I've not tried at a relationship in quite a while. The only ones I have had in recent history were under "special" circumstances, which had a natural ending... so who knows...

If your flat / house was being decorated or being disinfected, would he let you stay for a few days?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 4:22 pm

I don't believe people realize that I have Asperger's/Autism because they, usually, have only a vague idea about it.

People usually think I'm "weird," though.

Negatively at first

then, once they get to know me.

in a positive sense.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm

rarebit wrote:
Suncatcher wrote:

OK, I can understand that, also I don't want to have to deal with the ex...

Hmmm, not got much advice for that one then since I've not tried at a relationship in quite a while. The only ones I have had in recent history were under "special" circumstances, which had a natural ending... so who knows...

If your flat / house was being decorated or being disinfected, would he let you stay for a few days?

No. He has no friends either.. he prefers to stay alone and ocassionaly goes on sex dating just to blow off some steam