Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

c700
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2015, 1:19 pm

How to get help for your autism in France, namely in regards to higher education (getting extra time on exams, someone to write lectures down for you, and so on)? And what kind of support is available in France for young adults with autism?

Sadly, due to the psychoanalytic influence in French psychiatry, and its general delay of roughly 40 years compared to the US psychiatry, it isn't uncommon to receive diagnoses such as "childhood hysteria", "disorder of behavior", etc. from the "professionals" who are supposed to fill in your paper work for disability and other services. They outright reject my autism diagnosis from other clinics, saying that "the clinics use American criteria which is influenced by big pharma", "we only use French criteria", "the international criteria is wrong" and other idiotic things of this sort.

How to get proper disability services, when such conditions are prevalent? The French psychiatrists believe that the problem is that I'm "too attached to my mother" and that I need to live in separate psychiatric apartments, while actively working. Please note that such apartments assume that you're autonomous, which I'm not - they don't offer to do anything for you - you have to do everything by yourself. This is very difficult, considering I can't even make my bed, nor fold my clothes.

What to do in this situation?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

I've known 2 WP users from France, both left the site.

I wish I could help. :(

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 7:03 am

c700 wrote:
How to get help for your autism in France, namely in regards to higher education (getting extra time on exams, someone to write lectures down for you, and so on)? And what kind of support is available in France for young adults with autism?
-I don't think there is

Sadly, due to the psychoanalytic influence in French psychiatry, and its general delay of roughly 40 years compared to the US psychiatry, it isn't uncommon to receive diagnoses such as "childhood hysteria", "disorder of behavior", etc. from the "professionals" who are supposed to fill in your paper work for disability and other services. They outright reject my autism diagnosis from other clinics, saying that "the clinics use American criteria which is influenced by big pharma", "we only use French criteria", "the international criteria is wrong" and other idiotic things of this sort.

How to get proper disability services, when such conditions are prevalent? The French psychiatrists believe that the problem is that I'm "too attached to my mother" and that I need to live in separate psychiatric apartments, while actively working. Please note that such apartments assume that you're autonomous, which I'm not - they don't offer to do anything for you - you have to do everything by yourself. This is very difficult, considering I can't even make my bed, nor fold my clothes.
-Maybe, but I really don't know, getting a label for another disability?
there's nothing for young adults, if it can't be medicated it don't exist

Education is not expensive but it doesn't come with a map neither
I saw a person to talk about educational choises once, but he could only repeat the brochure that was handed out.

What to do in this situation?
- get a professional ally, a good social worker can open things up, but finding one first
via le medicin ou mairie, ou caisse?> assistant social
http://www.etudiant.gouv.fr/pid20424/etudiants-handicapes.html
comme d'hab il faut d'abord être reconnu handicapé.

but I find when you've never worked they prefer keepin the doors closed, retry, retry and retry, bore them with that.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 7:17 am

The dreadful situation regarding support for people with AS in France is well known. Having lived there it always surprises me how a country that is so advanced in many areas, particularly medicine, science and the arts, can be so far behind the USA, UK and other European countries in its therapeutic treatment of autism.

I wish I could offer some concrete help, but all I can think of is that you try and get out of the French system and into one that is more attuned to the needs of people on the spectrum. Maybe it's possible to do something through EU channels.