Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 11:13 am

I have researched and adopted the philosophy of Stoicism. It, and a meds change, has dramatically improved my meltdowns.

Any others utilising Stoicism? It's an intriguing philosophy.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 12:29 pm

I'm not terribly well-versed in the ins and outs of original Stoic Philosophy, but stoicism in the everyday sense and usage of the word is something I do practice. Emotional outbursts, whether positive or negative, tend to be chaotic, and I'd rather maintain a measure of self-control.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2015, 2:44 pm

Yeah, I initially came into contact with it through some extreme frugality/minimalism communities, and have done a little bit of reading on it specifically. I wouldn't say that I follow many of the specific practices, such as negative visualization, but I do tend to take a "the obstacle is the way" attitude towards things and strive towards a more ascetic lifestyle. I do think that having the stoic mindset of embracing discomfort as neither good nor bad can have some positive benefits for those on the spectrum.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm not terribly well-versed in the ins and outs of original Stoic Philosophy, but stoicism in the everyday sense and usage of the word is something I do practice. Emotional outbursts, whether positive or negative, tend to be chaotic, and I'd rather maintain a measure of self-control.

The modern use of the word, which people tend to interpret as quiet and emotionless, is very far removed from the philosophy.

The philosophy itself is perhaps most similar to Zen Buddism, and focusses on achieving and maintaining tranquility in both good and bad circumstances.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

08 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

In my instance I am merely hiding behind pseudo-stoicism. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 5:04 pm

I think Stoicism is a very practical philosophy and lifestyle to follow.

I'm glad you've found at least a measure of peace within yourself, Steel Maiden.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

Stoicism's central idea seems to be that we are disturbed not by stuff but by our view of it. I think there's some truth in it, and I'm sure it can be a very helpful idea for anybody who has hitherto tended to over-blame the rest of the universe for their problems, but I also think it's important not to take it too far and imagine that all pain and pleasure is a purely internal matter.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 8:50 pm

I have only a most general knowledge of Stoicism, but to the extent that Buddhist-like letting go of expectations, accepting life on life's terms, living simply, and owning my emotions plays into it, then I'm sorta camping in that part of the forest.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2015, 8:30 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Stoicism's central idea seems to be that we are disturbed not by stuff but by our view of it. I think there's some truth in it, and I'm sure it can be a very helpful idea for anybody who has hitherto tended to over-blame the rest of the universe for their problems, but I also think it's important not to take it too far and imagine that all pain and pleasure is a purely internal matter.

The philosophy isn't completely blind to the impact of external events. In fact much of what separates stoicism from other similar Greek philosophies is that it advocates taking an active role in improving the world around you. However, a stoic is supposed to strive to maintain perspective over what is and isn't within their control (think the serenity prayer), and not dwell on the discomfort caused by things they cannot change (nor become too accustomed to the pleasure of things that they cannot be certain will last).

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

I really admire stoic philosophy, but its not something I've really been able to embrace for myself (except on an emotional level where it seems I'm a natural).

I'm kind of disappointed that I turned out to be more of a hedonist, in the classical sense of pursuing the greatest happiness without overindulgence which begins to detract from the experience, keeping things simple, finding joy in simple pleasures.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2015, 11:23 am

bookworm360 wrote:
I really admire stoic philosophy, but its not something I've really been able to embrace for myself (except on an emotional level where it seems I'm a natural).

I'm kind of disappointed that I turned out to be more of a hedonist, in the classical sense of pursuing the greatest happiness without overindulgence which begins to detract from the experience, keeping things simple, finding joy in simple pleasures.

I think there's something to be said for consciously recognizing that's what you've chosen. I think most western culture tends to default into a crude hedonist mindset, but without the recognition that's what it is and what it values, often even shunning or stigmatizing those who openly vocalize they value what everyone else actually values anyways.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:41 pm

gamerdad wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

The philosophy isn't completely blind to the impact of external events. In fact much of what separates stoicism from other similar Greek philosophies is that it advocates taking an active role in improving the world around you. However, a stoic is supposed to strive to maintain perspective over what is and isn't within their control (think the serenity prayer), and not dwell on the discomfort caused by things they cannot change (nor become too accustomed to the pleasure of things that they cannot be certain will last).

OK that's not so bad then. I probably took Marcus Aurelius too seriously when he said things like "Get rid of the judgment, get rid of the 'I am hurt,' you are rid of the hurt itself." I guess the ancients didn't do precision like we know it today, they were more poetical.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:43 pm

Historians, in ancient times, did not adhere to the standards of objectivity which we take for granted these days.

Some of the stuff they wrote was pretty accurate; other stuff reeked strongly of mythology.