Trouble speaking, because I have nothing to speak of

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jul 2015, 2:03 am

I'm someone that doesn't talk a whole lot. I'm that kid that never raised his hand in class. I'm that poor boy in speech class that would get the biggest applause for at least trying, even if my speech turned out crappy.

It used to be that my lack of speaking in situations that call for it was simply because of sensory overload. But now I'm finding out that I'm having difficulty making the words that come from my mouth come out slurred, soft and mumble-y. Like I had a stroke and didn't know about it.

I always get the "what's that?" or "say that again" when I speak up. But at the same time, when I do speak up I feel like I'm shouting, and feel like I'm slightly angered that I have to repeat myself.

I don't know if my lack of speaking has caused my quality of speech to decrease. I've also had trouble at loud bars (where music plays) because I can't speak loud enough without the perception of angry shouting.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:39 am

Not much point in talking if you have nothing [important] to say.

Just making noise otherwise.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:43 pm

I usually keep quiet when the conversation is about topics I am not interested in or know little about. .
That is why forums are great, nobody will think I am rude when I fail to post about a topic that does not interest me.

I do have a tendency to mumble my words especially when tired or stressed.
I missed my calling as a vocalist in the Grunge Rock era.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ivory
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jul 2015, 10:53 am

There's nothing wrong with not talking a lot. If you're an introvert, it's natural and perfectly okay.

Could your difficulty talking when you want to be a sensory issue? If you can't feel the inside of your mouth well, it can have that effect. Air conditioning does that to me after a few hours. If you believe this could be the case for you, try an electric toothbrush (even the cheaper ones work well). Lightly brush your teeth, tongue and the inside of your cheeks and see if it makes a difference when you talk.