do most of the people with autism have epilepsy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

monjanse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2015, 2:43 pm

I see clips on youtube and when i search for epilepsy it often comes up "autism and epilepsy". Is this bechause most of people with autism does have epilepsy too?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:33 pm

monjanse wrote:
I see clips on youtube and when i search for epilepsy it often comes up "autism and epilepsy". Is this bechause most of people with autism does have epilepsy too?
they can be comorbid it appears
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031934/
i used to suffer grand mal attacks as a child, but i've grown out of it somehow.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:35 pm

Some do, but I don't think it's anywhere near "most".

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

I would not say "most" have both. I have known people with autism and I have known at least one person with epilepsy, but I have never personally met anyone with both. I've certainly never had any symptoms of epilepsy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

Epilepsy occurs with some frequency in people with autism. It does occur with some frequency in neurotypicals.

I believe it is somewhat more prevalent than within the general population in people with "classic autism" and (especially) in people with Rett Syndrome.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm

i'm pretty sure i do. i have not been officially tested. every time i bring it up, i'm either ignored or told to drink more water. *shrug* but i am on the autism spectrum.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 1:55 pm

I'm not epileptic...

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2015, 6:30 am

I'm on the spectrum but have never had a seizure of any kind.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 7:06 am

I had seizures but they're in remission

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:46 am

I had mild epilepsy when I was little. Of all the kids with autism I've been in school with, I'd say a lot had it, but at the same time most did not.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

28 Mar 2015, 11:52 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
I'm on the spectrum but have never had a seizure of any kind.
Same here but I take a seizure med for my OCD which helps a lot.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:38 pm

I have epilepsy and I learned a few days ago that I've been taking the wrong anti-seizure medication for many years now. However, I'll be taken off Carbatrol completely by this summer.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

My brother, who is autistic and developmentally disabled, has seizures. I don't know if it's epilepsy that he has, but he definitely has a seizure disorder. He has to take medication for it.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 7:43 pm

I have no memory of ever having seizures, but my father says I did when I was a very young child. I have never taken any epilepsy medicine, and have not had seizures since that period that my father remembers, but that I don't recall. I am in my mid 50s now. Since I have gone through over 5 decades without seizures, and with no personal memory of such a condition, I qualify as not being epileptic. Apparently, it was a brief phase I went through, and then outgrew. Unfortunately, my Asperger's is a lifelong condition.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

I NEVER had siezures and do not have epilepsy, not even as a teen or during my regression when I was 1. However, I am a potential carrier for a very serious and fatal form of epilepsy known as Lafora disease because I have Mediterranean ancestry (I am part Greek, and part Lebanese. My great grandparents were from Spain, France, and Italy) although Lafora disease has nothing to do with autism. The fact that I have a condition that associates a heightened risk of epilepsy (Autism), might be suspected to me as a symptom of being a carrier for Lafora and other serious neurological disorders that I might be a potential carrier of like Tay-Sachs, Sandhoff, and Fragile X. The fact that the time when the most people with autism or Aspergers have epilepsy also happens to be the time that symptoms of Lafora starts. They time is the teenage years. So, all of what I just said could mean to me that my situation in the way I thought with this topic could be in some way like how of those people who are Cystic Fibrosis carriers have asthma. Tough it is true that people who are carriers of genetic conditions do not show symptons or hints, this is not always true.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 11:33 am

I don't have epilepsy

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.