The feeling of clothes rubbing causing anxiety

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 1:54 pm

Hi,

I have a big problem with items of clothing. Something may look good on me, but when I wear it & walk, if I can feel it rubbing or pinching it sends me into an immediate panic attack. In fact it is the only thing that gives me panic attacks.

As an example; I have recently gone down to a smaller waist size, and needed to buy some new jeans. I went to a clothing outlet & tried loads & loads on. They looked good in the changing-room mirror, & nicely showed up all my contours of my body, but then I had a go at walking in them by pacing up and down in the hallway of the main fitting room.
Material rubbed against my skin, and I couldn't stand it. I didn't buy any of them.

I phoned a semi-support worker & she advised me to look what I have in my wardrobe already & buy the brand and type that is the same but in a smaller waist size. This is now what I have done.

Does anyone else face a simular issue with buying clothes?

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2013, 2:13 pm

Yes, and jeans especially. I totally quit wearing jeans until they became available in a softer, stretchy fabric and came up above the hip bones but below the waist. The ideal clothing doesn't have any pressure points at all-anywhere! Thrift stores are great because the stiffness in clothes may be worn away. As long as we have the patience to shop frequently and don't get in a hurry, it's possible to find nice, soft clothes that look decent.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:06 pm

I am extremely sensitive to clothing too. I have to wear very soft cotton, wool drives me crazy. It feels like it's burning my skin. I never wear turtlenecks, no matter how soft the material - they burn and choke.
I stick with brands that I know. I have about 8 of the same shirt in different colours.

Wildcatb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2013, 3:06 pm

Yes. When I was younger I simply could not wear jeans of any kind. Some fabrics still feel wrong, but as I've aged I've come to deal with/ignore it.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

Yes. When I was a small child, my mother made me wear this pair of plaid woolen trousers that drove me crazy, because I was super-aware of how the inside leg seam rubbed against my inner thighs, and that the fabric was harsh and scratchy. My mother thought I was just being a brat! I wasn't even old enough to have the verbal skills to communicate why exactly I didn't want to wear the pants. I also couldn't wear jeans happily until adulthood. I also hated a woolly hat with a hard wire piece in it that squeezed my head, when I was a toddler.

I have bra issues; cannot stand an ill-fitting one, and can't stand going without a bra. I need the band part to be really tight around my ribs as I hate one that's too large and shifting around on me.

I need all my clothes to feel correctly positioned on me, not because of appearance but because I can't stand feeling seams in the wrong place or clothes that have ridden up or slumped down. I find that sensation incredibly distracting from anything else I'm trying to focus on or do, or even just when relaxing.

Wildcatb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2013, 5:51 pm

Oh... and the seam in the toe of the sock...

<shudder>

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 6:27 am

Based upon the number of replies in a short space of time it seems that this issue is quite common.

I forgot to mention an item of clothing that I just CANNOT wear; gloves.
If it is very cold and I must wear them otherwise I'd risk getting frostbite I wear only one, and switch back & forth as the bare hand gets cold. Even this is horrible.

The effect that wearing a glove on both hands on the same is that I feel like I'm suffocating. I literally panic like I am fighting for breath.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:31 am

StarCity wrote:
The effect that wearing a glove on both hands on the same is that I feel like I'm suffocating. I literally panic like I am fighting for breath.

Any tight clothing can induce claustrophobia and panic in me.

Wool is a full on nightmare.

Best material next to my skin is bamboo. Silk is lovely but I have to be careful with it cos of temperature regulation issues.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2013, 8:21 am

I have this problem, too. I recently discovered scrubs! The brand "Koi" makes scrub bottoms that are fairly stylish and very comfortable. I stocked up on them.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 1:46 pm

My clothing choices are all about how it feels on me and how it moves and feels when I move.

Fortunately my wife is my fashion advisor and won't let me out the front door looking like a complete <fill-in-the-blank>.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

I believe I have outgrown many of my clothing things, but the one thing I can't wear are button-down shirts--the way they're tailored for women, they feel like straightjackets.

However, when I was younger, I absolutely detested the feel of wool--when I was a baby, I had this hat that, whenever my mom put it on me, it would make me cry.

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

I'm not too bad with clothes. The only issues I have are that I can't tolerate woolen clothing as it irritates my skin in an awful way and also labels get to me! I usually end up cutting them out of my clothes, particularly the long ones. I don't understand how people can actually tolerate having labels touching their bare skin!

My blog on life with Aspergers.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:03 pm

Sensory issues can be a b***h to deal with at times... I recommend that you ignore the fashion and buy clothes that YOU are comfortable in

mrbluesky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Nov 2013, 5:20 pm

I cannot wear denim in the house. I can wear it at work, or if out at the shop but not in the house.

RAADS-R: Overall: 202.0
"Language" : 20.0
"Social Relatedness" : 98.0
"Sensory/motor": 48.0
"Circumscribed interests" 36.0
Not diagnosed.

Jaymcgrath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

I am a a man and I have the same problem with fabrics. At first I thought it was just me but this thread gives me reassurance. I avoid wearing wool or trousers that are 100% polyester. I prefer my shirts to be 100% cotton. I find washing them before wearing them for the the first time also helps. My underwear is all silk. I've stated by buy cheap thin trousers for about £19 then pay a tailor to fit a smooth lining in them to make them feel less itchy. This cost around £45 (so more than the trousers themselves) and I feel it is more than worth it. I'm worried about that I'll do if I ever get a job where I have to wear a uniform (my current employer does not require this) I suppose I'll have to have items adjusted or substituted accordingly (possibly at my own expense) and ask my employer to regard this as a reasonable adjustment under UK disability law.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm

I really don't like wearing anything with zippers (aside from coats) and I'm very sensitive to stiff clothing. When I buy something new, I usually have to wash it a couple of times before wearing it. I prefer pants with elastic in the waist and I can't tolerate 3/4 length sleeves. If I'm in something I find uncomfortable, I find myself itching, poking and it and just being generally anxious and unhappy.